Extra Girls In Case Of Injury

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 13, 2012
I have 20 girls on my team which means that I will have some girls who do not make the cut for a round in competition. I have had many complaints from parents as this is a new policy for us this year. I'm trying to explain to them that it is better for the team as a whole, but they are only concerned about paying the money for "nothing". Any advice on how I can handle these parents? Any advice on how I can handle the girls who are not put in a round? I'm assuming those girls will feed off their parents and feel cheated.

As someone who has been made an "alternate" before I can totally see why the parents and athletes are mad. Either these girls should be paying marginally less than the girls on the team or have another team they can double team to or something of the sort. Because it isn't fair to have to sit and watch while your team gets to compete a routine that you know from finish to end and not be apart of it.

We use alternates all the time! and it always start out as an issue with the girls and parents. However, we have never gone to nationals with extra girls because by the time we get there, due to injuries and other unforseen issues, girls quit and the alternates are always used. Also, we do have another team that they are on and they usually split practices so the learn the routine for both teams. So in the end it usually works out well and the parents are happy, so now there isn't so much complaining anymore, but we still get some. currently we have 4 alternates.
I hope this information is helpful.
Good Luck!

A few questions please. Is this a school program such as high school? Is there an A / B squad involved? Was the situation known up front as tryouts were held? Assuming this is a school program, is this concept a fairly typical approach? Are the alternates known or will you be selecting the final team for competitions.

In other sports I have typically seen a JV/Varsity style squads in which you could bring up others to fill in if required. Of course making any team - is generally not a guarantee of playing time.

we are new to cheer so a bit curious about this concept.

I have 20 girls on my team which means that I will have some girls who do not make the cut for a round in competition. I have had many complaints from parents as this is a new policy for us this year. I'm trying to explain to them that it is better for the team as a whole, but they are only concerned about paying the money for "nothing". Any advice on how I can handle these parents? Any advice on how I can handle the girls who are not put in a round? I'm assuming those girls will feed off their parents and feel cheated.

Why do the alternates have to pay full tuition? If you know who the alternates are then name them and cut them lose on the full financial obligation. If you end up needing them then have them pay from that point forward. Maybe have them pay a smaller amount for tumbling or something?

A few questions please. Is this a school program such as high school? Is there an A / B squad involved? Was the situation known up front as tryouts were held? Assuming this is a school program, is this concept a fairly typical approach? Are the alternates known or will you be selecting the final team for competitions.

In other sports I have typically seen a JV/Varsity style squads in which you could bring up others to fill in if required. Of course making any team - is generally not a guarantee of playing time.

we are new to cheer so a bit curious about this concept.
My response above is related to school, not a gym. The costs, while substantial because we compete at Nationals in Orlando, is nothing compared to AS, so the structure may be different. For school, the parents know upfront that we take on alternates and the final competition team is not finalized until just before Nationals in February. But as I indicated, to date, we have never taken an alternate to Nationals with us, because by that time the only girls left is what we need to put on the floor. Girls quit or get injured and all of our alternates get used. The worse case; as the also practice with one of the lower level squads, they will compete with them if they are not needed for our squad.

As someone who has been made an "alternate" before I can totally see why the parents and athletes are mad. Either these girls should be paying marginally less than the girls on the team or have another team they can double team to or something of the sort. Because it isn't fair to have to sit and watch while your team gets to compete a routine that you know from finish to end and not be apart of it.
and by finish to end I meant start to end lol ...i'm sick and have been messing up my words for days lol my apologies!

My response above is related to school, not a gym. The costs, while substantial because we compete at Nationals in Orlando, is nothing compared to AS, so the structure may be different. For school, the parents know upfront that we take on alternates and the final competition team is not finalized until just before Nationals in February. But as I indicated, to date, we have never taken an alternate to Nationals with us, because by that time the only girls left is what we need to put on the floor. Girls quit or get injured and all of our alternates get used. The worse case; as the also practice with one of the lower level squads, they will compete with them if they are not needed for our squad.
thanks for posting the response. my daughter is considering HS next year - so will be curious to find out how they set it up.

I think it's perfectly fine in a school setting. In Allstar, it can get hectic. I was an alternate for one of my allstar teams one year, but it was a higher level team that I had to work all summer to be on, not just "if someone gets hurt you get the spot"; plus I was already on another team in the gym. Needless to say I worked my booty off all summer and got that spot.
Funny story...I remember my 7th grade year of middle school, and I decided to go out for the cheer team, and I was literally the only girl who ever cheered/knew what half the stuff was, and somehow I made alternate, lol. When I talked to the coach about it she said she didn't pick based off of who she had taught before (I'd never had her as a teacher), and "wanted to give girls who'd never cheered/had the opportunity of allstars a chance"...every girl that made the squad had been in her class before. Ironic? I think not. I told her I didn't have time for that.
So I guess it just kinda depends on the setting and the kids. I personally wouldn't take the time to be an alternate on a school team because I don't really enjoy sideline cheer after cheering for my high school freshman year, but that's just me.

Thank you for all the responses! We are a middle school team, but are not associated with our city's middle school. we are a non-profit organization who operates with volunteers. We have manged to build up a very good competitive squad. In previous years, we have only selected the allotted 16 girls to be on the team. There were always injuries and girls who quit a week or so in. This year we took 4 extra and let it be known before try-outs, that they might not be in every round, every time. All the girls have to pay full tuition because they get so much to keep that most of their tuition covers that cost. (shoes, bows, warm-up suit, t-shirt, (all to keep) and uniform rental. We keep costs to a minimum because we are non-profit and non associated with the school. I am hoping that girls who are lacking certain skills will be pushed to achieve them. They have to achieve a back walkover to even be considered for Round 2. I know that girls who really work for it will earn their way into a round. I am worried about the girls who don't and how they and their parents will handle it if they're never put in a round. ...even though they knew it was a possibility. I hate to say: "well, your daughter didn't work as hard as the others, so she's not in this competition". Maybe I'm just being too much of a softie? I feel like this is best for the team, but I hate for anyone to sit out.

Back