All-Star Favoritism

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 20, 2017
Ok , I'm beginning to get very frustrated with the favoritism that goes on at my daughters cheer gym! My daughter gets zero acknowledgment from her coaches ! She has worked her butt off to get her tumble and jumps where they should be .. one of her coaches plays favorites so bad that it's obvious the the rest of the team ! The kid is constantly front and center and has no more skills then my kid or anyone else's ! 3 seasons in a row she is the highlight of the routine ... and she isn't even that good ! Does anyone else deal with this ?

As a coach I can tell you a lot more than just skill goes into choreographing a routine.. we have to think about what's coming next, the performance skill level of the athlete, and their actual skills and technique. What may look like playing favoritism could very well not be. I suggest talking to your daughters coach.

As a coach I can tell you a lot more than just skill goes into choreographing a routine.. we have to think about what's coming next, the performance skill level of the athlete, and their actual skills and technique. What may look like playing favoritism could very well not be. I suggest talking to your daughters coach.
I 100 percent get what your saying .. but let's say you had a kid who couldn't even stay up in a stunt ? The kid staying up was a 50/50 shot everytime ?? But then that same kid gets moved up to a higher level team ?? And still can't stay up in the stunt on either team .. but the one coach puts her front and center every time ? The kids jumps don't even make it off the ground ?

Ok , I'm beginning to get very frustrated with the favoritism that goes on at my daughters cheer gym! My daughter gets zero acknowledgment from her coaches ! She has worked her butt off to get her tumble and jumps where they should be .. one of her coaches plays favorites so bad that it's obvious the the rest of the team ! The kid is constantly front and center and has no more skills then my kid or anyone else's ! 3 seasons in a row she is the highlight of the routine ... and she isn't even that good ! Does anyone else deal with this ?

@CheerMomx1 , I definitely get what you are saying on the matter of favoritism, I think this is a real phenomenon and if it has been 3 years the same cheerleader have been highlighted in the routine, doggone it somebody, anybody, maybe you, needs to step up and mention this to the coach; he/she might be complacent and suggest or ask that they do tryouts for placements so complacency in the routine does not happen.

Sometimees, what usually happen, the coach is not confident in how well the new athletes can handled performing under pressure, so they stick with their regular people...

So sorry this is happening to your cp...

Last edited:
No, this doesn't happen at my gym, and it won't happen at ANY gym that cares about winning and having a top notch program. If you have a point jumper who can't get off the ground...how can you possibly win? Or a flyer or whatever stunt position she has only be successful 50% of the time? The math doesn't work & you are in for a looonngg season. I honestly cannot even fathom this situation. In our gym, you aren't on a team you don't have the skills for, period. So basically any kid could be anywhere at any time. Obviously they all have different strengths and talents and some are better tumblers than jumpers etc....but if a weaker jumper needed to be near the front for transitions, well, it's ok. I would say something, nicely, and if things didn't change I'd just quietly look for a new gym.

If the cheerleader is point jumper and doesn't make it off the ground I'm surprised there haven't been judges remarks on that. My CP was point jumper last year and at one competition on Day 1 she didn't point her toes. Her coach pulled her aside and showed her where the judges specifically said in their comments point jumper didn't point toes. In one competition there was even a comment from the judges about a girl in the back row middle who didn't make it off the ground for jumps.

advice from one parent to another: I, too, was once in your shoes. Or so I thought. I really felt like the coach just didn't like my kid. It wasn't until years later (with a lot of time to think and observe) that regardless of how us "Suzy's moms" think and feel about how another person's CP is being featured, the coaches are going to do what THEY feel is best for the team and they have the final word. Is there favoritism? Of course! Anyone would be naive to say otherwise. But I can assure you, talking to the coach about why Sally is being favored over your CP, will not end well for your CP. If your CP feels as though she's being overlooked, she needs to step up and speak for herself. Let her take responsibility and accountability for her own cheer career. As much as we don't want to admit it, parents just pay the bill. While it may seem harsh, it comes from experience. I told my CP that if she feels like she's being ignored, pushed away, feels her skills are being overlooked, etc. then she needs to speak up and ask "why", "what can I do to improve" "is there another way I can help make the team better". I can assure you, you'll get a much better and heartfelt answer from her coach than if you were to ask.

Have you ever seen the "best" get passed up for a promotion at work, but then realize....The "best" doesn't really have the personality for the job? Or, the "best" has personal issues going on? Or, the "best" is just the "best" in their mind? Or, the "best" might be overworked and need a rest? Or, the "best" is eventually used somewhere else where their "best" is needed more? Or, the "best" attitude stinks and they don't want to reward it? Or, the "best" has discussed they might quit? Or, the "best" can't make it to work on time? ......Sometimes it's favoritism, but usually it's the entire package taken into consideration that others can't or refuse to see. Great jumps with RBF syndrome may not top very good jumps with a face that sells it for the whole team.

Have you ever seen the "best" get passed up for a promotion at work, but then realize....The "best" doesn't really have the personality for the job? Or, the "best" has personal issues going on? Or, the "best" is just the "best" in their mind? Or, the "best" might be overworked and need a rest? Or, the "best" is eventually used somewhere else where their "best" is needed more? Or, the "best" attitude stinks and they don't want to reward it? Or, the "best" has discussed they might quit? Or, the "best" can't make it to work on time? ......Sometimes it's favoritism, but usually it's the entire package taken into consideration that others can't or refuse to see. Great jumps with RBF syndrome may not top very good jumps with a face that sells it for the whole team.
This!!!

Also judges look at way more places than just the point, I spread my "best" around the formation.

This!!!

Also judges look at way more places than just the point, I spread my "best" around the formation.

As a judge, I briefly look at point jumper but mostly watch everyone else. There is no need for me to watch the point cheerleader for dance or jumps---they're going to be great; that's why they're point. I'm more interested in everyone else. However, if they don't have pointed toes and at least level level jumps, I will comment on it.

Back