All-Star Fixing The Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but what happens with NCA, UCA, NCATA if cheer becomes an NCAA sport? I don't know much about American college sports, but would it just add another championship to the list?

Along with safety and standardization of skills, I think that there also needs to be some baseline standardization for facilities, meaning that in order for an organization to be certified under one of the governing bodies it must have some minimal safety equipment. You can go above and beyond what is minimally required - but in order to train athletes there would be some mandatory safety provisions facilities wise (such as mats). The problem I have with some rec and school teams is that they try to train athletes on building and tumbling skills with no safety equipment.

I also think that it will be important for all teams operating within the structure to have credentialed coaches. Trained in safety standards and skill progressions.

Sad it will never happen. Alot has to do with a power struggle for who feels they should be in charge. I could not agree with you more about a back round check on coaches and more training for judges. The problem with that is nothing is free $$$ . It would really be a problem for smaller gyms financially. With that said maybe they should concentrate on more rules , regulations and safety issues.There also has to be a complete separation between sideline and allstar. Specially if you want allstar to be recognized as a sport.

There is definitely a power struggle happening. Many veteran cheer folks fear a takeover of our sport by USAG or FIG, who have not yet shown a high level of knowledge or respect for all star or the cheer industry in general. Many others understandably fear Varsity gaining more influence than they already have.

I think each side probably has some valid points. I do wish that we wouldn't feel the need to demonize the other side to try to make their case. Regardless of your personal viewpoint, neither side wants children getting hurt. The sooner we can tone down that rhetoric, the sooner we can probably reach a solution.

I look forward to seeing this, but I have to ask - who set this up? Doing this properly would be a very complicated process requiring a very expert, extensive background in cheer techniques, physiology, biomechanics, etc. With cheer's incredibly diverse and complicated skill set, it would be a massive undertaking to create a set of progression standards that is appropriate and realistic for different types of cheer in different environments. I would hope this was done by an expert cross-section of coaches, trainers, & medical professionals.
Yes, there were 38 doctors and lawyers and sports medicine experts and great cheer people(names you know and love too) and yes it was the hardest thing I have ever done, the time put in over two years was staggering. I hope to get to sleep once it is released. lol

Along with safety and standardization of skills, I think that there also needs to be some baseline standardization for facilities, meaning that in order for an organization to be certified under one of the governing bodies it must have some minimal safety equipment. You can go above and beyond what is minimally required - but in order to train athletes there would be some mandatory safety provisions facilities wise (such as mats). The problem I have with some rec and school teams is that they try to train athletes on building and tumbling skills with no safety equipment.
I did this too. A great risk manager in sport over 50 years helped us with this!

Yes, there were 38 doctors and lawyers and sports medicine experts and great cheer people(names you know and love too) and yes it was the hardest thing I have ever done, the time put in over two years was staggering. I hope to get to sleep once it is released. lol
I did this too. A great risk manager in sport over 50 years helped us with this!

I would enjoy seeing an organization come along with standards based on more thorough research than the NCSF has accomplished. At the moment I don't believe like that's going to happen though.

Thanks for all you have done.

I would enjoy seeing an organization come along with standards based on more thorough research than the NCSF has accomplished. At the moment I don't believe like that's going to happen though.

Thanks for all you have done.
Where in the world would you get a crazy idea that it's not thorough enough?

cheersafety said:
Where in the world would you get a crazy idea that it's not thorough enough?

I'm certain it's thorough enough. I'm doubtful another proposal will come along that is any more thorough

I'm certain it's thorough enough. I'm doubtful another proposal will come along that is any more thorough
You confused me. Don't worry though often times change in sport risk management comes through insurance and litigation, or government policy changes, not from manufacturer of products. But it could happen faster if organizationally it was adopted. I still have faith that Varsity will be proud to be a part of a cheerleader making sports safer. This important research has been used for a generic risk management program too. And as much as you all hated hearing about the injuries in cheer, it is an epidemic across the board in sports so when cheerleaders came out in droves to tell their stories it wasn't to hurt anyone. It was to help make change. People in sports are listening, even the NFL. So these cheerleaders did the world a favor in a way, we taught educators and policy makers what needed to be done to make it safer for kids in all sports.

The light is at the end of the tunnel, I promise. Cheer will be a sport, sideline will carry on and all stars will decide if they want to evolve to be a sport or a performance or in between. (Disclaimer: Is it ok that I love both? I love what the NCATA did, but I also love the glitz and glitter of all stars.) Great time for cheer, lots going on and new groups interested in what we do.

One thing everyone always agrees on. A lot of athletes love to do it!

And they are the only ones I am worried about letting down. They deserve to do what they love in a safe environment for as longs as the want to do it.

Oh lord it feels good to be back on the boards!
Don't crucify me, but I like where the USASF is going with the rules....
Now the way they went about presenting them to the entire cheer world is a whole other story.
Tonights drama stories is just one of the many reasons I have cut down my judging to mostly Billy Smith's spirit celebration/CGA competitions.

Back