High School Flyer size

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 10, 2022
I'm 15 years old, 5'4 and 1/2, and my weight fluctuates from around 123-127 pounds but its really just muscle weight. I have really good balance and I hold myself well but am I too big to continue being a flyer?

90% of people will tell you size doesn’t matter. Unfortunately, sometimes size matters. it depends on many things such as the make up of the team and what stunting skills are being performed. How strong and experienced are the bases on the team? Who are you competing against to get a flyer spot? It’s important to remember Cheer is a team sport. Hopefully you are willing to do whatever position is needed.

Last edited:
A good explanation from @King

It really depends. For a coed team, yes, you are probably too tall to fly. That doesn't mean you can't, but coed flyers tend to be tiny. For all girl, you may be ok, since size doesn't matter quite as much, but you may be borderline there as well. I would suggest to keep working it, but also know that the time may come when you are grounded. If nothing else, you make yourself more valuable if you are able to fill multiple positions on a team.

Depends on the make up of the team. Your description of your height and weight falls within 2 standard deviations of the mean for girls your age. Where do you fit best?

I have two girls on my team who are about the same size as you, and they squat 1 1/2 times their body weight, and do hanging cleans with about 75% of their body weight. Conversely, I have two girls who are slightly smaller than you who have to help each other bench press the bar, but they are phenomenal flyers.

Back