Flyer Weight

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 5, 2012
Hey y'all! My cousin and I were debating early about something. If a girl is 5'4" and 130 pounds does she weigh too much to be a flyer? My cousin says yes and I say no it depends on how strong your bases are and how you can hold your weight.

I don't think she is too big! Like you said it all depends on if she can hold her weight and also how strong the bases are. I've based girls who are super tiny, but feel heavier than others because they don't hold their weight!

tumblr_m3lznfkLiE1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

A 90 pound 7th grader can feel heavier to base than a 130 pound high schooler, if the 90 pound girl is a noodle in the air (especially if the 130 pound girl has more muscle to hold her weight). Technique and holding your weight in the air are the most important......no one is ever necessarily "too big to fly". They may be needed elsewhere on their team, but that doesn't mean anyone is incapable.

This is very true. Many cheerleaders in my area don't feel like it makes sense. How do you suggest I prove this is possible?

This is very true. Many cheerleaders in my area don't feel like it makes sense. How do you suggest I prove this is possible?
Weigh a cooked noodle and an object like a large pencil(should be heavier than the noodle) separately....then have the kids try to hold up a the noodle from the bottom vs. holding the large pencil (like they were stunting). That's an easy visual that if something is tight and together, it is much easier to hold vs. something that moves all over the place even though its technically lighter.

thanks for your help! How do you get "shimmies"?
There is the option on the bottom right of each comment to "shimmy" a post if you like it/agree with a post/enjoyed the post/etc. Every shimmy you get from people shows on your "shimmys recieved" count under your name!

No she doesn't weight too much. On my high school squad I am the second lightest flyer but yet on my allstar squad I am the heaviest. It depends on how well you can hold your weight and how strong the bases are.

It mostly depends on how tight the flyer is. If they are super loose they will be way heavier than them squeezing.;)

Yes, I HATE the thought that all flyers are short, stick figures with no muscle. There are most certain tall flyers, muscular flyers, or whatever. But everyone thinks you have to be itty bitty. And that's where a lot of people get put down on their size.

Back