All-Star Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2015
How big are the flyers on your team?
I am 5'0 and 130 pounds, my team hasn't decided who will fly yet, I am bigger (not taller) than a lot of girls on my senior 3 team. I am by far the most flexible and I have been a flyer before but can a flyer be bigger than her bases? Should I try flying or basing?

I believe you can do whatever you put your mind to. If you have proper form, tecnique and can hold your weight and really lift your weight off your bases then you can fly.

Ultimately it comes down to what is best for the team as a whole. You will carry a lot more pride knowing you did something for your team by accepting the fact that they made you a base even if you really wanted to fly.
I think you should try basing and see how you do.. Its always great to be versatile in cheerleading. Base and Flyer is a perfect combination. While you might not fly for the stunts/baskets.. you might be a base but maybe you will fly for pyramid.

You just never know :)
Hope that helps !

size is relative, and not the be all and end all for flyers. Factors that will play into the decision of who will fly:
1. Who has flown before/ has level appropriate flying skills.
2. Work ethic
3. Relative sizes of the girls on the team
4. How stunt groups work together
There are probably many more, but no one can say simply based on your size wether you " should be flying" and that answer could be different for the same girl based on the situation and who else is on the team. My gut says that if you haven't flown before that on a level 3 team you will be basing unless there aren't enough experienced flyers. This would be the most likely course of events at our gym, but there is really no way for anyone but your coaches to say for sure. I would just go in with the attitude that whatever position you are asked to fill is ok and you will do your best wherever you are needed. Girls with this attitude are more valuable than gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It all depends. My freshman year of high school I had a flyer your size and she was the best one on the team. She was light as a feather up there because she knew how to hold her own weight and had great technique. If your coach wants you to try basing you should be open to it.

Back