All-Star Front Punch And Injuries

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
I have known many girls from different gyms that have gotten hurt/injuries while doing front punches. Is there anything specific CP's can do or watch out for to prevent injuries in this skill?

My biggest pet peeve with this skill is coaches allowing girls to land basically sat against their calves. That kind of downward pressure on your knees, bending THAT much, is extremely dangerous. You should be landing in a 90 degree squat at the most, and if you're not, you're not ready to do the skill. Basically the same as any tumbling, make sure your CP has strong knees and ankles, doesn't take off or land with feet apart, avoid landing with straight legs, especially when stepping out of the skill. I've done it a few times and it's some next level pain.

Makes sense, but these are girls who almost always land it pretty, then all of the sudden out of the blue they land it funny and get hurt. Should they roll out of it if it feels off? .....,,

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Makes sense, but these are girls who almost always land it pretty, then all of the sudden out of the blue they land it funny and get hurt. Should they roll out of it if it feels off? .....,,

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It's hard to say without knowing the athlete. It's a tricky skill to bail out of. In gymnastics, every athlete I encountered was taught how to fall out of every single skill they were doing. We would have them purposely do a skill wrong, or over spot them, so they would learn how to fall out of it. Same goes for a punch front. You can feel a bad punch front generally off the hurdle or take off, but the most you can do at that point is a big dive roll, and if the athlete hasn't practiced that, your best bet is to throw it and land on your butt (and never. EVER. place your hands back in a fall. Broken wrists and arms galore from that).
My best guess for what you describe - girls who have the skill and out of the blue injure themselves on it - is weak knees, legs, or ankles. Eventually those parts of your body are just going to give up if they're not strong enough.
In my opinion the best way to bail out of a punch front is a dive roll, but you can really only do that if you feel it being off in the hurdle, then you have enough time to adjust your set, punch, etc. If it's off on take off, the athlete just has to do the skill as they know how, and not allow the mistake to cause them to a) throw their hands to the ground, b) lose the tight, tucked body position, or c) just flail mid-air. 9 times out of 10, if an athlete is "bailing" in a skill, but sticks to their technique and doesn't flail and freak out, they will avoid injury.

Me and my friend were in a tumbling class for like a solid year, and our instructor was pregnant and was then on maternity leave, and so we had a sub for a bit, and she was so. mean. Anyway, she refused to spot my friend on her punch front (she just needed a little more boost). She just threw it and she landed locked legged. She hyper extended both of her knees and could barely walk for two weeks.
Also like the other user said, dont fall with the arms behind!!

Back