Getting Back Into Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 25, 2009
I was wondering if anyone quit cheerleading for a couple years, then decided to get back into it. I cheered from the time I was five until 20. I just moved to the Orlando area and am looking to join an Open team. I know everyone is different, but I was wondering how difficult it is to get back into the swing of things :help:. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous!

ETA: By the way, I am now 22, haven't tumbled for almost two years but I still stunt around for fun.

I don't think it should be too hard, if you're going to be ok with being sore for a little while after. Start going to open gyms to stunt or tumble. Tumble especially. I find I will lose skills if I don't practice them regularly, though they do tend to come back pretty quick once I start working them again.

It kinda depends on what you were doing while you took the time. I took a year off in college to focus on my studies and didn't take care of myself, didn't work out hardly at all. Getting back into the swing of things was rough. The best thing you can do for yourself is condition and get your muscles used to exhaustion. As far as tumbling goes, some skills are like riding a bike, your muscles have the memory you just have to remind them. The biggest thing that will hold you back with tumbling is fear. A fall or misstep when you're older hurts (physically and your ego) more at an older age than when you're younger. My first practice back I found people reminding me of things I learned years ago, I felt kind of dumb letting the basics slip but give yourself time. You'll get back in it, you just gotta stay positive.

I took a year off completely when I was 20 then I coached for 5 or 6 years before I joined a team again. Since I had been coaching it wasn't too hard to get back into the swing of things. The biggest difference was the attitude of the gym. I went from a real tough love gym to a positive reinforcement gym. You can do it!

I took a year off completely when I was 20 then I coached for 5 or 6 years before I joined a team again. Since I had been coaching it wasn't too hard to get back into the swing of things. The biggest difference was the attitude of the gym. I went from a real tough love gym to a positive reinforcement gym. You can do it!

Thanks I just made top gun IAG5 and couldn't be more excited! I have a lot of work to do on my skills still, but I'm willing to work for it!

Thanks I just made top gun IAG5 and couldn't be more excited! I have a lot of work to do on my skills still, but I'm willing to work for it!

Awesome! Congrats! What do you have to work on, your tumbling skills?

Awesome! Congrats! What do you have to work on, your tumbling skills?
Yes! Stunting came back without an issue (I have always been a fairly strong base). I've struggled with tumbling my entire cheerleading career, specifically with mental blocks. Right now we practice once a week, I go to open gym once a week, and then privates whenever I can afford it. Also, thank you very much for the good wishes!

Back