Getting Out Of An All Star Contract?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hi CheerJourno1 and welcome to the boards.

Any chance you are willing to divulge particular info about yourself to help establish some credibility amongst us more established posters to know you really are who you claim to be?

I hope you understand we do have have a large number of minors on this forum and have had many users come in here claiming to be something they are not in the attempt to chat up the kids and become more friendly.

Understood completely. My name is Max Gershberg and I work at HBO Sports. I am based in New York and work as an investigative journalist. I am happy to discuss more about the details of my reporting to date via email or elsewhere, if someone has thoughts and info they care to divulge, but wish to do so in a more private forum. Knowing what I do already about the cheer industry's current status quo, I understand many are reticent to vocally discuss some of the problems. I am happy to use solid and credible information on deep background, or to have initial conversations take place off the record, as a means of advancing my reporting but respecting the privacy of those willing to engage initially. I hope this proves helpful. Thank you again.

Understood completely. My name is Max Gershberg and I work at HBO Sports. I am based in New York and work as an investigative journalist. I am happy to discuss more about the details of my reporting to date via email or elsewhere, if someone has thoughts and info they care to divulge, but wish to do so in a more private forum. Knowing what I do already about the cheer industry's current status quo, I understand many are reticent to vocally discuss some of the problems. I am happy to use solid and credible information on deep background, or to have initial conversations take place off the record, as a means of advancing my reporting but respecting the privacy of those willing to engage initially. I hope this proves helpful. Thank you again.

Would you please post this as a separate thread in the All Stars forum where it will get more visibility?

A previous gym had this type of contract. Long story short, multiple parents took them to court and the gym lost. You cannot legally charge someone for services not rendered. I would be leery of any gym with this type of rule in place. A close lawyer friend of mine has also told me that youth sport contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on in a court of law.

This year was the first year my daughter tried out at multiple gyms. I found it highly suspect that they wanted my banking info at tryouts. We ended up at a different gym and I gave the gym who asked for banking info the wrong account number. Im so glad I did since we decided on a different gym.

We have our lawyer look at our contract every year and my lawyer says these contracts are crap and there is always a way out. Good luck.

Nope, instead of suing us ours is threatinig to hand out fees over to a lawyer/debt collection agency. This is after they added some fees to the bill. It's well over 2 thousand dollars all for leaving the gym in October. I don't think it's legal to charge for services not rendered. They have items we paid for and they are refusing to hand them over until we pay the bill in full. That's not fair since no o e has their bill paid off for the year but they haven't left this gym either.
Hello - so, I'm wondering has anyone ever gotten out of an all star contract?

There is one gym in the area that has registrations ending soon and I wanted to register to get a placement, because I'm almost certain my CP will be going there. However, there are 2 other gyms we want to try out for before making a commitment. It sucks because this gym is the only one with a contract that makes you legally responsible to pay the whole season if you drop out after registering.

so, I guess I have 2 questions.

Does anyone else's gym require a signed contract? (such as the one I described)

.. and, If so, have you ever gotten out of one successfully? - I have heard one horror story where someone was taken to court because they could no longer afford the program and the gym owner demanded that she pay all season fees and tuition for the whole year by the end of the month she left.

I was thinking about having one of my attorney friends look over the contract to see if there is any loophole.

I can see why a contract would be helpful. Routines depend on specific people. Expenses behind the season's operation depend on specific people. So if a specif person drops, everything has to be re-arranged, sometimes at the last minute. That can cause a loss of time, funding and level of performance. If they are making the contract known upfront, yeah, its fair to keep it. If you can't for sure afford it, don't do it. If you do drop later, from something unforeseen, I'm sure they will work with you for a payment plan before going to court.

I can see why a contract would be helpful. Routines depend on specific people. Expenses behind the season's operation depend on specific people. So if a specif person drops, everything has to be re-arranged, sometimes at the last minute. That can cause a loss of time, funding and level of performance. If they are making the contract known upfront, yeah, its fair to keep it. If you can't for sure afford it, don't do it. If you do drop later, from something unforeseen, I'm sure they will work with you for a payment plan before going to court.

The issue is often the contracts are always enforceable and a gym owner cannot sue for or collect $$ for services not rendered, Uniforms not received, competition fees they may not have paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back