Getting Out Of An All Star Contract?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

she will not be on level one..

she is learning level 3 skills right now.

so the first gym is saying level 2 or 3, but they will make final determination after the summer. The second gym said youth level 2 and we're waiting to try out for the other.

I do not want her on a level 1 or even a level 2 team, when she is doing privates weekly to gain new skills. I dont want her to have wasted talent and skills. I hope I make sense. I want her to be on a really competitive team with the appropriate skill level.
Ut oh....:eek:

so the first gym is saying level 2 or 3, but they will make final determination after the summer. The second gym said youth level 2 and we're waiting to try out for the other.

I do not want her on a level 1 or even a level 2 team, when she is doing privates weekly to gain new skills. I dont want her to have wasted talent and skills. I hope I make sense. I want her to be on a really competitive team with the appropriate skill level.
With all due respect, if she is only learning level 3 skills then she doesn't belong on a level 3 team, and if a gym will put her on a level 3 team without solid level 3 skills then chances are they won't be a really competitive team, so you may be in a bit of a pickle.

If she doesn't have ALL her level 3 skills right now, it isn't realistic to expect a level 3 placement. If someone is willing to place her on level 3 they are either Shady Athletics looking to get your cash by any means or a small gym that is desperate to fill a spot. I would be carefully examining anyone who told you they would place her on a 3, because they are not going to be in any position to do well if they are placing everyone this way.

Are you looking for a junior level so she is in a better position to fly?

Last edited:
Our gym will sometimes place kids slightly beyond their skill level if they need the position filled (excellent flyer/base) and they are very close to level appropriate skills, and have reasonable expectations that they will get them by the end of the summer. I was in your shoes a few years ago, where I wanted my CP on the highest level/most competitive team out there. After watching her struggle with mental blocks over the course of a few years, I have changed my tune. It is very frustrating to watch your athlete be one of the lone ones on a team without the level skills, not to mention that the athlete is very frustrated as well. Kids like to feel they contribute to the team and it is most fulfilling to them when they can full contribute in all aspects. It builds their self confidence and avoids any kind of complex or stress to get a specific skill before the "next" competition. They can still work the next level skill set during the course of the season, so they are ready to go for next year.

That was an example, sweetie. It doesn't matter what age division proceeds the level. Level skills are the same across all age divisions.

Yeah, I can see how that is fair, given that the rechoreography fee isn't exorbitant. But, if I have to pay September tuition then I expect that it is my right ( if I choose) to be coached in September. And if part of my tuition is going towards comp fees that month, then I should also be admitted to the comp if I choose. I totally understand that when people quit, the gym has the right to make themselves whole again. I'm just against charging for services that aren't used.
They can show up to practice, but they'll be expected to help their replacement and nugget in formations. Want to attend comp, fine. They'll be a nugget or front spot. My rules are given out at parent meetings before tryouts and again on commitment day. My parents are aware of what they're signing. If I have to find a replacement, teach the replacement and change/rechoreograph a routine because you(general) can't handle your commitment, you're covering the fees involved.

Shopping around for a gym that will give you the placement you want is your right as a customer.. but what happens when three months from now, come choreography CP isn't hitting her new skills or solid enough to throw them in the middle of an action packed routine and they move her down to level 2? or halfway through the season CP is miserable because she got her level 3 wish and is spending half the routine crouched down in the back left corner while the rest of the team gets to perform?

I know this thread is about contracts, but you might also want to look at the success of the gym across the board at all levels and which has the most room for your CP to grow as an athlete over a few seasons. And of course, which doesn't have a contract or at least not a shady one with things you don't agree with.

Good luck to you and CP!

Hey there- I am a journalist working on a project about cheerleading. I am basically just trying to immerse myself in the cheerleading world, hoping to do a story about the growth and success of cheer, but also a realistic look at the challenges faced by parents, kids, coaches, etc. This question got me wondering: what type of financial commitment do you typically make to a gym up front? What is a rough estimate of cost per family to be involved in one of these gyms? Excuse my ignorance on all of this (I am still learning :) and thanks in advance for any thoughts, feedback.

Hey there- I am a journalist working on a project about cheerleading. I am basically just trying to immerse myself in the cheerleading world, hoping to do a story about the growth and success of cheer, but also a realistic look at the challenges faced by parents, kids, coaches, etc. This question got me wondering: what type of financial commitment do you typically make to a gym up front? What is a rough estimate of cost per family to be involved in one of these gyms? Excuse my ignorance on all of this (I am still learning :) and thanks in advance for any thoughts, feedback.
It varies greatly from gym to gym, region to region, and even team to team. Generally, though, around here a good rough estimate that will cover all costs including travel, uniform, and all fees is $4000-$5000 a year.

If you look at the tryout packet (provided by most gyms) there will be a cost breakdown included

If you look at the tryout packet (provided by most gyms) there will be a cost breakdown included

Thank you. I also am looking specifically at the summer camp circuit. What would you say is rough average price for a typical UCA or NCA summer cheer camp? What does the registration paperwork look like- comprehensive liability waivers, etc? Thanks so much for the insight. Hugely helpful.

Thank you. I also am looking specifically at the summer camp circuit. What would you say is rough average price for a typical UCA or NCA summer cheer camp? What does the registration paperwork look like- comprehensive liability waivers, etc? Thanks so much for the insight. Hugely helpful.

You probably won't find what you are looking for in this thread. If you have not already done so, you might want to start your own thread regarding this. You can also reach out to these camps to get more information.

I believe there is a summer camp thread in the high school section, or you could start your own! And I used to staff those camps, and when I did private camps so had to have all the waivers before we could do anything. So those are definitely included in the paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi CheerJourno1 and welcome to the boards.

Any chance you are willing to divulge particular info about yourself to help establish some credibility amongst us more established posters to know you really are who you claim to be?

I hope you understand we do have have a large number of minors on this forum and have had many users come in here claiming to be something they are not in the attempt to chat up the kids and become more friendly.

**Does size matter for a base?**

Hi CheerJourno1 and welcome to the boards.

Any chance you are willing to divulge particular info about yourself to help establish some credibility amongst us more established posters to know you really are who you claim to be?

I hope you understand we do have have a large number of minors on this forum and have had many users come in here claiming to be something they are not in the attempt to chat up the kids and become more friendly.

**Does size matter for a base?**

Thank you, @Cheer Dad

Latest posts

Back