All-Star Gym Hopping? The Good, The Bad And The Ugly...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheergoogle

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2010
I have been reading the discussion about the level 5 World release and think we should have a separate thread the discuss the good, the bad and the ugly of the problem...gym hopping.

I am curious to hear opinions on these types of questions:

When is too late in the season the switch gyms? Prior to first comp, prior to routine choreography...

Why do parents who switch late in the season actually expect the entire routine to be worked around adding their child?

What about kids who are bumped from a team to make room for a new member late in the season? What if said child who was bumped was having a tumble block?

What about the kid who gym hops because they were not placed on an appropriate age/skill level such as a 9 year old placed on a Sr age team or a level 5 athlete who is placed on an age appropriate Youth 2 team...

What are acceptable reasons to gym hop midseason?
What are unacceptable reasons to gym hop midseason?

Does accepting gym hoppers reflect poorly on the gym?

i'm not really sure if im considered a "gym hopper" since i completed the season and then switched gyms. Most people i have talked to that have switched gyms is because they're trying to find one that fits their needs. For example, i was very happy with gym A, but i had a triple toe back and specialty to full, and i got placed on a junior 2 team instead of a level 5 team. i stayed the full season and competed on jr 2, and didn't complain. Gym B, however, i was very happy with and i made the level that i deserved to be on. i think that's when 'gym hopping' is appropriate.
i guess it really just depends on which gym makes you happy.

So many questions! I'll try to answer most of them in one explanation.

I think it's unacceptable to switch gyms in the middle of the season just because the team isn't winning or you aren't flying, etc. You should know your place before choreography and way before your first competition. You should know the level team you're on, the coach, the people you're with, all of those problems are exposed relatively quickly. If you want to switch, I believe there is enough time to leave without hurting the old team, and you're able to not create problems with the new team. There aren't many excuses for leaving in the middle of the season. If you are moving, or you feel that your coach is mistreating you, then I say that you should leave, but that can be objective. The coach may feel that the athlete isn't focused and has to be on them constantly, but the athlete feels that they are just being called out.

As for the parents, parents want the best for the child and think that since they are paying so much money, things should be worked in the child's best interest. No one wants to pay hundreds of dollars for their child to be on a team for them to be in the back or hardly participating in the routine. Why pay all that money if their CP is only front spotting, dancing, but otherwise standing in the back?

Honestly to me, gym hopping in the middle of the season is ridiculous unless they have to move or something tragic happened with the CP and people at the gym. Switching gyms is okay when the season ends though. You aren't committed anymore. But my parents have taught me to finish what I start, and that's a golden rule I think everyone should follow if they can.

So many questions! I'll try to answer most of them in one explanation.

I think it's unacceptable to switch gyms in the middle of the season just because the team isn't winning or you aren't flying, etc. You should know your place before choreography and way before your first competition. You should know the level team you're on, the coach, the people you're with, all of those problems are exposed relatively quickly. If you want to switch, I believe there is enough time to leave without hurting the old team, and you're able to not create problems with the new team. There aren't many excuses for leaving in the middle of the season. If you are moving, or you feel that your coach is mistreating you, then I say that you should leave, but that can be objective. The coach may feel that the athlete isn't focused and has to be on them constantly, but the athlete feels that they are just being called out.

As for the parents, parents want the best for the child and think that since they are paying so much money, things should be worked in the child's best interest. No one wants to pay hundreds of dollars for their child to be on a team for them to be in the back or hardly participating in the routine. Why pay all that money if their CP is only front spotting, dancing, but otherwise standing in the back?
Ended my allstar cheer career. The gym was the most competitive gym around us, the other gyms had many rules that didn't work with us. We we're valued members ( I would even say a favorite) but we didn't do what other parents did for their cps to succeed so it often held me back. I was placed on lower level teams while other girls were placed higher and obviously lacked the skills. Took two years off and went back when gym got brought out, and it was fine but i ended up being pushed back even more than before. Shopping for new gym, we may have to take the bullet and drive to big name gym.

I think there are several types:
*Ring-Chasers: Jump ship when it looks like their team might not go to Worlds. Heads to another local gym in hopes they'll take them and get a bid. Always amusing when this tactic doesn't work out. The whole reason this rule was invented.
*Grass-is-Greener: Uses competitions as a means of scoping out other, potentially better gyms. Transfer to several gyms throughout the years, before either realizing no gym will be perfect, or quit the sport because it's not 'what they wanted.'
*Gym-Shoppers: Looking for the perfect gym. Something is not quite right at every one. Hopefully settle down, usually after finding the gym that is 'just right.' Not ALWAYS a bad thing, but it can become a problem when they leave for silly reasons.
**Agers and Levelers: Usually a subset of Gym-Shoppers. They often transition from several smaller gyms, usually landing at a bigger gym due to level/age restrictions. Either the previous gyms didn't have the team they wanted to compete on (due to CPs age/ability and not having enough people at the same level) OR won't put the CP on that team (either due to numbers or claiming CP isn't ready). As the bigger gyms usually can accommodate several ages/levels, that's where this subset ends up.
*Star Searcher: Always looking for the gym that's going to make little Suzie the STAR. Either having her fly, making her point for dance or jumps, or letting her be last pass, etc.

I think it is VERY rarely a good idea to leave a gym mid-season, unless there is either verbal, physical, or sexual abuse going on at a gym. Or issues of safety or shady business dealings. Not because little Suzie is no longer point, or last pass, or taken out of the air. Not even if the team isn't having a perfectly amazing season. Not every team can win every time, otherwise it's no longer a competition, it's an exhibition..Working through a difficult time builds character. I don't mean a demoralizing time, but even getting through a rough season and coming out unscathed builds an AMAZING sense of accomplishment. All the times I've felt truly proud of myself were when I worked really hard through a tough time, doing something that wasn't great but had something to show for it.

When is too late in the season the switch gyms? Prior to first comp, prior to routine choreography...
In my opinion you have one month after you try out and are place on a team to move. After that I have always believed as soon as that first check is written to the Program you are committed to that program. Come hell or high water. After all you made a commitment to your TEAM. The end of the season is when you should leave. No one says you can not go to several tryouts and find a new team. Do your home work and research the gyms.

Why do parents who switch late in the season actually expect the entire routine to be worked around adding their child?
They should not. Keep in mind the other kids that were there prior to your CP walking into Gym B went to tryouts, followed the rules, and made a commitment to the TEAM from the start.

What about kids who are bumped from a team to make room for a new member late in the season? What if said child who was bumped was having a tumble block?
They should still be part of the TEAM, perhaps as an alternate but still part of the team. Work through the block and fight for your spot back. This is a TEAM sport and the best should be on the floor. I think if you walk through the door from Gym A and there are no spots on the team you are an alternate. Compete on another team until you the opportunity presents itself for you. Come to each and every practice learn every spot. If there is a spot take your place and Sparkle and Shine.

What about the kid who gym hops because they were not placed on an appropriate age/skill level such as a 9 year old placed on a Sr age team or a level 5 athlete who is placed on an age appropriate Youth 2 team...

Goes back to question 1. You should know what team and level you are on with in the first month.

What are acceptable reasons to gym hop midseason?
You move, Gym closes, Coach gets in trouble or leaves. If money is the issue it should be ok to leave if something could not be worked out, but you should not go to another gym. Money issues are money issues no matter what gym you are at. Your current gym should be in a better position to help out than a new one

What are unacceptable reasons to gym hop midseason?

If you get kicked off of your TEAM at Gym A. If it is not acceptable than it is unacceptable. Honor your commitment to your TEAM

Does accepting gym hoppers reflect poorly on the gym?

NO, unless they are activity recruiting and encouraging the action.

I think it is VERY rarely a good idea to leave a gym mid-season, unless there is either verbal, physical, or sexual abuse going on at a gym. Or issues of safety or shady business dealings. Not because little Suzie is no longer point, or last pass, or taken out of the air. Not even if the team isn't having a perfectly amazing season. Not every team can win every time, otherwise it's no longer a competition, it's an exhibition..Working through a difficult time builds character. I don't mean a demoralizing time, but even getting through a rough season and coming out unscathed builds an AMAZING sense of accomplishment. All the times I've felt truly proud of myself were when I worked really hard through a tough time, doing something that wasn't great but had something to show for it.[/quote]

Pretty much the perfect answer! There are reasons to leave mid-season but only for the above-mentioned!

Back