All-Star Have You Ever Acted Like A Crazy Cheer Mom & Done Something You Regretted?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a coach I can see why the coach was still upset, you interrupted a class and confronted a 13 year old child.
Now I find it shocking that a gym has had multiple parents and athletes complain about this girl and has done nothing. As a parent don't think I could stand by and put up with what you have over 4 years. Personally I would be asking serious questions as to why nothing has been done about this issue since it has been going in for so long.
I also coach acrobatic gymnastics and last year we had issues with parents of younger children and how they spoke to and interacted with their child's 13/14 year old partners. This had nothing to do with bullying and basically boiled down to a pushy mother who thought the older girls were not as committed as her and her daughter, magically forgetting the practices she had missed. This woman spoke to these girls and once we witnessed her verbally attacking them we also found out she had sent them messages demanding to know why they hadn't come to class and one of their parents had already spoken to her about addressing them instead of a 13 year old. We had to have very strong words with this mother and it has been made clear to her if we ever hear about her verbally or by text attacking any child again like this she will be out.
I know this situation is very different to yours but if for whatever reason the coach has failed to believe the bullying complaints then all they will have seen is an adult verbally attacking a child. As a teacher I'm sure you can imagine that you may not turn to sunshine and smiles just because the parent apologised.
I would find out what your gyms anti-bullying policy is and what is being done to address your complaints. I would also be wanting to have a meeting with the gym owner, if they have any sense and experience with children they will listen to you. If they don't then I'd say their are very serious questions about how they are operating.
I wish you good luck and hope your cp's can get free of this bully.

"As a coach I can see why the coach was still upset, you interrupted a class and confronted a 13 year old child. " I definitely agree & know I messed up. The gym has tried many, many times to help the situation. They have talked to the girl privately, they have talked to her in small groups, they have talked to her parents, they have talked to the girls who were upset about her treatement to give them positive ways to respond & deal with the situation, etc. After talking with her things do get better for a few weeks, but then it eventually all starts up again. I love our gym and they deserve to be represented in a very good/positive light. They care about all the kids.

I didn't mean for my post to come off sounding quite as harsh as it did. My little sister was bullied and I have just had an athlete transfer schools because of bullying so it gets me quite riled up.
I'm glad to hear they are trying to address the situation and no doubt by next practice the coach will also have calmed down with you as well. I just thought I would add from my experience why the coach was still off with you and I really do hope for your sake that the situation improves soon as it can't be good to watch your kids go through this.

Where are the 'mean girls' parents in this whole situation? Have you or any of the parents ever spoken with them before, I can tell you from experience, they might at like they can't believe she would act like that and take up on her side....but they know the 'real' her and would hopefully help the situation out. On the flip side a lot of people say that you learn from your parents, hopefully they are not talking to her like that. Goodluck

I didn't mean for my post to come off sounding quite as harsh as it did. My little sister was bullied and I have just had an athlete transfer schools because of bullying so it gets me quite riled up.
I'm glad to hear they are trying to address the situation and no doubt by next practice the coach will also have calmed down with you as well. I just thought I would add from my experience why the coach was still off with you and I really do hope for your sake that the situation improves soon as it can't be good to watch your kids go through this.

I didn't think you were being harsh. I just wanted to share that our gym has tried to stop the bullying. I know they care. Unfortunately, the bullying has still been an issue.

Where are the 'mean girls' parents in this whole situation? Have you or any of the parents ever spoken with them before, I can tell you from experience, they might at like they can't believe she would act like that and take up on her side....but they know the 'real' her and would hopefully help the situation out. On the flip side a lot of people say that you learn from your parents, hopefully they are not talking to her like that. Goodluck

The parents are nice, but in huge DENIAL. They think other girls make up stories about their angel because they are jealous of her.

Or coach has point blank told a child that if one more incident occurs that child will be off the team and means it - sometimes it has to get to it. Hopefully the gym owner is involved. Something has to be going on with this girl that the only way she feels good is by hurting others. Perhaps the gym needs to look at a bullying program. I though I read somewhere on fierce board that there is a pledge that many cheerleaders are signing off on - maybe your gym needs to look at that so this child gets that it is not okay without feeling it directed at her???

"As a coach I can see why the coach was still upset, you interrupted a class and confronted a 13 year old child. " I definitely agree & know I messed up. The gym has tried many, many times to help the situation. They have talked to the girl privately, they have talked to her in small groups, they have talked to her parents, they have talked to the girls who were upset about her treatement to give them positive ways to respond & deal with the situation, etc. After talking with her things do get better for a few weeks, but then it eventually all starts up again. I love our gym and they deserve to be represented in a very good/positive light. They care about all the kids.
This isn't public school we're talking about where everyone must be allowed to attend. Out with her!

I was wondering why she was even allowed to still be there if this has been ongoing with more than one other child and the coaches are aware of the behaviors.

My only guess is that they don't want to give up on her and keep hoping she will truly change for the better.

I was wondering why she was even allowed to still be there if this has been ongoing with more than one other child and the coaches are aware of the behaviors.

I had an issue with a girl on my team one year (it wasn't a 4-year-on-going problem but it lasted all season, and I wasn't a child...I was 17/18 when it happened and she was 18/19) but the coaches refused to do anything about it for some reason. It got to the point where she threatened violence (more than once) but nothing ever happened to fix the problem. That blew my mind.

My only guess is that they don't want to give up on her and keep hoping she will truly change for the better.
I hope so, but the kid is not going to change until she herself addresses the fact that she has been mean to the other kids and the program needs to find out if there's more than meets the eye with this situation (i.e. the child being jealous of your cp, the child being frustrated with a skill, etc.) and find a solution to the problem. Tell the coach,
"I am extremely embarrassed by my behavior (Which you shouldn't have been, it's the motherly instinct, but whatever) and I wish that I didn't go to the child. I was totally out of line. However, I have addressed this issue before, and it has not been resolved once. My daughter told me that she called her a loser, and my daughter also told me that that the girl said that she's in the back because she can't dance or jump. If there is more than meets the eye as to why this child is acting this way, I am terribly sorry for my ignorance, however, any excuse is not a permit to bully another kid. I want my child to be happy, so please take action ASAP."

I hope so, but the kid is not going to change until she herself addresses the fact that she has been mean to the other kids and the program needs to find out if there's more than meets the eye with this situation (i.e. the child being jealous of your cp, the child being frustrated with a skill, etc.) and find a solution to the problem. Tell the coach,
"I am extremely embarrassed by my behavior (Which you shouldn't have been, it's the motherly instinct, but whatever) and I wish that I didn't go to the child. I was totally out of line. However, I have addressed this issue before, and it has not been resolved once. My daughter told me that she called her a loser, and my daughter also told me that that the girl said that she's in the back because she can't dance or jump. If there is more than meets the eye as to why this child is acting this way, I am terribly sorry for my ignorance, however, any excuse is not a permit to bully another kid. I want my child to be happy, so please take action ASAP."

the maturity in your posts always impresses me i wish all 12 year olds were like you:rolleyes:

Back