All-Star Heel Pain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just thought I'd update if anyone was interested:

We opted NOT to do the MRI, because my insurance would not cover it and it was going to cost $1500. But after that, her heel was swelling every evening. The Dr. feels she has a stress fracture and explained to me that he had ruled out severs because of the exact location of the pain. The only thing the MRI would tell us was how severe the stress fracture was, because he feels with 99% certainty that it is the problem :( So, considering her age, weight, and activity level, he didn't feel it was really extremely severe (not needing a cast or immobilized). she's been completely off PE and tumbling for 2 weeks now and is doing SO MUCH better. He feels that with kids this young it should heal completely in 3-4 weeks. SO, after 4 weeks of being off of tumbling, if she's pain free (she's currently been pain free for 48 hours), we will give it another full week and try tumbling again. At that point she'll be hitting the Winter break, etc and probably get more time off and IF it starts hurting again, we will bite the bullet and get the MRI at the first of the year...when at least at that point we'll have the advantage of our insurance deductible being met for the full year instead of the last 4 weeks of the year.

Would have never thought that was the cause. Guess my BA in communications doesn't really help much when it comes to medical issues. Glad she is doing better. Hope she has a pain free season from here on out.

i had shin splints this year during field hockey. it was from changing different surfaces all the time like turf to grass to gym floor etc.. my symptoms sound exactly like hers but in her heel. I didnt go to the docs but my coach made me rest for about 3 weeks. theyre all better now :) hope this helped.

We opted NOT to do the MRI, because my insurance would not cover it and it was going to cost $1500.

I do medical insurance/billing/preauth, etc., for a living. I am just curious as to why exactly they wouldn't pay for the MRI. Is this just a provision of your insurance that they do not cover the high-tech imaging? The only time I have ever had a denial for imaging is when the physician that I was working with thought he was God and insisted it would be approved without doing regular films first (it wasn't).

I do medical insurance/billing/preauth, etc., for a living. I am just curious as to why exactly they wouldn't pay for the MRI. Is this just a provision of your insurance that they do not cover the high-tech imaging? The only time I have ever had a denial for imaging is when the physician that I was working with thought he was God and insisted it would be approved without doing regular films first (it wasn't).

We have to meet our deductible first, which is $1500. The MRI cost $1546. We haven't paid any of our deductible.

Was that the list price for the MRI, or the adjusted amount?

List, adjusted is just over $500, BUT, with our insurance, dh's company will reimburse $1000 of our deductible. So at the end of the day, it costs more to pay cash, plus we wouldn't have the advantage of having our deductible met.

List, adjusted is just over $500, BUT, with our insurance, dh's company will reimburse $1000 of our deductible. So at the end of the day, it costs more to pay cash, plus we wouldn't have the advantage of having our deductible met.

Gotcha. Well that is good. So basically, it will come down to $500 and change, DH's company will reimburse you for that, and the $500+ will go towards your deductible (and you don't even have to pay it!) nice!

We opted NOT to do the MRI, because my insurance would not cover it and it was going to cost $1500. But after that, her heel was swelling every evening. The Dr. feels she has a stress fracture and explained to me that he had ruled out severs because of the exact location of the pain. The only thing the MRI would tell us was how severe the stress fracture was, because he feels with 99% certainty that it is the problem :( So, considering her age, weight, and activity level, he didn't feel it was really extremely severe (not needing a cast or immobilized). she's been completely off PE and tumbling for 2 weeks now and is doing SO MUCH better. He feels that with kids this young it should heal completely in 3-4 weeks. SO, after 4 weeks of being off of tumbling, if she's pain free (she's currently been pain free for 48 hours), we will give it another full week and try tumbling again. At that point she'll be hitting the Winter break, etc and probably get more time off and IF it starts hurting again, we will bite the bullet and get the MRI at the first of the year...when at least at that point we'll have the advantage of our insurance deductible being met for the full year instead of the last 4 weeks of the year.
Don't know where you were looking at getting the MRI but I have the hospitals are way overpriced. They quoted me 2100 and Central Texas Imaging in New Braunfels was about $300. I never knew to call around- now I always shop around- unfortunately with 2 back surgeries I have had lots of MRI's, scans, etc.

Wow! So happy to have a health plan that covers MRI's.

My CP who is 8 has been having heel pain lately also. She has gotten a lot of new skills lately which makes me think that maybe she is landing hard on her heels as her way of sticking it. I had bought her the heel inserts for her shoes before Thanksgiving and she used them for a week. She had 4 days off for Thanksgiving and, "Knock Wood" she hasn't complained since and hasn't used them in a few days. Hopefully your daughter will recover with a little rest.

Back