All-Star Heel Pain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I did a search on "heel pain in chidren" and Sever's Disease comes up. That has to do with the calf muscles pulling. It would seem something like this would be more common with younger people, but in any case, getting to a podiatrist to properly diagnose what it is is the way to go.

http://www.epodiatry.com/heel-pain-children.htm
My son has this from football and he has to do stretches, cut off a couple of cleats, ice it and take advil. But, he is able to play and practice.

Bumping this to say that cp is still in pain. Severs has been ruled out. She's had an xray that was inconclusive (could have a fragmented heel bone, but since she's a kid, it's unclear). Now she is being scheduled for an MRI to Determine the exact problem.

@SheCheers oh no! I really hope you find a solution soon. I hope it's not adversely affecting her cheer too much. I recently developed plantar fasciitis and it is a KILLER! I steadily got worse and worse until I just couldn't jump any more, which is sorta an essential part of being a coed flyer. I was given a severe lecture by the sports physio who told me that I'm training like an elite athlete and I should be getting a proper sports massage every week, two weeks at the least. Unfortunately if I did that I wouldn't have the money to cheer :eek: . Bit of a Catch-22 situation (which, on a side note, I just started re-reading, such an awesome book). I'm doing my best with ice, getting my base to rub me down after practice and resting as much as possible. Wearing proper sneakers rather than ballet flats or flip flops helps a LOT. Maybe you can take your CP to get a massage to help alleviate some of the muscular pain while you wait for the scans?

Bumping this to say that cp is still in pain. Severs has been ruled out. She's had an xray that was inconclusive (could have a fragmented heel bone, but since she's a kid, it's unclear). Now she is being scheduled for an MRI to Determine the exact problem.

I am curious what tests they did to rule Sever's out?

My daughter was diagnosed with Sever's, and it seemed like they sort of landed on that when they couldn't find anything else.

They've ruled out sevrers because it's been going on so long, she's been getting airrosti every week since the end of September (@bowcat this is a targeted muscle work/massage that's supposed to get you to 90% recovery within 3 treatments, in case you aren't familiar) and doing daily stretching and strengthening exercises and it hasn't helped at all to lessen the pain even a little bit. Oh and I'm assuming they didn't see a growth plate injury on the xray.

The dr. Does seem to think that whatever the injury, it should heal completely within 3-4 weeks.

Wow I just read all this. I hate that your daughter is having to go through that. I hope they figure it out and get her on the right track so she will feel 100% again.

My cp has been complaining of her left knee. It will hurt for days go away. Then come back all over again. It happens on the same days every week like clock work. I know it's from tumbling because it's always starts Tuesday nights and the other days she tumbles/practices most. Then the pain comes back again after the next practice! So frustrating even though y'all are talking about your cp's heel I think I need to take my cp to the doctor!!

Good luck with everything and let us know if anything else comes of it!!

My cp has been complaining of her left knee. It will hurt for days go away. Then come back all over again. It happens on the same days every week like clock work. I know it's from tumbling because it's always starts Tuesday nights and the other days she tumbles/practices most. Then the pain comes back again after the next practice! So frustrating even though y'all are talking about your cp's heel I think I need to take my cp to the doctor!!!

We've dealt with the knee stuff before. Airrosti REALLY helped it. After 3 visits she was 100%. If you don't have a foam roller, get one, it's amazing for the knee pain:

http://www.performbetter.com/webapp...151&catalogId=10751&languageId=-1&pagename=91

Some say to roll and roll and roll and others say to just apply pressure for a couple of minutes and move to the next sore spot, etc. we've done both and think they both work.

Have you tried ordering the Tully heel cups to put in her cheer shoes just to give her a little cushion. They helped my CP with her heel pain. You can order the from a gymnastics site.

Wow, the perfect thread! Well, tonight I tumbled on our gym floor, like not a cheerleading gym but actual basketball gym and the impact on one of my heels from a tuck hurt so bad. It's happened before but the pain usually goes away, well now the pain is just getting worse and to top it all off I have a competition tomorrow and can barely walk. Any advice anyone? :(

I think im going to get the heel cups. At first they thought the pain was caused by a combination of calf muscle tightness and foot arch tightness which would actually get worse if the heels were lifted, so I didn't get them.

As for competing tomorrow with the pain.... Ice it a lot. Stretch a lot and tape your foot and heel (you can google directions)

my friend @Megan :) has this same problem and its because when she tumbles she lands on her heels to much instead of her toes. i feel bad for her because it really hurts her.

my friend @Megan :) has this same problem and its because when she tumbles she lands on her heels to much instead of her toes. i feel bad for her because it really hurts her.
btw that smiley is just becuse she has a smiley in her name, not because im happy with the situation, just tto clarify lol

Back