Help Being Aggressive

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
My daughter is 11. She has a standing back tuck and passes that end in a lay out. She has had these same skills for quite awhile now. She recently started privates with an awesome Coach. He told her the problem is that she is not aggressive. She has good technique and skills, but lacks aggression. He is 100% right. Even her personality is passive, easy going, go with the flow,etc. What can she do to work on being more assertive and aggressive on the mat?

My daughter is 11. She has a standing back tuck and passes that end in a lay out. She has had these same skills for quite awhile now. She recently started privates with an awesome Coach. He told her the problem is that she is not aggressive. She has good technique and skills, but lacks aggression. He is 100% right. Even her personality is passive, easy going, go with the flow,etc. What can she do to work on being more assertive and aggressive on the mat?

When I use the phrase "be more aggressive" to an athlete, generally I mean they need to be quicker, more explosive in their movements. In many cases, the athletes are hesitant to go as hard as they can due to fear of injury, or lack of knowledge or confidence in the skill.

Other times though, that lack of explosive power is not a lack a psychological constraint, but instead a physical constraint. Muscular Power is the result of muscular strength AND the speed in which a muscle can be contracted.

To test and see if the issue is psychological or physiological, I generally have an athlete do a few straight jumps with an arm swing. If the athlete has a high straight jump, with correct movement patterns, I know that he issue is individual and will try breaking down the skill and teach it in a different way, perhaps give visual demonstrations for visual learners, or specific drills for kinesthetic learners.

However, I see that the athlete does not do the straight jump with correct movement patterns, or does have good movement patterns but does not go anywhere, I know I need to work on strength and coordination with that cheerleader.

I hope this helps!
-Coach Matt
Full-Out: Cheer & Fitness

When I use the phrase "be more aggressive" to an athlete, generally I mean they need to be quicker, more explosive in their movements. In many cases, the athletes are hesitant to go as hard as they can due to fear of injury, or lack of knowledge or confidence in the skill.

Other times though, that lack of explosive power is not a lack a psychological constraint, but instead a physical constraint. Muscular Power is the result of muscular strength AND the speed in which a muscle can be contracted.

To test and see if the issue is psychological or physiological, I generally have an athlete do a few straight jumps with an arm swing. If the athlete has a high straight jump, with correct movement patterns, I know that he issue is individual and will try breaking down the skill and teach it in a different way, perhaps give visual demonstrations for visual learners, or specific drills for kinesthetic learners.

However, I see that the athlete does not do the straight jump with correct movement patterns, or does have good movement patterns but does not go anywhere, I know I need to work on strength and coordination with that cheerleader.

I hope this helps!
-Coach Matt
Full-Out: Cheer & Fitness
Thanks!!!!

I might also recommend some Karate classes. It teaches power with control. I've seen a lot of power cheerleaders who have taken these classes as their supplement vs. ballet or other classes. They stretch you, strengthen you and provide power from within.

Back