All-Star Help My 6 Year Old Is Afraid To Fly

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you so much, I feel so
Bad for posting this because I don't want one to think I'm forcing her. She would be devastated if I told her she couldn't do youth this season. I don't want to let her down but it's not fair if she doesn't get it together!
So thank you I appreciate it and I will let you know!!

Ok, so this is probably not going to be a popular opinion but here goes anyway. I think this is a perfect time for her to learn either she sucks it up and flys or she stays on only the mini team. I know it sounds harsh but kids are so coddled today, getting trophies and awards for just showing up. This kind of stuff doesn't happen in most other sports...I have boys in addition to my CP and I see how these things are handled in their sports. With my boys it's pretty cut and dry....the football team needs a center but you want to play defensive line, coach doesn't need a defensive lineman...guess what? You play center or you don't play plain and simple! I understand it may be disappointing for her not to be on the youth team but if they need a flyer and she either doesn't want to or cannot fly due to fear then so be it. She stays on mini and gives it another try next season with this lesson under her belt. I've been through a similar situation with my own CP so I don't want you to think that I'm just being an insensitive jerk LOL! Now, that's not to say she can "force" herself to fly if she is truly afraid...that's just not going to work no matter how much she tries. Some kids just aren't meant to fly...but she's so young I have a feeling she'll be able to push through the fear as it is all new to her. I'd say get her into the gym with some older bases and work the absolute bases so she can begin to get more comfortable and confident. Working slowly should help her get over the fear :) Good luck!!!

I know where others are coming from, I want to fly too but am so scared! Im so small, I have to front spot because I cannot base! I am just going to have to push through it and try, and if she really wants to fly she will do the same thing! She is so young, she has alot of time to learn how to fly too :)

Just wanted to share an updated video-
The first stunt was just tried the other day, and the second stunt was like the 3rd practice at that time she was still working on her cradle!
She loves it!! She told me the other day "flying makes me feel comfortable"
How she came up with that idk!
But I am proud

http://youtu.be/Gbq87K-7RmE

Thanks for everyones encouragement!

So I know this is so old, and after competition I was going to put up another video of all her stunts this season to thank y'all but tonight I got a pic of something that makes her so happy. It's crazy she likes stunting more then tumbling now, and id never thought I'd hear her say that!!
Anyways she is only level 2 so she don't pull stretches in an extension or anything. However, I personally never thought if she went level 3 in the future that she would be able to fly in an extension. But tonight some of her favorite cheerleaders wanted to put her up and I didn't think that they would go straight to an extension and they did and she pulled her over stretch.
No it's not good as she pushed her but out but just to see her not be scared even of the stretch in an extension made my day. No she ain't the best 6yr old flyer ever but I love seeing my baby improve beyond my imagination!
4757a5bb-6342-a8fa.jpg

if she is that scared and is small enough that she has to fly would ask the coach if she could go in a thigh stand and gradually get higher each time such as (thigh stand, a little higher, halfway between thigh stand and elevater, then higher, then elevator, and etc..), maybe she will warm up to the height

if she is that scared and is small enough that she has to fly would ask the coach if she could go in a thigh stand and gradually get higher each time such as (thigh stand, a little higher, halfway between thigh stand and elevater, then higher, then elevator, and etc..), maybe she will warm up to the height
sorry did not see post above :wasntme:

I don't understand why flying is considered to be such an esteemed position that we would push our kids to do it if they were scared or didn't want to.
My cp is small- like 3rd percentile for her age- and she does happen to fly but if she didn't like it, I'd do whatever was necessary to help her excel as a front spot or whatever role she could fit.

I don't understand why flying is considered to be such an esteemed position that we would push our kids to do it if they were scared or didn't want to.
My cp is small- like 3rd percentile for her age- and she does happen to fly but if she didn't like it, I'd do whatever was necessary to help her excel as a front spot or whatever role she could fit.

I didn't push her to do it, she wanted to she was just scared of the height! She loves flying even more then tumbling now. I don't consider it a lost cause as I could of told them don't even try to have her fly but she wanted to do it and I'm glad I believed in her. Check above and see my update!
Thanks for your opinion.

Because not all stunts are designed to need a front spot and depending on the different body types/sizes of that specific team not all kids have the upper body strength to be bases/back spots for their teammates.

fullpass said:

The flyers are who everyone is looking at during stunts. It's a spotlight, so yes, it's an esteemed position but so is last pass, point jumps, point dancer. No parents should push for any of these because the pressure to be in those positions is already immense. I don't think @Kris10boo ever pushed for her daughter to fly (not that you said SHE did) but she was the smallest girl in both of her teams and that's where she was needed.

Latest posts

Back