Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Aussiekat

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 23, 2011
This is a little gross, but I need help :(

I've recently developed eczema (so not fun) and after trying dietary and other non-medical treatments I've finally had to go to the doctor and get a mild medicated cream. My main problem is that it's exacerbated by rough clothing and contact. Most of the tees I wear to cheer are basic cotton, not rough but definitely not soft. And the usual skin-to-skin contact that sometimes causes slight friction burns means I break out in more itchy spots. Prime example is any sort of cradling makes my back and sides itch. I find myself absentmindedly scratching in between stunts, whenever I get frustrated, when I'm stretching... pretty much ALL the time I'm not actively reminding myself not to scratch. I dread having to put on my uniform top. My team mates have been pretty good about not being grossed out by me (I love them) but is there anyone who has experienced this that can help out?

Girl stress exacerbates it so you're probably experiencing some pretty rough patches (no pun intended--really). I find that a heavy duty topical ointment (NOT the cream) works best. It has the consistency of Vaseline but its heavily medicated. I slather it on at night and try not to slide out of bed. My dermatologist keeps me stocked with big jars of it and it's called triamcinolone (0.1%)
It keeps me soft and smooth and I've used it since I was a young child. I hope it's available to you!

a69370c8-00e4-64ea.jpg

This is the full name on the jar. Yes I get a full pound of it about every 4 months lol

Is it over-the-counter at drug stores? Cos I can pick up a vat when I come over for worlds.

I have eczema. I have had it ever since I "became a woman". For me it is definately hormone related. Things that irritate it:

1. Cold weather. It is usually less humid in the winter, thus, drier skin.
2. Hormones. It always went away when I was pregnant, came back after the fact. Ironically, if I was on OCP's, it wasn't as bad.
3. Hard water. In MD we were on a well, which is super drying even with a softener.
4. Hot showers!! I actually had eczema all down my back and legs and it was in a pattern of the way the shower jets hit. I was a teenager then and just didn't get it.
5. Showering too much.
6. Clothing seams. Just like you said, rough clothing. It always irritates my sides.
7. I know you might think this is gross, but sometimes just avoiding soap except in the "necessary" areas and keeping it off the eczema helps. Soap is drying.
8. Cut your nails short. It helps so you don't dig so much.

Sunlight always helped me. My eczema always went away in the summer, but please don't go tanning to get rid of it! The cream cupieqt put above is the standard for eczema. When I was younger some brilliant doctor gave me betamethasone, which is very potent, and unfortunately it thinned my skin, and now I have tons of clear stretch marks and my legs look very untoned for being 29 and a size 6. I don't think they even really use it anymore, it's been at least 15 :)eek:) years since I was given that stuff, and I used it very liberally.

There is a cream called Lidex cream. I have used that for years and it is amazing. You have to have a prescription for it though.

MomOf2ThatsMe Uh oh, my doctor prescribed me betamethasone 0.02% cream. Would you recommend that I ask for a different type of cream? None of the women in my family have been prone to stretch marks, possibly because none of us really grew very much lol! But yeah, a little concerned for my long-term skin health.

Sunlight always helped me. My eczema always went away in the summer, but please don't go tanning to get rid of it! The cream cupieqt put above is the standard for eczema. When I was younger some brilliant doctor gave me betamethasone, which is very potent, and unfortunately it thinned my skin, and now I have tons of clear stretch marks and my legs look very untoned for being 29 and a size 6. I don't think they even really use it anymore, it's been at least 15 :)eek:) years since I was given that stuff, and I used it very liberally.

There was a very brief period when I was a teenager that my dr took me off the triamcinolone bc they were worried about "thinning the skin" but it was later proven not to have this effect thank goodness!
All of the above is sound and correct advice. It even helped my stretch marks from Brady disappear bc of the vanishing cream included in the ingredients (yay!)

MomOf2ThatsMe Uh oh, my doctor prescribed me betamethasone 0.02% cream. Would you recommend that I ask for a different type of cream? None of the women in my family have been prone to stretch marks, possibly because none of us really grew very much lol! But yeah, a little concerned for my long-term skin health.

Mine was quite a bit stronger than that ;)

I'll put it this way... having 2 babies- no stretch marks on the belly. I gained 50 pounds with my first one too. Using heavy steroids for years- stretch marks. As long as you use it on the spots, and not slather yourself from waist down for years like I did you will probably be fine. If you have any questions call your doctor :)

Alrighty, advice noted. I'll use this cream as prescribed and not worry about it too much, and when (hopefully it's an IF) it resurfaces I'll ask for triamcinolone (I googled it, it's available here :)).

I already keep my nails short out of respect to my fellow athletes. I use hypoallergenic cream washes rather than soap, but I am rather fond of hot showers, twice a day :oops: The Aussie sun is pretty harsh, so I've been sunsmart since I could walk. The thing I'm most concerned about is the normal sun exposure I get day to day on exposed parts of my body that I've been using the cream on... like my neck and arms. I'm probably worrying too much considering I've only been on it for a week, not years! Must stress less, apparently it exacerbates the problem for me. Easier said than done with worlds in three weeks :eek:

I recently started getting eczema type rashes and I'm 99% sure it is from doing more training days and sweating a lot in the hot weather. It was very warm lately and I was getting it in spots where I'm held and caught when flying (i.e. on my ankles from my back spot). The best product I have found in Aus for it is called PINETARSOL, which was recommended by a doctor. It smells horrible (like pine needles!) but has completely fixed mine almost 100% in about 2 weeks. I just used it every morning in the shower. Also it's super cheap and available from the chemist.

Pinetarsol smells atrocious! I remember it from having chicken pox as a kid. If it gets worse I might have to try it :(

MiniRazzi has massive eczema - he's had it since birth. Our go-to for prevention is bathing daily, in warm, not hot, water, then immediately slathering on whatever medicated cream/ointment the dr prescribes. Follow that with Eucerin cream (available OTC in a big tub) over the whole body. We've done this for years.
I'm with cupieqt , ointment is way more effective than cream, and the non-steroid meds did nothing for Mini. He uses Elicon (Mometasone) ointment on any patches that pop up.
ETA: the dr has had us using Dove Body Wash for as long as I can remember. Less drying than bar soap.

Back