OT High End Makeup Must-haves

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I had an absolutely awful reaction to the Nutrogena Oil Free Grapefruit face wash a week ago and I'm trying to do like damage control to fix what got ruined lol. My face was completely swollen for two days, and since the swelling went down my face has been SUPER dry and peely. It's been a week. I'm exfoliating and moisturizing regularly and I don't know what else to do. The only makeup I've worn is bb cream.
Anyway, I had a sample of the Peter Thomas Roth FIRMX Peeling gel a few months ago from Sephora. It's $48 for a 3.5 ounce bottle, but it seriously peels off all of the dead skin on your face instantly. I personally wasn't that big of a fan, mainly because I don't usually need this kind of product for my face, and I don't know if I'd actually need it Lin the long run. But anyway, has anyone actually purchased this? I'm at my wits end and I just NEED my face to be normal. Id love to hear what some other people have to say about it before I spend the money.
Or has anyone had this problem before, with any other solutions? It would help so much to hear about what helps lol. I'm so clueless when it comes to skincareike this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a Real Chemistry 3-minute peel sample in my birch box, and I loved it SO much, that I bought the real thing. And it's awesome. I have really good skin so I don't use face wash, but when I used the peel my face looked SO much better than it did before! It was awesome! I also use the glam-glow thirsty mud when my face is dry and the super mud when I need my pores shrunken. I'm almost out of both of those though and they're SO expensive so I probably won't rebuy and just ask for them for a holiday. lol

I got a Real Chemistry 3-minute peel sample in my birch box, and I loved it SO much, that I bought the real thing. And it's awesome. I have really good skin so I don't use face wash, but when I used the peel my face looked SO much better than it did before! It was awesome! I also use the glam-glow thirsty mud when my face is dry and the super mud when I need my pores shrunken. I'm almost out of both of those though and they're SO expensive so I probably won't rebuy and just ask for them for a holiday. lol
Thank you!!! Def going to look into this stuff :) and ugh I know how you feel i alwayyyyys get addicted to the expensive stuff and get so sad when I'm empty! Lol

What kind of skin do you have? (oily, dry, combination, etc)
Pretty normal but leaning toward combination probably. I can go without moisturizer and have been for a while (oops) but I should be using it bc it does help my skin look/feel better and I want to take better care of my skin. I just got lazy when I got off accutane and it wasn't as necessary anymore. :oops:

Pretty normal but leaning toward combination probably. I can go without moisturizer and have been for a while (oops) but I should be using it bc it does help my skin look/feel better and I want to take better care of my skin. I just got lazy when I got off accutane and it wasn't as necessary anymore. :oops:

I have combination too, but I'm a lot older so I use some anti-aging stuff too. Favorite moisturizers are Murad (I use the one for wrinkles and acne prone skin, or just acne prone skin), and I love love love Philosophy moisturizers. They have a couple that are oil free. They're light, not greasy, and I don't ever break out from them.

Does anyone have suggestions for a shampoo for dry scalp that's also safe for coloured hair? (I'm Canadian, so Ulta isn't an option since they won't ship to Canada.)
Not high end, but I have been using Herbal Essences Cleansing Conditioner Color Me Happy because I needed something gentle. I still use conditioner on my ends. My hair is damaged from leaving highlights on too long over a year ago. I don't want to cut it all off. This makes it shiny and healthy looking.

I am a HUGE fan of supermud! But I totally can't afford it so I just make the rounds to different sephora stores and get free samples of it!

I don't know if this is a high end question or a random question - so any brand will do if it works.

Does anyone have recommendations for red color depositing shampoo/conditioner? my hair is naturally auburn-ish-brown and it is dyed a burgundy color. I've been dying it this color on and off for the last year and even though red is the hardest dyed color to keep looking good, it's my favorite. I try not to wash it often (it's really depressing when the water washes out red every time) and I *try* not to use really hot water (but it's winter, too cold) but it still fades SOOO fast. I recently started adding manic panic vampire red to my conditioner which is working perfectly, but my tub looks like a murder scene after every shower so that's not working, either. Sally's carries a red depositing shampoo/conditioner but I hated it... so any other recommendations?

I don't know if this is a high end question or a random question - so any brand will do if it works.

Does anyone have recommendations for red color depositing shampoo/conditioner? my hair is naturally auburn-ish-brown and it is dyed a burgundy color. I've been dying it this color on and off for the last year and even though red is the hardest dyed color to keep looking good, it's my favorite. I try not to wash it often (it's really depressing when the water washes out red every time) and I *try* not to use really hot water (but it's winter, too cold) but it still fades SOOO fast. I recently started adding manic panic vampire red to my conditioner which is working perfectly, but my tub looks like a murder scene after every shower so that's not working, either. Sally's carries a red depositing shampoo/conditioner but I hated it... so any other recommendations?
I used to use John Frieda Raidiant Redhead products! Do they do that range in the US? It helped keep my colour for yonks as well, but I'm not sure whether afro hair retains colour well or not.

I used to use John Frieda Raidiant Redhead products! Do they do that range in the US? It helped keep my colour for yonks as well, but I'm not sure whether afro hair retains colour well or not.
Yes! Radiant Red is the best things or red hair but it's not color depositing. It really helps to keep the color in though. Also you may want to look into a red glaze I know John Freida makes them as well. @njallday

Last edited:

i had red hair for a short while as well, i was in love with the color and it was depressing when it faded completely out after two months. it was expensive as anything trying to maintain it though, i bought the higher end color depositing shampoos (i used pureology and riveting reds), and it still faded. i never thought of adding manic panic hair dye though, im not fond of using cheap coloring products on my hair anymore, because of a bad hair bleaching experience. ive also heard that red glazes are really good for dyed red hair, but i was never able to find one in stores back when i was red.

not washing my hair was not going to happen, as a lot of people told me that was the best way to maintain the color was to wash it less. i feel completely gross just skipping one day of showering, much less more then one.

i had red hair for a short while as well, i was in love with the color and it was depressing when it faded completely out after two months. it was expensive as anything trying to maintain it though, i bought the higher end color depositing shampoos (i used pureology and riveting reds), and it still faded. i never thought of adding manic panic hair dye though, im not fond of using cheap coloring products on my hair anymore, because of a bad hair bleaching experience. ive also heard that red glazes are really good for dyed red hair, but i was never able to find one in stores back when i was red.

not washing my hair was not going to happen, as a lot of people told me that was the best way to maintain the color was to wash it less. i feel completely gross just skipping one day of showering, much less more then one.
Yeah... I don't have problems with my red fading because I only wash it every 3 or 4 days. It totally depends on your hair type. Mine just doesn't get oily.

Note-- when I say this, I don't mean that I don't shower. I shower every day, I just have a handy dandy shower cap. :)

Yeah... I don't have problems with my red fading because I only wash it every 3 or 4 days. It totally depends on your hair type. Mine just doesn't get oily.

Note-- when I say this, I don't mean that I don't shower. I shower every day, I just have a handy dandy shower cap. :)

dry shampoo is my best friend and I usually shower with it in a bun on the off days.

the manic panic does nothing damaging to your hair. you could leave it in for days if you wanted to; it's made out of vegetables and actually conditions. so like once a week I use the conditioner I mixed it into and leave it in for an extra 10 minutes. it just turns EVERYTHING red along with my hair. like the grout between the shower tiles :oops: otherwise it's the perfect solution to just brighten up the red between dyes.

I do it myself and the color is perfect so its not really an expense issue... I just don't want to damage my hair by actually dyeing it that frequently.

@retiredl5cheer when you do wash it, do you use any special shampoo/conditioner? like sulfate free or red or anything?

I am a HUGE fan of supermud! But I totally can't afford it so I just make the rounds to different sephora stores and get free samples of it!
I did that for awhile and then I asked for it when me and my grandma were shopping and she was like "anything for my granddaughter I see once a year" and I ended up with both. I did see all four masks at tjmaxx the other day for $40!!

Found the perfect dark purple lipstick/gloss!!! It's an NYX Intense Lip Butter in the shade Black Cherry. They're only $6 and its SOOO pretty. Like I'm totally obsessed. There's a few really pretty berrys in that collection, too. I've been sooo into NYX lip glosses and foundations lately because they're soooo cheap and pretty good quality. So yay!!

Back