High School High School Captains

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
How does your school handle captains?

I have 5/20 Seniors this year and a lot of underclassmen who have geat captain qualities.
My 5 seniors all have different personalities ranging from very intense , opinionated to very quiet and relaxed.

Im looking for ways to either have all seniors be captains or 2 captains 3 co captains ?

Looking for input from other schools on how they do captains and what they do to solve the different range of personalities?
What do you look for in a captain?

Thanks!

We had a vote - only seniors could be captains. I think what you could do if you didn't want to limit yourself to just seniors is ask who would all like to be in the consideration as captains, do a little interview with them and still have the team vote to weigh in their opinion but you ultimately get to make the final choice.

For us, after the interview part of our tryout, our coach would ask us to nominate someone to be captain. The captain doesn't have to be a senior (there's only one returning senior on our squad anyways), in fact, our co-captain is actually only a sophomore this year. And the final say is up to the coach.

We also have 5 seniors. We never do captains. It causes way too much drama. We do put the seniors in charge of teaching chants etc but we never single out 1 or 2 seniors as captains.

One thing you could do that my squad does is put a different person in charge each game. They are responsible for calling chants that game as well as creating new stunts to do between quarters. This gives everyone a chance to led even the passive people.

We have 6 seniors and 5 are captains because to be a captain you must be a senior and have had to have been on varsity for 3 years previously.
They all share the responsibilities like leading stretches, calling chants at games, and they all have a set of girls that they send out the messages to. They make decisions as a group with our sponsors

For me I pick one senior captain (the one that shows up to all practices, has the most positive attitude, etc) and then out of the underclass cheerleaders I pick one co-captain to kind of shadow/help the captain that way they learn from the best and hopefully the captain passes on all their great qualities :)

I do not have captains anymore, but when I did, that person was chosen by team vote, but in order to be nominated, interviewed by me.

We asked who was interested, held interviews and those that we liked we would put in charge of certain things for the first month (such as teaching a cheer or stunt that they were familiar with). After the month we had the team write down 2 people that they wanted to be captain and one that was a "oh heck no run for the hills" vote (this was anonymous). Every yes vote was a point and every heck no vote subtracted a point, highest points became captain (we had 1 captain for every 10 girls). I had ultimate veto power as the coach but I didn't use it (probably should have- hindsight really is 20/20).

Only seniors were allowed to be voted for captains and a new vote was done for football, basketball, and competition season captains. The coach also tried to have them balance each other like one captain that was intense and one that always had people laughing, or one that was really good at jumps and motions and one that was really good at stunts and dancing.

We have about 13 seniors out of 25 this year. My coach made captain only available to them and required that anyone interested was to email her why they think they would be a good captain. She then announced the girls she felt were qualified and the team voted.

I also attended another school where captains were handled a little differently but still seniors only. The girls interested had to write an essay and the coach reviewed them. She then announced the people she felt qualified and the team would vote for one girl. Then, the coaches would decide upon another.

No captains. Too much drama. I assign tasks as needed. We have game captains. I chose 2 every game. They don't have to be a senior/veteran, everyone doesn't get a turn. They have to earn it each week. We also get new chant lines for games every week, based on how well you're doing at practice. In the back row? You know your not doing something right! Since I've started doing this, it is a world of difference! I highly recommend it, but it also isn't for everyone. If there is an instance that we do need a "captain" like at camp, I just sent all seniors. We were that team at camp that had 12 girls in captain class when every other squad had 2 or 3.

No captains. Too much drama. I assign tasks as needed. We have game captains. I chose 2 every game. They don't have to be a senior/veteran, everyone doesn't get a turn. They have to earn it each week. We also get new chant lines for games every week, based on how well you're doing at practice. In the back row? You know your not doing something right! Since I've started doing this, it is a world of difference! I highly recommend it, but it also isn't for everyone. If there is an instance that we do need a "captain" like at camp, I just sent all seniors. We were that team at camp that had 12 girls in captain class when every other squad had 2 or 3.
I actually like this, I think I might go this route and then make sure all seniors get captain patches :)

I think the problem with captains on a lot of teams is that people become more obsessed with holding the title of 'Captain' than with actually possessing or developing the qualities necessary to be a good captain. Then girls start to fight over it (in ways very characteristic of teenage females), and it all just goes to crap.

I actually like this, I think I might go this route and then make sure all seniors get captain patches :)
Personally, I would avoid this. It might breed entitlement among the seniors, and they might develop a sense of superiority toward underclassmen.

I think the problem with captains on a lot of teams is that people become more obsessed with holding the title of 'Captain' than with actually possessing or developing the qualities necessary to be a good captain. Then girls start to fight over it (in ways very characteristic of teenage females), and it all just goes to crap.

Personally, I would avoid this. It might breed entitlement among the seniors, and they might develop a sense of superiority toward underclassmen.
This happens anyways lol, I think it's natural. However last year my seniors were surprised to see all my freshmen 6/6 make mat and only 2/7 seniors did.

Latest posts

Back