High School High School Cheer Costs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 18, 2016
I could've sworn this already existed but couldn't find it anywhere, apologies in advance if it does and I'm just dense (long week). I'm curious about how much cheer costs at different schools in different areas, as well as what that cost gets the kids. So for example:

I'm a high school coach in Arizona, and my school is Title I. My brand spanking new cheerleaders to Varsity pay a bit over $1400 for the entire year. Returners have costs significantly reduced because I keep most things the same for at least a few years (such as warmups, backpacks, poms, etc.). That $1400 total includes:
  • 3-Day UCA Cheer Camp ($250ish)
  • Practice Clothes/Bows/Poms/Backpack ($150)
  • Competition Fees ($100)
  • Competition Materials ($45, covers transportation to competitions as well as signs, megaphones, etc.)
  • Warmups ($100)
  • Choreography & Music ($125)
  • Nationals ($600ish to literally everything except food)
  • Game Day Uniform Shell ($80)
Cheer camp was optional this year, so a family could easily opt out of that and save that money. Cheer shoes have to be white and can be bought at the cheerleader's discretion, so if they want new ones it's completely their call. Those who aren't competing only have to pay a max of $350 (to get all items humanly possible), but can pay as little as $105 for the entire season.

What do cheer costs look like at other schools? I've always been curious to see how mine stacks up compared to others. Since my school is low income, I've ensured I'm the cheapest within the area, but would love to know what costs look like at other schools. Share as little or as much as you're comfortable with.

This year my first year athletes are paying:

$20 for practice clothes (3 t-shirts all the exact same color/design)
$150 2-day UCA commuter camp
$150 fee to cover our choreographer
$35 camp clothes/bows (cost was actually $70, I covered half with a fundraiser)
$220 warm up, back pack, rain jacket/poncho thing, gloves, ear warmers, plain body liner, bloomers
$150 estimated cost to travel to Orlando
$600 estimated cost for Disney travel package (I always try to overestimate inflation)

Returning members save the $220 on the warm up package. We almost always manage to offset the costs of nationals with some fundraising, but rarely by more than $150-200.

We had a new uniform year and our warm ups were discontinued so we had to purchase both, making this an expensive year for us. This is our breakdown:

Uniform: $350
Camp: $330 (optional)
Warm Up: $100
Game Day Bow: $25
Poms: $20

We did get three practice outfits that totaled a bit over $100 (a sub set, a sparkle tank and shorts, t-shirt and shorts, and bow) but the girls fundraised enough to cover for everyone. They also got some of the game day bow and poms paid for through fundraising. They can pick any cheer shoes that are white.

If they choose to do comp, our comp fees for three regionals, state and nationals are just under $300. I think music and choreography are about $70/girl, and travel. We will offset some of those costs with fundraising as well, and are almost close enough with our current fundraiser to cover the choreography, music and first competition.

I work VERY hard to make things affordable. Beyond our uniforms which are custom and include two different tops, I usually utilize promotions and discounts and shop around to get things as cheap as possible but maintain the look I want. I think this year we have done an awesome job finding the affordable middle ground that looks amazing. Uniforms and warm ups will also be used for at least two years to save on costs.

I've paid, so far, $1627 directly to Varsity for apparel, and $400 (to Varsity through ASB) for a three day camp at a college campus, for the upcoming school year.

It varies tremendously in my state. For some schools it costs nearly $2k (many schools fundraise to offset costs). I had two kids in different districts. School A cost $50 plus minimal fundraising specifically for jackets for cold weather games. The school funded the uniform and poms (had to be returned each year), game day transportation for away games and competitions, all competition fees (local through state), music and minimal choreography. No camp, no nationals, etc. and the team cheered football season only. School B is $250 athletic fee (same for all sports) which only includes uniform and poms to be returned each year and transportation to away games. Team is sideline only - does not compete and is football season only.

We pay $300 for two seasons to the booster club and technically you do not have to even do that. Uniforms are provided by the school and given back after the season is over. Poms are provided with the exception of the pink ones used in October and those are $15.
Warmups - $75 jacket, $25 pants (do not change year to year so if athlete remains same size, one purchase will be good for all of HS)
Team t-shirt $15
Homecoming t-shirt $25
Bows - $25 for two
These are the only mandatory purchases. All other clothing purchases are optional.
The other two fees are choreography and UCA camp (which is not mandatory). The district provides the buses to the comps. For football season they only cheer at home games.
Nationals are separate and depends where they wind up going if at all.

I totally understand why all star gyms utilize Varsity (hello rebate-I get it) but I will never understand why a high school does. The costs are insane and I have yet to find anything that is so above and beyond that it makes the price worth it... We had football jerseys that were $90 from Varsity, and $24 from the local screen printer. I swear on my life they were the exact same thing.

I totally understand why all star gyms utilize Varsity (hello rebate-I get it) but I will never understand why a high school does. The costs are insane and I have yet to find anything that is so above and beyond that it makes the price worth it... We had football jerseys that were $90 from Varsity, and $24 from the local screen printer. I swear on my life they were the exact same thing.

Varsity actually has really sweet discounts for Title I schools (10% off and free shipping for all orders, and my Varsity rep will often not charge me for the coach's items that I get). We only get our backpacks, uniforms, and warmups through them though, all other clothes we get through local, cheaper vendors. I do agree that their pom and clothing prices are quite outrageous, though, and you can get equally good/better clothes through local vendors. Just have to pick and choose your battles - Varsity can be affordable under the right circumstances.

It's tough to put a number on HS cheer, so many variables.

Do teams compete? What does the school supply/pay for (uniforms, poms, warm-ups)? Are there booster groups? Is your school paying some/all local comp fees/busses? Since the types of High School cheer vary so much too tough too say what is or isn't too expensive.

HOWEVER, in our area, even with Nationals, Camp, Athletes buying own warm-ups, paying for comps - we are told HS cheer is so much cheaper then all star.

Our school system signed some sort of contract with them. We MUST use varsity for cheer and dance purchases, unless they don't offer the item.

Athletic Fee: $450 (varies depending on sport)
Camp: $150
Apparel (Team T-Shirt, Team Tank, Leggings, Pros, Jacket, Sweatshirt, Headband, Poms, Briefs, bag, 3 Bows): $250
Tumbling: $80
Total = approx. $930 for new athletes.

If you are returning you only have to pay the athletic fee, camp, tumbling & for any apparel they need replaced.

School covers: Uniforms (returned at end of season), music (JV & V), choreography (JV & V), transportation to away games (varsity only) and local competitions (JV & V), and local competition fees (JV & V)

This is one season (fall) only - do not have winter cheer. In MA.

Our school system signed some sort of contract with them. We MUST use varsity for cheer and dance purchases, unless they don't offer the item.
That's been their big push since the buyout/merger: get districts to sign on to use Varsity Brands in all facets (Herff Jones, BSN Sports, Varsity Spirit) -- Pretty smart business plan, can't deny that.

That's been their big push since the buyout/merger: get districts to sign on to use Varsity Brands in all facets (Herff Jones, BSN Sports, Varsity Spirit) -- Pretty smart business plan, can't deny that.
Yes, it's great for Varsity, not so much for everyone else. It's very limiting, for coaches and kids. Girls that would cheer and are talented don't try out because costs are out of control. Their families just cannot shell out $1500 plus for cheer. We could get the same or very similar uniforms, shoes, poms, warmups much cheaper elsewhere. Varsity doesn't care because they have us over a barrel. It is freezing kids out of the sport.

Yes, it's great for Varsity, not so much for everyone else. It's very limiting, for coaches and kids. Girls that would cheer and are talented don't try out because costs are out of control. Their families just cannot shell out $1500 plus for cheer. We could get the same or very similar uniforms, shoes, poms, warmups much cheaper elsewhere. Varsity doesn't care because they have us over a barrel. It is freezing kids out of the sport.
Very much so. Painful to see in some aspects.

We're paying around $1400 just for Comp Cheer at the HS. Which I think is ridiculous. The choreography and comp fees I get. The apparel fee is way too high IMO. This is just JV and we only do 4 comps. Why do we need a hoodie and bag and warm-ups, etc? Then apparently we're paying a camp fee but we never went to any camp that I am aware of - unless you count the 2xweek practices over the summer and the 2-day choreography? Then some Activity fee - no idea what that is for. She hasn't done any activities with her squad that I am aware of.

I emailed the coach because I just don't get it. And as far as a I know Varsity pays the same amt but they are going to more comps and a big one at the end??
Really glad CP is not doing All-Star this season...I just can't afford both..

Back