All-Star How Competetive Are College Cheer Try Outs Getting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Exactly this. Teams only need so many, for lack of better words, smaller girls to fly top top level. You also need girls who can mid-layer.

I do see how they need specific girls (backspots, bases, flyers, etc.) for stunts, pyramids, building purposes, etc.

If you are trying out for UK or U of L you need to be the complete package. But you are also making your collegiate choice mostly based on cheer and not your education so you are probably going to be more aware of everything you need.

I have an academically highly competitive university and cheer is always the second aspect of a choice. I may have to 'give' a little on some higher level personality and motions for really good acro and gymnastic skills but as long as the overall package is stronger I can work with the motions. So unless the person walking in has a terrible personality to work with (which I wouldn't take anyway because a bad personality effects all parts of a team) I would never choose someone with motions over skills. Working at Rays has taught me you can get everyone to improve at motions and get them to a decent point.

You're at GT, right? I bet you never have to do the "I'm leaving school because my grades are really bad" thing!

Last edited:
In reference to the post about a girl with level 4 skills making it over girls with level 5 skills, Is it wrong to assume that worlds level 5 cheerleaders coming from top gyms like Cheer Athletics, Top Gun, CEA, etc. have strong motions or the potential to easily get strong motions?

Many do. A lot of those kids also have school cheer experience that helps with that as well.

There are also programs whose focus ins't motion tech at later levels, so kids may not have the practice with it as the focus of many programs is exclusively stunts and tumbling once you get to be L5. Not everyone is an amazingly clean program like Rays/SOT when it comes to the little things.

Then there's always the incorporation of motions into a game day situation. You can have them great, but just be awkward actually CHEERING and using motions that way because you haven't done it a lot. It's not hard to teach, but it can be an awkward transition.

In theory, if you've been cheering for 12 years, your motions should be amazing, but that's not always the case.

since it seems most of you are talking about one particular situation... i don't care who the athlete is, but may i ask what school you're talking about?

^^^^I actually do not know who they are referring to. I don't know very many "cheerlebs" as I'm 30 and only follow kids I've coached on instagram.

I don't know the specific school either but I'm pretty sure of a handful of schools they COULD be talking about, as a couple of really competitive programs are wrapping up tryouts this weekend.

Since she is a minor I left her name off. I only have positive things to say about her. The College is Texas Tech, but was also asking in general, overall. My 2 CP's say all the time they are going to cheer in College. I adore my girls and hope all their dreams come true. I won't say anything to deflate their dreams, but seeing amazing athletes not making teams makes me wonder how realistic cheering in College will be.

Since she is a minor I left her name off. I only have positive things to say about her. The College is Texas Tech, but was also asking in general, overall. My 2 CP's say all the time they are going to cheer in College. I adore my girls and hope all their dreams come true. I won't say anything to deflate their dreams, but seeing amazing athletes not making teams makes me wonder how realistic cheering in College will be.
Now I know who you're talking about. I was surprised at that too because I remember seeing in a 2by2 video her cheering for her high school so she has done game day stuff before.

since it seems most of you are talking about one particular situation... i don't care who the athlete is, but may i ask what school you're talking about?

Yeah I was skimming the thread waiting for mention of the school as well. I'm curious about the school. Prob wouldn't know (as in heard of) the person that tried out

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I was planning on trying out University of Georgia's cheer team this year (for reasons uncheer related to wait until next year to attend the school) and I was concerned because despite having level 5 stunting my tumbling is only level 4. The coach told me that he would absolutely rather have a girl with a strong layout and good gameday presence/ experience than a girl with perfect tumbling but has never been in front of a football crowd before. I think the gameday experience is so important especially with schools that have strong football or basketball programs.

The college that I'm going to this year is significantly less talented skill wise than Georgia but is still competitive at NCA and even they have the same issue. Girls assume that because they have a needle and were point flyer on an allstar team means they're guaranteed the spot. And seniority means almost nothing. Myself and a few other freshman took the spots of several 3/4 year returners. College cheer is a whooooole new world.

You're at GT, right? I bet you never have to do the "I'm leaving school because my grades are really bad" thing!

We do, actually. Our school is incredibly hard to a level I cannot describe. So keeping everyone full time and not failing out is hard. Our honor roll is just keeping a 3.0 and only 10% of the school has that.

And the level of raw brain power on my team is scary. I have quite a few that will be doctors, a few that intern at the FBI, one at NASA, and tons around Atlanta at Blue Chip companies (Delta, Coke, Home Depot, Chik Fil A). One guy had a 250k job lined up at Delta for him the day he graduated because he interned while at Tech. It is nerd heaven. @Ashley and @BlueCat would love it.

We do, actually. Our school is incredibly hard to a level I cannot describe. So keeping everyone full time and not failing out is hard. Our honor roll is just keeping a 3.0 and only 10% of the school has that.

And the level of raw brain power on my team is scary. I have quite a few that will be doctors, a few that intern at the FBI, one at NASA, and tons around Atlanta at Blue Chip companies (Delta, Coke, Home Depot, Chik Fil A). One guy had a 250k job lined up at Delta for him the day he graduated because he interned while at Tech. It is nerd heaven. @Ashley and @BlueCat would love it.

yeah take one zero off of that figure and that's what i was offered my first job out of school... LOL

yeah take one zero off of that figure and that's what i was offered my first job out of school... LOL

My first (which is still my current) job was no where near that high.

But my sales pitch to come to Tech is we will be the most competitive smart school. If we continue on this path we can play in the top tier in a couple years too. We already have two teams coming to Daytona this year (if fund raising works out).

being trained at california all stars helps?

2e54ilw.jpg

There is a huge difference in college cheer with respect to schools that are focused on competition cheer and those where the main focus is game day, and competition is an after-thought, if they even have a competitive squad. Universities where the main focus is game day are not looking for the elite skills since most of them won't be doing ball-up 360s on the football fiield or basketball court. Those schools look for more than just high level skills; they are looking for more of a spokesperson type cheerleader that can look great leading a crowd as well as conduct themselves professionally when asked to attend special events.

Back