All-Star How Competetive Are College Cheer Try Outs Getting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

^Yeah. There are schools who have like the "who's who" of every team in coed and large senior. That's a ton of talent. It's just rough when EVERYONE is as awesome as you are.

The girl I was referring to is truly a strong all around cheerleader with excellent technique. She definitely is not a one trick pony. As mentioned above their school must attract talent like crazy.
If we are talking about the same girl then I think she tried out for a different college team just the other day. Since we aren't naming names I could be waay off if I am disregard this haha.

The girl I was referring to is truly a strong all around cheerleader with excellent technique. She definitely is not a one trick pony. As mentioned above their school must attract talent like crazy.
I heard about this individual since a couple of my oldest CP's all-star and school cheer friends also tried out at that university (they didn't make it either). I don't even know the name of the individual so I don't know anything specific and I am talking in generalities. Even though a candidate may have a Worlds medal (or 2 or 3) and may have been a high school cheerleader for all 4 years does not always translate into an all-around college candidate. There are cheerleaders that have all 4 years of school cheer and several years of all-star experience but still are not sharp in their motions and do not have that game day "performance" or the "look" that the college is looking for. There is a cheerleader from our gym that had level 4 skills that beat out candidates that had elite level 5 skills because she had that something "extra" that out-shined the others.

^^^^I think there are people who would agree with that, but when everyone has ball ups and perfect motions, you can be significantly pickier, no?

My biggest advice is to start EARLY with college prep. Like, not wait til junior year to start thinking about what programs you want to try out for, and what skills you'll need.

Ex: If you wait til junior year to decide you want to go to UK, you're already behind. Take advantage of any clinics/camps offered. If not, you're playing catch up, because there are kids who have been attending UK clinic since early HS.

Last edited:
^^^^Pretty sure that UK is still going on.

Last day is today. Didn't start til 2 I think. I have a private lesson kiddo participating so I'm waiting for the call to see if she made it.

UL concluded yesterday I believe.

Last edited:
^^^^I think there are people who would agree with that, but when everyone has ball ups and perfect motions, you can be significantly pickier, no?

My biggest advice is to start EARLY with college prep. Like, not wait til junior year to start thinking about what programs you want to try out for, and what skills you'll need.

Ex: If you wait til junior year to decide you want to go to UK, you're already behind. Take advantage of any clinics/camps offered. If not, you're playing catch up, because there are kids who have been attending UK clinic since early HS.

If you are trying out for UK or U of L you need to be the complete package. But you are also making your collegiate choice mostly based on cheer and not your education so you are probably going to be more aware of everything you need.

I have an academically highly competitive university and cheer is always the second aspect of a choice. I may have to 'give' a little on some higher level personality and motions for really good acro and gymnastic skills but as long as the overall package is stronger I can work with the motions. So unless the person walking in has a terrible personality to work with (which I wouldn't take anyway because a bad personality effects all parts of a team) I would never choose someone with motions over skills. Working at Rays has taught me you can get everyone to improve at motions and get them to a decent point.

In reference to the post about a girl with level 4 skills making it over girls with level 5 skills, Is it wrong to assume that worlds level 5 cheerleaders coming from top gyms like Cheer Ahletics, Top Gun, CEA, etc. have strong motions or the potential to easily get strong motions?

It could also come down to numbers. Teams only need so many tops (for example, 6 on my team). If they were good, but 6 others were better in the same position, it doesn't matter if they won Worlds.

Exactly this. Teams only need so many, for lack of better words, smaller girls to fly top top level. You also need girls who can mid-layer.

Back