How Much Practice?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mo' Bettah

Cheer Parent
Feb 18, 2014
My daughter cheered for Pop Warner last year and went to Nationals. Now she wants to cheer for Cali Allstars in Livermore. What should she work on before tryouts and how often should she be in the gym?
She has her Round off BHS but it's not pretty.

I don't know much about the gyms you mentioned, but if they are really good allstar gyms then you should be spending a lot of time working before tryouts. I would enroll your daughter in a gymnastics class to improve her tumbling skills. Having a round off back handspring is a good start for now. Good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

You need to contact Cali and ask them. Each gym will have specific requirements and expectations.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

I would say the more work she puts in the better. Not sure what the specifics are for their gym, but the more conditioning and tumbling lessons she can do now will help her when she makes the transition to all star. That being said I would try to keep the work load appropriate for her age, don't want to go overboard.

I don't know much about Cali, but from what I've seen they've always had beautiful technique. Have her do lots of conditioning to keep in shape, stretch every day and clean up the tumbling. Beautiful handsprings are always an eye-puller along with any other new skills she's sure to get in the coming months. And of course, contact the gym / check there website for any other info. I'm sure she's going to do awesome!

Gyms will almost always have a list of skill requirements for each level/age group! Example: Junior 3 would most likely require standing two bhs and running bhs tuck! Look in to it :) Good luck with the AS transition :) Greatest decision you could make :)

Gyms will almost always have a list of skill requirements for each level/age group! Example: Junior 3 would most likely require standing two bhs and running bhs tuck! Look in to it :) Good luck with the AS transition :) Greatest decision you could make :)

I agree with MEEsports in the different requirements set by allstar teams-- another thing you should try is maybe signing up at Cali Allstars for tumbling classes, any open gyms and/or privates-- this will help your daughter get her foot in the door and by the way, many of the different teams' coaches teach those classes and then your daughter can establish a relationship with them...Hey, I know, that is what happened with my daughter and the gym she is now cheering... my cp showed up at a open gym and was introduced to her coach and the rest as we say it, is history!;)

Back