High School How To Roll Your Hips For Toe Touches?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2011
I know this is probably a stupid question but for some reason my hips just refuuuse to roll. I've tried so hard all I think about is rolling them but they just won't do it. My toe touches will never get any higher because I can't roll my hips! I do exercises everyday to try and help rolling my hips and they won't work! Help! :(

I feel like its hard to think of it as "rolling your hips", so what you should focus on when jumping is getting those knees and shoelaces to face the back wall or whatever is behind you. Really focus on that when you are practicing your jumps, use your abs and make sure you are not dropping your chest to "touch your toes". Also, keep stretching a lot! Sit against the wall in a straddle with your knees to the back forcing your hips to rotate, and get as close to the wall as possible. Hold it there for a while, and make sure your knees stay back the whole time. Every time you stretch in a straddle, concentrate on keeping those hips rolled - just think knees and shoelaces back. And remember, practice makes perfect!! Hopefully this helps :p

1. V-ups, but instead of a V, hit a toe touch instead
2. sit on floor in straddle, put your hands in the middle as close to your body as you can get. Do pulsing leg lifts (only lift an inch off the ground to start, then pulse about an inch)....do each leg on its own, then do both legs together. Between one stretch the straddle.
3. stretch, stretch, stretch!

When you're first learning how to make your hips "roll," it can be hard to visualize what that exactly means. You likely lift your legs straight out to the sides (so your knees face forward) using mainly the muscles on the sides of your thighs and your hip abductors, because that's how people with advanced jumps look, right? It looks like they're lifting their legs out to the sides. They're not, really, but that's what it looks like, so that's what you do.

Okay, this is going to sound weird, but stick with me for a sec: to train yourself to roll your hips into the correct position, with your knees up, lift your legs to the front when you jump. Seriously. If you have to start with a pike with your legs slightly separated to get the idea, then do that. Yes, your jumps will look funk-diddly-unctious to start with... but keep trying. Lift your legs to the front in the jump, using your abs and rear and the muscles at the front of your thigh. Once you get the idea of lifting your legs to the front, begin working on separating your legs in the air. If, at some point, you go back to throwing your legs out to the sides with your knees facing forward, go back to the ridiculous-looking legs-to-the-front jump. It is all about muscle memory - if you have the flexibility already, you just have to train your muscles what to do *before* you're able to use that flexibility. Hopefully this makes sense :)

can you hyper extend your jumps on a trampoline?
Work at getting them higher on a trampoline, and then move off there onto a tumble track, then rod floor and then normal floor (thats if you are lucky enough that your gym has all of these?)
Also, try working your jumps on non-spring mat as then when you go back to comp mat then they will seem so much easier, which gives your brain/body more time to think about correct technique
Hope this helps!

I stand in front of my girls with my hands out where I want their feet to be and tell them to try to have their feet touch my hand. They hate it because they feel like they are going to hit/kick me, but it works and their jumps look much better after.

Thanks everyone! I think the tip, showing the crowd my behind, actually helped a ton! Now I just need to get them higher and I might start liking my jumps! haha!:)

I know this is probably a stupid question but for some reason my hips just refuuuse to roll. I've tried so hard all I think about is rolling them but they just won't do it. My toe touches will never get any higher because I can't roll my hips! I do exercises everyday to try and help rolling my hips and they won't work! Help! :(

Just went to a coaches conference this past weekend and one of the presenters gave us a great tip. Lie on your back with your arms in a T and then bring your legs up (like for a V-up/Straddle up) but keep pulling them til your toes hit the ground behind you. Your knees should be right by your elbows. Sometimes girls are too flexible in straddle so even if they roll their hips their legs stay straight out to the sides. If you bring them in a little (knees as wide as elbows) and rotate your hips it looks much better. I don't know if I explained that well, but if you have any more questions about it let me know.

im center flyer and i cant roll my hips out for my life -_____- i glad i found this thread i need work

try to go on a trampoline and do tuck jump, star jump. if you do it correctly eventually your toe touches will rotate under.
last year my TT's weren't more than a 45 degree angle and now they're almost yper flexed

Think about getting your bellybutton to your spine and squeezing your butt when you jump. It will help your hips roll.

what my coach told us, is to think of pelvic thrusting in the air. she didn't mean it in an inappropriate way. it just helps to visualize. that's helped me a ton! i used to only get up to maybe 45 now i'm a little over parallel.

Back