All-Star How Would You Change All Star Scoring?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've always liked the idea of a judge recording all the things that he sees while watching the routine (bobbles, touchdowns, synchronization etc.) and having that available to the team. I saw this when I was at a color guard competition and also I think they do this at dance competitions.

I think that its good so if there is anything they need to double check on they could listen to the tape and such...

but it probably a little impractical for large competitions such as cheersport, NCA and Worlds where you have hundreds of teams.

Andre, you should read this thread
Cheer - Let's Discuss Worlds Scoring | Page 8 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

The data analysis shows clear issues with scoring bias and order. Apparently vague isn't working.

I read it. Do you have a solution that will lead to a better result?

I think raw scores should have been used and I think comparing the difference to Varsity is a mistake because they basically give a L5 team over 50 points to begin with where the Worlds scoresheet is designed to separate L5 teams.

I read it. Do you have a solution that will lead to a better result?

I think raw scores should have been used and I think comparing the difference to Varsity is a mistake because they basically give a L5 team over 50 points to begin with where the Worlds scoresheet is designed to separate L5 teams.

I think a rubric that shows where you're going to score in difficulty is a great start, it would hopefully eliminate some of the higher mark bias in teams performing later.

As a non-American I've never had a team compete on the Varsity score sheet, but I sure can tell you I've seen other score sheets that have opposite issues where teams have routines built to a set list of skills that are listed on a score sheet. So a careful balance must be maintained, and listing 'required' skills seems to be a hindrance to creativity IMHO.

I do agree that a Worlds score sheet should be designed to separate L5 and L6 teams.

I really lol the idea of having separate judges for technique/ execution and difficulty.
It eliminates the "saving room for better teams" thing. By that logic the judges literally be picking the winners of each division rather than giving the appropriate scores to each team. I've personally never understood why anyone would do that... They may as well be saying "I want food stamp allstarz to win.." And leave it at that.
Just because team a scored a 9.7 on execution in stunts doesn't mean that one can't give teams d,k, and x that same score... Especially once difficulty is factored in those those who belong at the top will be there. Rather than team x is generally better than team g so I'm gonna score team g a little lower because I'm expecting big things from team x. I feel like people are afraid of ties in some cases. And afraid of team x not placing as close to the too as they would expect/ like.

When I judge, from a technical standpoint, you're being judged based on how that skills looked versus how it's SUPPOSED to look if it had been executed perfectly. When I'm watching you team I have a side by side comparison of a team using perfect technique going and I take off points accordingly. Even when I seemed to be taking away or awarding more to an individual, when compared to another judges score, we had them in the same range for the group.

I also like the video judging. If I had a dime for every time I've gone back to a video to help me argue a deduction...

Also scores or at least a deduction sheet should be readily available to coaches. Why do I have to wait 2 hours for my sheets. That makes no sense. Two hours after my kids perform the awards is already passed and there's no point in arguing it at that point.
And I like the idea of making all scores public. It allows you to REALLY see where you stack up against your competition in each category rather than having the assumption based on the final score and placement.

I'm not sure how I feel about a skills declaration.
In theory it should be fine. There would be open communication between athlete and coach and the kids are fully aware of what's expected of them and the consequences. The athlete make the coaches aware of their concerns: I'm not comfortable doing this here yet, etc. and the coach takes into account actual readiness of the athlete performing a skill. Is it consistent (in terms of the athletes confidence in the skill not whether it will hit or not) because we all know that until it's a matter of second nature anything could happen that could chAnge the outcome of what happens.
And the additional stress is something that as an athlete when you aren't confident in a skills is either going to make you bail, no throw, whatever.
If there are completely open lines of communication and coaches aren't being too pushy with skills ex. Susie can do it but isn't ready/ comfortable enough with it to compete it. There should be a problem.
Idk that just makes me uneasy.

When it comes to classifying the difficulty level/ point value for skills especially in building I think hat rather than trying to compare to different things like where someone mentioned earlier full-up vs. tic tock.
We need to rank the skills in order of difficulty by type. Ie release moves high to low, twisting mounts/ transitions high to low, dismounts high to low and from there include whether body position has an effect on the score. For example to me a scorpion double down scores higher than an arabesque double down. CleArly. Double twisting dismount from an advanced body position.
Any combination of skills would then be ranked accordingly based on the score of each skill on its own.

I think I'm totally in agreement with everything, but number 4.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone

We already use skill sheets in Michigan, and they seem to work really well. We know how much each of our skills are worth, and the judges already know ahead of time what skills we're performing so they can look at technique because they know what skill to expect.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back