I Need Major Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 13, 2013
This is my second year coaching a rec team but things are difficult. I live in a small town and the High School Cheer team here is very good at what they do. I competeted on their team recently until I graduated, which is why I am now coaching. The town is very far from any allstar teams and there is no pop warner. This team is the first of my towns kind. The big issue is it is through the PArks & Recreation. Because it is through the town we are not allowed to put age restrictions or deny anybody. My question is I have no real structure because of this. Could somebody share how they run their program?

Break them apart by age. We have a 6u, 8u, 10u, 12u, and 14u teams. The only time a cheerleader goes up to a higher age range is if her skills allow her to. Last season all were level 1 teams but we had our strongest flyers/tumblers on the 14u team even though they were 8/9 because our 14u needed to be competitive in their division. 6u won 2nd at our annual local competition and the rest won 1st.

Our rec program is through parks & planning/ Boys & Girls Club as well.

This is my second year coaching a rec team but things are difficult. I live in a small town and the High School Cheer team here is very good at what they do. I competeted on their team recently until I graduated, which is why I am now coaching. The town is very far from any allstar teams and there is no pop warner. This team is the first of my towns kind. The big issue is it is through the PArks & Recreation. Because it is through the town we are not allowed to put age restrictions or deny anybody. My question is I have no real structure because of this. Could somebody share how they run their program?

I direct a rec-league program regulated by my county as well. We accept all ages (6-14) & skill levels. We host a 2 week skills camp in advance of practice beginning, marketed as summer camp. It's a low-key, non-competitive way to evaluate their skills and teach fundamentals before creating squads. Camp has fun themes daily, with all elements taught in stations (cheers/motions, jumps, stunting, & dance). We then divide the cheerleaders by age & experience. Typically, younger kids with newbies, and veterans with older athletes. Dividing into smaller groups allows for more personalized instruction during practice and you can tailor practice times & the format age-appropriately.

I direct a rec-league program regulated by my county as well. We accept all ages (6-14) & skill levels. We host a 2 week skills camp in advance of practice beginning, marketed as summer camp. It's a low-key, non-competitive way to evaluate their skills and teach fundamentals before creating squads. Camp has fun themes daily, with all elements taught in stations (cheers/motions, jumps, stunting, & dance). We then divide the cheerleaders by age & experience. Typically, younger kids with newbies, and veterans with older athletes. Dividing into smaller groups allows for more personalized instruction during practice and you can tailor practice times & the format age-appropriately.
That is a very good Idead. Since I developed the program I have had no guidance inhow to run a rec program. Other than how I see my friend who coaches a high school team I have no sense of direction of how or where to go with this.

Back