Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you agree with the results?

• Total voters
My general thoughts:
1. Russia came out of nowhere already competing in the highest divisions
2. I think republic of china did better than Russia
3. Thailand, Japan, Costa Rica, Mexico did so amazing
4. Taiwan man I'm disappointed they got 4th they did good though they had one stunt fall
5. In junior elite division I think US deserved higher
6. Ok I swear I'm not patriotic just that in all girl premier division US was clean and hit. Finland had difficult and was creative, but their fulls were sloppy and had a stunt fall. Norway was sloppy, the few fulls they had was sloppy, I think a few falls too. The only thing I can see they had is maybe difficulty or creativity.
I'm not an expert on the scoring. I'm not sure if they care so much about tumbling or cleanliness and maybe ICU cares more about difficulty in stunting.

Last edited:
My general thoughts:
1. Russia came out of nowhere already competing in the highest divisions
2. I think republic of china did better than Norway and Russia
3. Thailand, Japan, Costa Rica, Mexico did so amazing
4. Taiwan man I'm disappointed they got 4th they did good though they had one stunt fall
5. In junior elite division I think US deserved higher
6. Ok I swear I'm not patriotic just that in all girl premier division US was clean and hit. Finland had difficult and was creative, but their fulls were sloppy and had a stunt fall. Norway was sloppy, the few fulls they had was sloppy, I think a few falls too. The only thing I can see they had is maybe difficulty or creativity.
I'm not an expert on the scoring. I'm not sure if they care so much about tumbling or cleanliness and maybe ICU cares more about difficulty in stunting.
USA all girl had multiple legalities.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but it was a disgrace the way the US handled the selection process and the competition itself. Appointing a team is inappropriate under any circumstances. Allowing college coaches who clearly have no knowledge of the rules of the competition they are competing in is embarrassing.
I feel for the athletes - they didn't ask to be put in this situation. This is on USA Cheer and the UWG coaches.

I am actually confused about how team USA selection normally works.

How I understood it was that a region is selected as the host region for tryouts but that you don’t necessarily have to BE from that place to try out.

For example: This year I think USA junior coed is Illinois-based but not an entire program appointed. As in there are kids on it from ICE teams, high schools, you name it.

That confuses me because a few years ago I am pretty sure team USA Junior all girl was a specific middle school from Kentucky (East Side Middle.)

Then this year Team USA was all West Ga. I feel like in previous years it has been a more open process allowing people from different schools in teams to try out?

So… What is the actual process?

How I understood it was that a region is selected as the host region for tryouts but that you don’t necessarily have to BE from that place to try out.

For example: This year I think USA junior coed is Illinois-based but not an entire program appointed. As in there are kids on it from ICE teams, high schools, you name it.

That confuses me because a few years ago I am pretty sure team USA Junior all girl was a specific middle school from Kentucky (East Side Middle.)

Then this year Team USA was all West Ga. I feel like in previous years it has been a more open process allowing people from different schools in teams to try out?

Yea it was like that but now they picked a university to represent team US all girl for some reason

Probably an unpopular opinion, but it was a disgrace the way the US handled the selection process and the competition itself. Appointing a team is inappropriate under any circumstances. Allowing college coaches who clearly have no knowledge of the rules of the competition they are competing in is embarrassing.
I feel for the athletes - they didn't ask to be put in this situation. This is on USA Cheer and the UWG coaches.
Nah I totally understand your point.

Typically for all girl and coed people try out in stunt groups or partners. That way they can practice the stunt on their own for a while. Then they all get together for like 2 weeks to learn the pyramid and put the rest of the routine together.
But yes, typically they select a general location, but there are people all over.

The junior teams have been specific school teams.

USA all girl had multiple legalities.
Okay, this makes way more sense. But yeah, Russia came out of NOWHERE. I also found it interesting they competed under the “international athletes of the ICU,” and it did take me a while to figure out who they are - I don’t think I did until day two. But I suppose since the ICU has Olympic recognition they’ll follow suit.

(Double post, sorry.) Two things I am disappointed about:
1) the selection of the US AG Premier team. I totally get selecting single teams for the junior division, middle/high schoolers do not have the mobility to come together for two weeks like college aged athletes. I can kind of get the reasoning if it was Covid related, but the coed premier team had a traditional selection with athletes from across the country. So why did AG have a team appointed? And why did the coaches not review the rules?!?!?!
2) The (lack of) transparency with the scores and placement. I was hoping with ICU recognition scores would be posted (maybe even with a breakdown?!) Like I can find detailed results for artistic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and other judge-based-scoring sports from the Olympics but nothing from the ICU. Obviously this is an ongoing issue in the cheer world as a whole, but if they’re not even going to let Russia call themselves Russia, I would like to see how teams were scored in partner stunts, tumbling, baskets, and pyramids.

Back