All-Star If The U Of Alabama Didn't Allow Rings To Be Made...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You can represent us but we do not support you. Basically they're just very talented fans.

Represent their organization at a private event? Can other club teams do that? I thought no one club can use their logo, that was the issue.

You can represent us but we do not support you. Basically they're just very talented fans.

In my experience that is how every school treats the cheerleaders. The school wants them at every football game. Every basketball game. Every pep rally or special event. They want them to look good. Act with class. Never get into any trouble whatsoever. Be the perfect role models and ambassadors for the school. But the school does nothing to support them. Yay.

In my experience that is how every school treats the cheerleaders. The school wants them at every football game. Every basketball game. Every pep rally or special event. They want them to look good. Act with class. Never get into any trouble whatsoever. Be the perfect role models and ambassadors for the school. But the school does nothing to support them. Yay.

Right, but there is a difference between being at a pep rally... and competing in a uniform.

Right, but there is a difference between being at a pep rally... and competing in a uniform.

I don't see that much of a difference. Competing or not competing cheerleaders get treated like dirt, but expected to hold that level of professionalism and have to represent their school well.

I don't see that much of a difference. Competing or not competing cheerleaders get treated like dirt, but expected to hold that level of professionalism and have to represent their school well.

All depends. Do they allow club teams to use the letter? Because as far as the competition part is concerned its a club team, yes?

Does the University pay for the uniforms? If so maybe that is why since they have to right to use the "A". I really have no idea because I don't think I have ever heard of a school other then Alabama that had a problem with their cheerleaders using the school logo on their rings.

Are graduates allowed to get the "A" put on their ring after graduation? If so I don't understand the difference.

Does the University pay for the uniforms? If so maybe that is why since they have to right to use the "A". I really have no idea because I don't think I have ever heard of a school other then Alabama that had a problem with their cheerleaders using the school logo on their rings.

Are graduates allowed to get the "A" put on their ring after graduation? If so I don't understand the difference.

For me a lot of this comes to the idea that Alabama wears their uniform to advertise Alabama on tv for UCA. I mean.. if UCA makes money off the A and advertising I don't know how they support that. This is the rabbit hole of thought I went down today.

For me a lot of this comes to the idea that Alabama wears their uniform to advertise Alabama on tv for UCA. I mean.. if UCA makes money off the A and advertising I don't know how they support that. This is the rabbit hole of thought I went down today.
The release form that all sign prior to attending a competition (or camp):
"Appearance Agreement. I understand that Varsity Spirit d/b/a UCA and/or UDA from time to time produces promotional material relating to its programs. I understand that as a participant in and/or a spectator at the Camp, I may be included in videotapes, photographs, DVD’s, Podcasts and videocasts taken during the camp. Therefore, without reservation or limitations, I hereby assign, transfer and grant to Varsity Spirit d/b/a UCA and/or UDA, its successors, assignees, licensees, sponsors, any television networks, and all other commercial exhibitors the exclusive right to photograph and/or videotape me and to utilize such videotapes and photographs and my name, face, likeness, voice and appearance as part of the Camp, in advertising and promoting the Camp or in advertising and promoting similar future events. I further understand that neither Varsity Spirit nor any third party is under any obligation to exercise any of the foregoing rights, licenses and privileges. I waive any right to inspect or approve the copies of any promotional materials related thereto."

If a student-athlete signs this release (and they are required to do so), they give up their rights to their image. They also are signing away the rights (inadvertently) of the university they represent. Has anyone gone to their respective athletic department or marketing department and asked the question, "Is this allowed?"…I can give the answer now….no. The profit made off of a university is not legal…but who has challenged it? if a cheer team wants to compete, they must sign the rights of the university away…which they really cannot do….but no one challenges it.

The university selects a cheer coach for the first primary reason of coaching the cheerleaders to support another sport on campus…when this team now decides to go to competitions, the expectations of respect now change…not from the university's side, but from the cheerleader's side. They want recognition, they want rings, they want.

If the university selects a cheer coach for the primary purpose of just competition, they can expect different. HOWEVER, because it is not a sport and not under the athletic department or schools umbrella like other sports, they are not bound to treat them as a full fledged sport. Which university has ever said or implied to a 'just competitive team'…., "Please go and represent us…but we will not support you in your efforts". College is a business. They have a job (and legal requirement) to support the RECOGNIZED sports on their campus. If more is expected... cheer teams need to change.

This is not opinion, this is fact. How to fight this? Demand more from VARSITY and its profit circle or organization, not more from the university. If a cheer team wants to be respected as a 'team' on campus, then follow the rules set forth for amateur sport, set forth by the NCAA. Tell Varsity a percentage of profit from their TV exploitation, etc. needs to be given back to the university they were allowed to exploit. If you can bring funds back to the university, maybe the door would open wider. Does anyone think this could happen? Yes….but it would take a united effort.

Name another sport that has more than ONE National Championship per year? Cheer is not taken serious when a cheer coach who is 25 years old can say they have won 20+ championships…other sports think, 'how is this even possible?'

Name another sport that has more than ONE National Championship per year? Cheer is not taken serious when a cheer coach who is 25 years old can say they have won 20+ championships…other sports think, 'how is this even possible?'

I might be taking this out of context, but I was under the impression that college cheer teams are only allowed to compete at one "National" competition per year... or at least that's the rule with NCA, I think?

I still think it's unfortunate that they were not allowed to use the A for the rings. It's too common to see the cheerleaders at colleges and universities be held to the same high standards as all of the "real athletes" but not receive the same support.

The release form that all sign prior to attending a competition (or camp):
"Appearance Agreement. I understand that Varsity Spirit d/b/a UCA and/or UDA from time to time produces promotional material relating to its programs. I understand that as a participant in and/or a spectator at the Camp, I may be included in videotapes, photographs, DVD’s, Podcasts and videocasts taken during the camp. Therefore, without reservation or limitations, I hereby assign, transfer and grant to Varsity Spirit d/b/a UCA and/or UDA, its successors, assignees, licensees, sponsors, any television networks, and all other commercial exhibitors the exclusive right to photograph and/or videotape me and to utilize such videotapes and photographs and my name, face, likeness, voice and appearance as part of the Camp, in advertising and promoting the Camp or in advertising and promoting similar future events. I further understand that neither Varsity Spirit nor any third party is under any obligation to exercise any of the foregoing rights, licenses and privileges. I waive any right to inspect or approve the copies of any promotional materials related thereto."

If a student-athlete signs this release (and they are required to do so), they give up their rights to their image. They also are signing away the rights (inadvertently) of the university they represent. Has anyone gone to their respective athletic department or marketing department and asked the question, "Is this allowed?"…I can give the answer now….no. The profit made off of a university is not legal…but who has challenged it? if a cheer team wants to compete, they must sign the rights of the university away…which they really cannot do….but no one challenges it.

Some coaches/athletic directors seem to think that it's not allowed. When I was working in the business end of cheer we used an image of a college cheerleader that was taken at a competition. Due to terms of the sponsorship agreement with the EP we were permitted to use these images from their events in our advertising. This was spelled out in the release form that was signed by the athletes, including the one who's imaged we had used. Well, I get a phone call from the coach and he's all hot under the collar and seemed to think I had the ability to recall every issue of InsideCheer and AmericanCheerleader. Well, once our attorneys sent him a copy of the signed release, with pertinent portions hi lighted, he dropped the issue.

I might be taking this out of context, but I was under the impression that college cheer teams are only allowed to compete at one "National" competition per year... or at least that's the rule with NCA, I think?

I still think it's unfortunate that they were not allowed to use the A for the rings. It's too common to see the cheerleaders at colleges and universities be held to the same high standards as all of the "real athletes" but not receive the same support.

You are only allowed to compete at either UCA or NCA. This has nothing to do with Varsity (as I'm sure they'd love to have teams compete at both because that means more $$$ for them). The reasoning behind this is that UCA has a television agreement with ESPN, which is owned by ABC, which is in turn owned by Disney (UCA Nationals are held in Disney). NCA has a television agreement with FSB (Fox owned). So the real reason is that the teams can't be shown on different networks. However, the Cheer team from XYZ University can compete at UCA and the Dance team from XYZ University can compete at NCA without a conflict.
A team can compete at any of the other "Nationals" during the year in addition to either UCA or NCA. Most of those smaller "Nationals" (can we please just start calling them what they are, regionals?) have a college division and one or two teams will enter them. I've seen it mostly in the month before either UCA or NCA to get the teams some floor practice.

But a release signed by an athlete is for their person, not the logo of the university.

Back