All-Star Injured At Competition...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 17, 2011
Hey guys.. so this weekend at Super Nationals in Indy, I was at practice Friday night and fell out of a stunt in the first 30 seconds of the routine. (I am a flyer for that stunt) I hurt my ankle, but pushed through the rest of the routine, even though I was crying. When I got off the practice mats I sat and sobbed. My ankle swelled up really fast and was crazy bruised and swollen. One of my coaches used to be an EMT so she came and looked at it. They told me they were going to get me an alternate just incase. The next morning (Saturday) my ankle was like 3 times worse and I couldn't even put the slightest bit of weight on it. I went to the ER (I am from Michigan, so we had to find a hospital which thankfully wasn't far away) and found out it was a bad sprain, but I couldn't compete. Thankful it isn't broken, but I am asking first of all, that you all pray for me, I have a competition Feb. 4th, and would LOVE to compete with my team, second, have you ever had to deal with an injury at competition and not be able to compete, if so, how did you cope? And did you feel like you were letting your team, coaches, and gym down??? I did, and I still feel like I let everyone down....

No one seemed to be mad, infact, the entire gym (parents, athletes, coaches, everyone's family members, etc.) and even athletes from other gyms (including, FCA, Top Gun, F5, other Maryland Twisters teams, many other teams/gyms as well) were all very supportive, (so for anyone reading this who offered to help me, or who were just very kind and everything to a person from Elite Cheer-Michigan, who was in a wheel chair, I completely appreciate it more than you know.) I just still feel like I let everyone down... how did you cope with that? And how did you cope with not being able to be up there with your team??

Thanks everyone, and sorry if I kind of rambled a little.. lol

You should not feel guilty. It's hard, but really there is no reason to. The best thing you can do is listen to your doctor and don't try and get back into things too quickly. I have seen girls on my team ignore the doctors and coaches and try and tumble before they are ready. It's a terrible idea and will just prolong the time out.

Agreed!! No reason to feel guilty!! Stay off of it and let it rest.... Take it from someone who constantly sprains their ankles and still tumbles on them (worst descision ever!!!) also if you don't mind me asking, what team did you compete with at Indy?

Agreed!! No reason to feel guilty!! Stay off of it and let it rest.... Take it from someone who constantly sprains their ankles and still tumbles on them (worst descision ever!!!) also if you don't mind me asking, what team did you compete with at Indy?
Of course I don't mind! :) My team that I'm on is Elite Cheer-Michigan, Vipers. Small Sr. 2. :) I am so proud of my alternate. She did awesome, and we ended up getting first place. Pretty much the whole team was crying because we were so shocked and surprised and excited. :) I'm also so proud of my team for pulling together and working so hard. they did amazing<3
ETA

You should not feel guilty. It's hard, but really there is no reason to. The best thing you can do is listen to your doctor and don't try and get back into things too quickly. I have seen girls on my team ignore the doctors and coaches and try and tumble before they are ready. It's a terrible idea and will just prolong the time out.
Thank you :)

And thank you for the advice. :)

My cp sprained her ankle last season. thankfully it wasn't a horrible sprain, but the doctor said that oftentimes sprains are more painful, take longer to complete heal than breaks. They also said once you get this injury, it can happen a lot easier in the future, so, once you're able, be sure to stretch and strengthen your ankle a lot. After being told all that, i was surprised with how quickly cp's ankle healed, so hopefully you'll be on it competing again before you thought!

Sorry to hear about your injury. Prayers your way for a quick recovery.

Being a dedicated athlete, I can understand feeling guilty but you really shouldn't. Injuries happen sometimes and the important thing to focus on is recovery. I remember when my daughter came down with this rare disease right before a major national competition (we felt like it was our year to win) and it was in her best interest NOT to compete. It was the hardest decision to make on not letting her compete as we felt like we were letting the team down. It is an aweful feeling but you have to look at the other side of it - the potential damage could be worse.

As for the ankle injury - hopefully your doctor recomended physical therapy. My daughter had 3 weeks to rehabilitate her ankle to be able to be on the floor with her team. DO EVERYTHING your doctor advises. The physical therapist will work on reducing the swelling and strengthening the muscles.

Good Luck.

My cp sprained her ankle last season. thankfully it wasn't a horrible sprain, but the doctor said that oftentimes sprains are more painful, take longer to complete heal than breaks. They also said once you get this injury, it can happen a lot easier in the future, so, once you're able, be sure to stretch and strengthen your ankle a lot. After being told all that, i was surprised with how quickly cp's ankle healed, so hopefully you'll be on it competing again before you thought!
Thanks! I actually have weak ankles, so I was told about 3 years ago that I was prone to sprains and breaks, but it just had never happened before...

Sorry to hear about your injury. Prayers your way for a quick recovery.

Being a dedicated athlete, I can understand feeling guilty but you really shouldn't. Injuries happen sometimes and the important thing to focus on is recovery. I remember when my daughter came down with this rare disease right before a major national competition (we felt like it was our year to win) and it was in her best interest NOT to compete. It was the hardest decision to make on not letting her compete as we felt like we were letting the team down. It is an aweful feeling but you have to look at the other side of it - the potential damage could be worse.

As for the ankle injury - hopefully your doctor recomended physical therapy. My daughter had 3 weeks to rehabilitate her ankle to be able to be on the floor with her team. DO EVERYTHING your doctor advises. The physical therapist will work on reducing the swelling and strengthening the muscles.

Good Luck.
Sorry to hear about your daughter, I can't even imagine not being able to cheer because of that. :(

And thanks, no they didn't recommend that, but they recommended going to an orthopedic doctor, so we probably will.

I agree with the physical therapy suggestion! Of course your dr will know best but once the initial swelling went away I was able to start therapy on my ankle.

And my favorite immediate suggestion...ICE!!! Best way to ice is a bucket with water and ice. Hurts like crazy but it really worked for me.

And if you have weak ankles, as the dr about wearing a brace.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, I can't even imagine not being able to cheer because of that. :(

And thanks, no they didn't recommend that, but they recommended going to an orthopedic doctor, so we probably will.

Sorry if my post came across as if she doesn't participate in the sport anymore. She does... She just couldn't take the risk of that one competition to compete until she was better. It was 2 days prior to competition and was not enough time to rework the routine so they pulled from the competition.

best of luck to you and hope you heal quickly.

Sorry if my post came across as if she doesn't participate in the sport anymore. She does... She just couldn't take the risk of that one competition to compete until she was better. It was 2 days prior to competition and was not enough time to rework the routine so they pulled from the competition.

best of luck to you and hope you heal quickly.
Oh! My apologies!! I'm glad she is still able to participate :)
And thank you! :)

Latest posts

Back