Injury Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 13, 2014
A girl on our cheer team has hurt her shoulder and cannot stunt. In general are these girls usually replaced or the routine reworked. I dont want to offend anyone by speaking up for a girl that I feel should not be replaced if that is the normal allstar policy. If i ask at my gym it might cause drama. Thanks

It's pretty common to replace someone, especially if it's close to a competition. Sometimes a routine will be reworked, but it's difficult since there generally aren't "extras" on a team.

Young girl age 7. Should she give back her uniform? She is very upset as is her mother.

Thanks for your objective opinion.

Is it a season-ending injury or something that will heal in a couple of weeks? I know we often have people from other teams fill in while someone is injured, but once the athlete is healed they get their spot back. As for the uniform, if you bought it then it's yours!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

it depends. if she is hurt permanently and can not compete for the rest of the season than it may just be easier to replace her instead of rearranging stunt group. if the anyone else on the team is upset by this you can simply explain that you are doing the best thing for the team and not just for the athlete. If the girl is temporailyurt you can get what my gm calls a flip flopper or a fill in . this flip flopper can learn the girls part and fill in until the girl is able to come back . but if permanently hurt than you should find someone that is willing to be on two teams and has the skill set requirements to be on the team

Is it a season-ending injury or something that will heal in a couple of weeks? I know we often have people from other teams fill in while someone is injured, but once the athlete is healed they get their spot back. As for the uniform, if you bought it then it's yours!

Some gyms may ask if the person filling in can borrow your uniform.

I am confused about this post... Is this young athlete injured for the whole season or can she participate in the routine in some other capacity? I think if she hurt her shoulder to the degree that the coaches are having to figure out if she can participate on the team and possibly asking her to turn in her uniform, it might sound mean on my part, but I think the coaches must consider the health of the team first and maybe asked this young athlete to concentrate on mending that shoulder and then welcome her back the next season, after all, she is only 7 and possibly have so many more cheer seasons ahead of her.:(

It is a very small gym. No extra uniforms and the coach is trying to trick the mom by saying she wants to care for all the uniforms and bring them to comp in ziplock baggies. It is a minor injury. Girl can perform just not do one pyramid.

Coach says she owns the uniforms. But we paid for them. I hadn't heard of this until this week. Am a very green newbie.

It is a very small gym. No extra uniforms and the coach is trying to trick the mom by saying she wants to care for all the uniforms and bring them to comp in ziplock baggies. It is a minor injury. Girl can perform just not do one pyramid.
Something else is going on. Either the injury is worse than you think or there is a dispute going in with the gym.

I hope the girl's shoulder heals well. and everything works well. I understand this as this happen to me earlier this season. Fortunately, my coaches worked around it until I could compete with less pain.

I think something else must be going on but I was told that all allstar gyms take up their uniforms. I'm hesitant to hand it over as I paid 300 to the team for it.

I hope the girl's shoulder heals well. and everything works well. I understand this as this happen to me earlier this season. Fortunately, my coaches worked around it until I could compete with less pain.
I'm glad your coaches worked around your injury. I thought this would be the right thing to do to show solidarity and teach team spirit. But I didnt want to be righteous if this was not what is normally done

I am confused about this post... Is this young athlete injured for the whole season or can she participate in the routine in some other capacity? I think if she hurt her shoulder to the degree that the coaches are having to figure out if she can participate on the team and possibly asking her to turn in her uniform, it might sound mean on my part, but I think the coaches must consider the health of the team first and maybe asked this young athlete to concentrate on mending that shoulder and then welcome her back the next season, after all, she is only 7 and possibly have so many more cheer seasons ahead of her.:(
They actually had a replacement practicing privately on the day of her ortho appointment. And team moms found this out later by accident.

I hope she has many more seasons but is discouraged and sad. Her mom says she cries and asks why she is being replaced.

Back