All-Star Is It A Failure To Not Progress?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My CP is in her 4th year of all stars. She was born with cerebral characteristics in her brain that has resulted in low muscle tone. She did not walk until she was 2 years old. This has definitely affected her ability to progress. No...after 6 years of taking both gymnastics (including 2 years of privates) and being in all star, she still has no back handspring. But she has a gorgeous back walkover that I am so proud of!! Will she ever get her BHS? Who knows? But that is no reason to take her out of an activity that she adores. She is on a level 2 squad because that is the lowest level her current gym has. But if she was having fun and gaining confidence on the same level 1 squad for 10 years, then so be it. She is a great cheerleader, whether she is level 1 or level 5!

Sherry- My last cp-7 was also born w/ Hypotonia/low muscle tone. We discovered it at 6 mo. and have no idea where it came from. She was diagnosed as having moderate hypotonia in her torso. I of course did internet research, which is not always a good idea, & was worried how it would affect her. She did PT every week until she started walking. She too was running behind & didn't walk until she was 2. I was told by Dr's & therapist that she would never be my coordinated gymnast or dancer & that she would have to work harder then the average child her age. Well, fast forward 4 years &, & 2 years of all-star, & she proved them wrong. ;) She's also a flier and I do see her struggling with her balance & things taking a little longer for her to get, she gets frustrated but is determined. I recently took her to a Sports Med. Dr. for some advice on how this is still affecting her & to give us some exercises to do to help her prevent injury. We were told to do core exercises & band work, mainly with her hips. He said if the core is strong it helps everything else. Have you guys been told anything different? Do you do anything extra to help her? I wouldn't be surprised if your cp's tumbling just takes off one day. These guys are full of surprises! On a plus side of the low muscle tone it made her very flexible. Cup half full after all the scares the internet gave me back then.
Sorry to change the subject but I don't hear about to many other parents dealing with this so I had to jump in. :D

Back