All-Star Is It A Failure To Not Progress?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This, too.

Unpopular opinion alert: Not everyone can MENTALLY HANDLE a Worlds team. Every kid with L5 skills is NOT Worlds ready.
Deleted the rest for space
SMOED showed us this,on their internet show this season. They had a girl on the team,that was a beast on their R5 team (Snipers,I believe), but crumbled under the pressure of SMOED. Skills wise,looking at a R5 to a worlds L5 team,the jump seems,very minimal. In fact,it almost looks like there is no jump,but most of us know,that just because you have the skills,doesn't mean you have the mental capacity for a worlds team.

My view on this,is that I want my child to do her personal best. If you are working your booty off and never get to level 5, I'm proud of you,because you worked for it and still achieved your personal best. Only 6 gymnast,every 4 years,make it to the Olympics,but there are still 100's of talented gymnasts around the country,who never make it there,but I still consider their gymnastic career a success.

@CharlotteASMom I am astounded that you find it "funny" and can not celebrate or see the success and joy in a child who finally performs a standing back handspring in competition after repeating level 2. Not every child who walks through your gym door has the potential to become a level 5 cheerleader but they do have the potential to become the best cheerleader...no matter the level achieved. The original post really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Huh?!?

The original post was a quote from Courtney Pope from a CEA thread a couple years ago. You obviously don't know me very well as my cp was one that in some people's eyes "failed to progress" having been a level 2 athlete for multiple years. Those were great years in cheer and I was the loudest Mama there every time she threw her back handspring.

Edited to Add: cheercurl corrected her first post. Thank you!

Last edited:
Huh?!?

The original post was a quote from Courtney Pope from a CEA thread a couple years ago. You obviously don't know me very well as my cp was one that in some people's eyes "failed to progress" having been a level 2 athlete for multiple years. Those were great years in cheer and I was the loudest Mama there every time she threw her back handspring.
Wow...then I apologize. That's really sad to hear that from an owner of one of the biggest gym's in the country. When and where did that original statement come from?

Wow...then I apologize. That's really sad to hear that from an owner of one of the biggest gym's in the country. When and where did that original statement come from?

there used to be a Cheer Extreme Rumors/Questions thread just like CA/BlueCat prior to her leaving the boards. that was CSP's response to a question, not @CharlotteASMom - I believe we may have been hijacking the CEA thread, so the quote was moved here to further discuss.

This is a great discussion but the whole thread makes me queasy. It's like trying to define "happiness". This could go on for hundreds of pages with no agreement.

Food for thought: the NCA jacket for Mini 1 looks the same as the NCA jacket for Senior 5.
I totally agree...

What if we are thinking of progress in the wrong way and only thinking of progressing in levels? Staying the same level many years in a row may not define failure but does becoming apathetic and not trying to improve/progress your skills at that level?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Where Banberry is not just a drink

What if we are thinking of progress in the wrong way and only thinking of progressing in levels? Staying the same level many years in a row may not define failure but does becoming apathetic and not trying to improve/progress your skills at that level?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Where Banberry is not just a drink
Still not failure in my book. If my CP peaks at her level because she doesn't want to pour her heart and soul in this extracurricular activity, I'm ok with that. This may be blasphemous, but a child's life doesn't need to revolve around one particular activity. There is a lot to be said for a well rounded person with many activites. Jack of all trades, master of none isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Still not failure in my book. If my CP peaks at her level because she doesn't want to pour her heart and soul in this extracurricular activity, I'm ok with that. This may be blasphemous, but a child's life doesn't need to revolve around one particular activity. There is a lot to be said for a well rounded person with many activites. Jack of all trades, master of none isn't necessarily a bad thing.
But is she progressing at her social skills, problem solving, team effort, unity? Those are still areas you can progress in while doing cheer, even if your other athletic skills might not be growing above and beyond gentle refinement.

I do think, however, that apathy is a different story. If your child shows a complete lack of care for what they're doing, they probably shouldn't be doing it, no? I differentiate that and 'not caring as much as other people.' Apathy is the absence of feeling or interest, versus full-on gung-ho cheer-or-die. You can be interested in what you're doing but not stressing over it.

I took it as apathy towards improving, not towards the activity in general.
Ehh..don't know how I feel about that. Apathy towards improving is one of my pet peeves. It doesn't have to be a huge priority, but complete stagnation (even if all you're doing is refinement, it's still something) rubs me the wrong way.

I think that you should let the child define what their goals are and support them in what they want to do. Not every kid wants to go to Worlds. If they're happy on a level 1 or 2 team, who can consider that a failure? I just let my child tell me what they would like to accomplish and I do my part to help her get there. At the end of the day, she's going to have to put in all the work. It doesn't make sense to me to set the bar high for a child that doesn't want to attain those same goals.

Back