College Is University of Kentucky a program on the decline?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
Something tells me that the University of Kentucky has been on the wane ever since 2020 while the likes of South Florida, UCF and even Ohio State are on the rise. Thoughts?

They lost Coach JoMo and had athletes leave for Weber, then you add in Covid. I feel like they are going through some rebuilding growing pains.

When you are at the top, the only place to go is down. I do not like it will last forever, or even very long.

It takes time to build a program, and it has been a rough time to be starting from essentially scratch. You figure out scoresheets, you recruit a bit better, and things begin to fall into place. I wouldn't write them off yet.

Alabama also looked strong. I was impressed that all girl got first and coed got second. Both teams did well.

There is talent everywhere. Certain schools / programs learn how to recruit better to fit their university, and then develop that talent.

You need both to win: great recruiting and great coaching. There are places with great coaching but just not enough talent, and the opposite. So UCF and USF and Weber figured it out. And the same solution doesn't work for each place.

UCF has always been good. When they hit they are as good if not better than UK was with Jomo. USF has learned that safe wins when it hits clean and others don't.
I don't see UK being what they were with the current coaching staff. It wasn't just the falls, but they missed signs on the entire right side. I assume that had to have impacted their score as well, and that is a basic error versus difficult skills that are more understandable.

Tuition costs, housing, and acceptance rates of these universities are huge factors, as well. Navarro and TVCC aren't only great cheer colleges, they're smart financial choices for these athletes to complete their basic courses, and then transfer to the university of their choice. I do believe college students are rethinking taking on massive student loan debt just to go to their "dream" college. Community colleges avg $50-200 per credit hour depending on residency and universities avg $400-1200 per credit hour. <<<That's a huge recruiting advantage.

UCF has always been good. When they hit they are as good if not better than UK was with Jomo. USF has learned that safe wins when it hits clean and others don't.
I don't see UK being what they were with the current coaching staff. It wasn't just the falls, but they missed signs on the entire right side. I assume that had to have impacted their score as well, and that is a basic error versus difficult skills that are more understandable.
I agree, though the sign on the right was dropped by a mid layer flyer when the stunt bobbled. It wasn't just that it was completely missed. But cheer portion stunts/pyramids should be easy enough that the flyers don't drop the signs.

@catlady I agree but in the past, many of the junior College athletes would go to Kentucky after they finished their time with the junior colleges. Now I see them looking at other Universities. I know a lot of the top athletes at TVCC are planning on going to Weber next season.

@catlady I agree but in the past, many of the junior College athletes would go to Kentucky after they finished their time with the junior colleges. Now I see them looking at other Universities. I know a lot of the top athletes at TVCC are planning on going to Weber next season.
Don't forget about Louisville as well!

USF has slowly been climbing the rankings year after year, this would be their second title. Their difficulty has definitely improved from 2021 to this year. They also had an incredible crowd this year as well, in terms of their cheer section. Super happy for them tbh.
i know UCF lost some of their long term veteran guys and a few flyers last year due to graduating. Dont know if that played a role this year for them.
i think kentucky is going to have some rough years due to the staff changes, i dont know how much of the original staff possibly left after jomo, but i do wonder if that is playing a role.

I agree, though the sign on the right was dropped by a mid layer flyer when the stunt bobbled. It wasn't just that it was completely missed. But cheer portion stunts/pyramids should be easy enough that the flyers don't drop the signs.
That's one of the main reasons why the NCA routines are all-music routines as opposed to UCA (except for all-star teams).

USF has slowly been climbing the rankings year after year, this would be their second title. Their difficulty has definitely improved from 2021 to this year. They also had an incredible crowd this year as well, in terms of their cheer section. Super happy for them tbh.
i know UCF lost some of their long term veteran guys and a few flyers last year due to graduating. Dont know if that played a role this year for them.
i think kentucky is going to have some rough years due to the staff changes, i dont know how much of the original staff possibly left after jomo, but i do wonder if that is playing a role.
Don't forget about the absence of T. Lynn Williamson as well.

That's one of the main reasons why the NCA routines are all-music routines as opposed to UCA (except for all-star teams).
Why would that be a reason? Plus you realize a cheer was required at NCA college nationals up until last year right?

Back