High School Jumps From Spring To Hard Floor

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 26, 2011
Anybody else have difficulty going from spring floor to hard floor for jumps?
My jumps to back are average on the spring floor, and i never bust. But for some reason, when I go to the hard floor they are terrible! And I land forward or bust sometimes. I think I psych myself out too. Any tips or anybody else have this problem? Thanks:)

On the hard floor you really have to focus on technique. On a spring floor it allows you to throw things without necessarily having perfect correct form for skills 100 percent of the time, but the hard floor doesn't let you do that. Really focus every time on pushing all the way through your toes, setting high (no head thrown back), and pulling your toes over quickly. Try to hold on to it too and not put your hands down when you think you're going to bust also.... I mentally used to reach for the floor after busting a bunch even though I had the skill fine back in high school. Just be determined and tell yourself that you WILL hit it, no exceptions, because you can do it and won't give up! Another thing you may want to do as an added thing every day is to condition your core muscles and do your jump sequence multiple times per day so that when you add in the tuck it won't be much different from just throwing a standing back. Also it will take not as much effort to pull your toes over thanks to the core/ab conditioning. Debbie Love's site has some great conditioning for tucks: http://www.fortheloveoftumbling.com...ning/Entries/2010/2/17_Tuck_Conditioning.html
Hope this helps some!

Do conditioning drills that strengthen your legs and the muscles that help you jump higher - don't know the name but especially the muscle right above your knee on the inside of your leg. Frog jumps are a good drill but there are a ton of others you can do too.

Like cheerforever said doing them on the spring floor can compensate for not using perfect technique and that won't happen on the hard floor. Make sure your actually jumping between the jump and the tuck. A lot of girls on spring floor land the jump and instead of jumping they just punch the floor and let the spring take them up. If you try to punch a hard floor your going no where and may get shin splints if you do it hard enough and enough times. Make sure you are landing your jump, bending, jumping and setting up.

Do conditioning drills that strengthen your legs and the muscles that help you jump higher - don't know the name but especially the muscle right above your knee on the inside of your leg. Frog jumps are a good drill but there are a ton of others you can do too.

Like cheerforever said doing them on the spring floor can compensate for not using perfect technique and that won't happen on the hard floor. Make sure your actually jumping between the jump and the tuck. A lot of girls on spring floor land the jump and instead of jumping they just punch the floor and let the spring take them up. If you try to punch a hard floor your going no where and may get shin splints if you do it hard enough and enough times. Make sure you are landing your jump, bending, jumping and setting up.
Oh my gosh that makes perfect sense! I definetly think thats what I do on the spring floor AND hard floor and why I'm having such a problem. Definetly explains why they are worse when I'm tired and try to just whip them over lol. Thanks so much!

Back