High School Kick Twist Basket Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2017
Need some drills and tips to help flyers get a kick twist basket! They are close but can’t figure it out! We work in a high school gym so we obvs don’t have trampolines or anything like that!

I don’t know if this is typical bc I don’t have that much experience with kick fulls, but we taught our flyer to do it from a heelstretch lib. She didn’t understand how to kick, so we told her to just snap the heelstretch down and kick the other leg at the same time and pull it around. Now she’s pretty good at them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need some drills and tips to help flyers get a kick twist basket! They are close but can’t figure it out! We work in a high school gym so we obvs don’t have trampolines or anything like that!

Do you have a video? If we can see specifically what needs to be improved upon we could give better/more relevant feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best tip I have is to not do them. Baskets serve little to no purpose in high school cheerleading.

If you insist, I would suggest finding an all star gym somewhere nearby and paying them to use their safety equipment and/or teach her. Kick full baskets put everyone involved except the "main" base (I use the term to denote the side of the basket she's standing on, not that there is a difference of technique between bases) at risk. The top needs a very high level of body awareness and control, and really needs to know exactly what she's going to do before she's placed onto the hands of the tossers. It's much easier to teach the tossers to turn and catch a top that has practiced the skill, than to ask them to put themselves in harm's way trying to turn and catch a top when they have no idea what she might do.

The best tip I have is to not do them. Baskets serve little to no purpose in high school cheerleading.

If you insist, I would suggest finding an all star gym somewhere nearby and paying them to use their safety equipment and/or teach her. Kick full baskets put everyone involved except the "main" base (I use the term to denote the side of the basket she's standing on, not that there is a difference of technique between bases) at risk. The top needs a very high level of body awareness and control, and really needs to know exactly what she's going to do before she's placed onto the hands of the tossers. It's much easier to teach the tossers to turn and catch a top that has practiced the skill, than to ask them to put themselves in harm's way trying to turn and catch a top when they have no idea what she might do.

Thanks for the advice! I am looking to contact gyms to use tramps and other equipment! Our county has a wonderful rubric telling us what skills score what and kick twists will give us a ton of points. My cheerleaders are very athletic and very eager to get this skill so I’m looking for anything and everything to help them!!

Thanks for the advice! I am looking to contact gyms to use tramps and other equipment! Our county has a wonderful rubric telling us what skills score what and kick twists will give us a ton of points. My cheerleaders are very athletic and very eager to get this skill so I’m looking for anything and everything to help them!!

Out of curiosity, what state/county is this? I'd like to see their rubric

Back