All-Star Late Starting Sunday Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

HPEmom

Cheer Parent
Dec 30, 2009
Why is it that some competitions start late on Sundays? We have a competition this Sunday that is beginning at noon with awards for levels 1, 2, and special needs at 5:15. Awards for 3, 4, and 5 are at 9:45pm. The same competition company runs Saturday competitions from 8 - 6. Come on, we parents have to drive back home, get kids in bed and be up for work on Monday.

What gives?

They may not have access into the gym untill later due to another event like basketball.

maybe religious reasons? or people not wanting to get up super early

i know i worked a competition a few weeks ago, that used to start earlier, and lot of people were complaining about waht time they would have to get up to start. if competitions start at 9, youd have to start stretching at at warm ups by 8. some people would have to be up by 6 or earlier.

Late Sunday competitions are just unacceptable. I can see a local high school comp starting at 1 on a Sunday, you're done by 4pm and everyone lives pretty close. But a competition with All Star levels 1-5 starting at 1 on Sunday is ridiculous. My niece cheers at her HS, and they competed at a Sunday competition last year. This comp started at 9am with All Stars, then put High School after the AS divisions were done at 6pm. They started with middle school at 6pm, then went to JV, then Sm Varsity, Med Varsity, Lg Varsity and Super Lg Varsity. She's on a Lg Varsity team. They competed at 9:30pm!!! Let me tell you how furious those parents were! They complained to the superintendent, who found out that the coach knew they would start that late and never told the parents or thought that was too late for a school night. She was fired.

Late Sunday competitions are just unacceptable. I can see a local high school comp starting at 1 on a Sunday, you're done by 4pm and everyone lives pretty close. But a competition with All Star levels 1-5 starting at 1 on Sunday is ridiculous. My niece cheers at her HS, and they competed at a Sunday competition last year. This comp started at 9am with All Stars, then put High School after the AS divisions were done at 6pm. They started with middle school at 6pm, then went to JV, then Sm Varsity, Med Varsity, Lg Varsity and Super Lg Varsity. She's on a Lg Varsity team. They competed at 9:30pm!!! Let me tell you how furious those parents were! They complained to the superintendent, who found out that the coach knew they would start that late and never told the parents or thought that was too late for a school night. She was fired.

thats the best way to end a story! :D
i remember one year, we went to a lot of sunday competitions and one girl on the team said she got kicked out of the church for missing so many days.. never heared of church kicking you out... but i dis-like having to stay at sunday competitions for unneccasary amounts of time, then get home and know you don't have free time to do things.

i have a competition coming up in a week 3 hours away from home and my awards dont start till 9:30...its a school night and we compete like twenty minutes before awards. i wish the event planners would take in to consideration the athletes that register year after year from other towns

agreed! the event planners dont take into the consideration that the cheerleaders have school the next morning and have to get up. they also dont think of the parents that have to go to work, and how long it takes some of the people to get home. its ridiculousss!

i have a competition coming up in a week 3 hours away from home and my awards dont start till 9:30...its a school night and we compete like twenty minutes before awards. i wish the event planners would take in to consideration the athletes that register year after year from other towns
You have school on a holiday? We compete in Charlotte next weekend and I live 6.5 hours away. Luckily it's MLK day and they don't have school.

agree, then monday morning it's a drag to get out of bed, if your going to have a sunday competition at least start it at like 10, or 9. because i had 2 single day sunday competitions last season, and one started at 9, and we got out with awards by 3, 4, and got home at a reasonable time, the other one started at 3 and ended around 9:30 and by the time i got home it was 10 something, it was ridiculous,

especially competitions that are out of state! i usually had to take the day off from school because i wouldn't get home until 4 in the morning or something crazy.

We once attended a late Sunday competition where the starting of awards was not until 8:30. The next year they canceled that competition due to low sign up.

agreed! the event planners dont take into the consideration that the cheerleaders have school the next morning and have to get up. they also dont think of the parents that have to go to work, and how long it takes some of the people to get home. its ridiculousss!

As someone who works for an event producer, I can assure you that we do take those things into consideration. Those late running events are just as rough for us as they are for you- and you have to remember that there are hours of work left to be done after the last awards ceremony is over and the doors are closed (teardown for a local event takes AT LEAST 3 hours). We have long drives home, too, and we have to be up and in our office by 9am the next day. I've never worked at a competition that ran that late into the night by choice of the event producer. It usually has to do with the venue and the time restrictions they put on us (like not allowing us to set up until the morning of the competition). When these issues come up, there's generally no way to work around them (too late to find a new venue, no other venues available, etc).

We've been lucky so far that our only Sunday competitions have started early in the morning. I'd much rather be getting up at 6 am than getting home at 11 pm.

You have school on a holiday? We compete in Charlotte next weekend and I live 6.5 hours away. Luckily it's MLK day and they don't have school.

ahhhh yeahh i forgot its MLK day. haha but no doubt there are competitions out of town that we havent gotten home till like one in the morning on a school night

It's usually best to spend the night and take a day off of work and school. Most two day competitions include travel Friday through Monday. Last year we were at a competition until after 1:00AM and waiting for jackets only to be told they ran out and would take the sizes and send them. In the end, the Huge Check was worth the wait ... but a long long day and night just the same. Gotta love cheerleading or you'd be crazy to do it, right<3

Back