All-Star Length Of A Routine

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

wcdad said:
Has there been any thought to the use of a timing beep at the start of a routine like is done for dance and gymnastics?

The tone in gymnastics lets them know time left (I forget how many seconds). If they haven't completed their dismount by the time the second one sounds it's a deduction. I don't know that would help cheer. Coaches know when their mix is over. They just hope they don't get called on it.

Maybe when the time of a mix says 2:35 it's actually 2:30 of music and 5 seconds of nothing, so that the athletes have longer to get ready to perform? Or maybe it has an extra 5 seconds at the end so if the coaches of the gym wanted all the mixes on one CD for practices or whatever there would be a little time in between them all before they started. Just an idea.

Maybe when the time of a mix says 2:35 it's actually 2:30 of music and 5 seconds of nothing, so that the athletes have longer to get ready to perform? Or maybe it has an extra 5 seconds at the end so if the coaches of the gym wanted all the mixes on one CD for practices or whatever there would be a little time in between them all before they started. Just an idea.

At events the general rule is time starts with the first note or organized movement, which ever comes first, and ends with the last note or organized movement, whichever comes last. The time the mix says usually doesn't come into play.

When you are mixing a cake, it's easier to add a little more rather than try to take some back. With a cheer mix, I'm sure it's easier to cut a bit off rather than trying to get a bit added after the fact.
I disagree. I see the opportunity to add a little music to a routine equal to finding that $10 bill in your coat pocket you didn't know you had.

When you are mixing a cake, it's easier to add a little more rather than try to take some back. With a cheer mix, I'm sure it's easier to cut a bit off rather than trying to get a bit added after the fact.

Yes but when baking it is important to be exact or your cake can turn out not so yummy. I do get what you are saying though I just figured it would be easier to cut it off at 2:28 to be safe then have to go back and cut some off the end ay worlds.

I understand where you are coming from here but the baker is going to deliver a final product that is what the customer ordered. He is not going to ice the cake, decorate it, deliver it, than cut and scrape off what is not needed.

I do some editing of videos with still pictures and it is not as easy as sounds. One change affects other things that come after. I could not imagine that editing a finished cheer mix would be that easy when you take into account voiceovers being timed for an exact spot as well as songs. Why would a DJ or Mixer take it upon himself to deliver a product that is over in time forcing a coach and owner to have them make some changes holding up their team’s progression? Why would a coach take delivery and make payment on it as well?

This is a double edge sword. Customer services as well as legality of the routine

It's really not that difficult...heck, I have music editing software and can/do cut and clip things myself (started w/ringtones years ago). For my dad, it's as easy as making a cake ;) (and that's w/the just the software he has at the house, not even including the stuff he has at the station he could use). Personally I think music editing is much easier than video editing (like more than clipping a few shots out of a video), but perhaps maybe that's just bc of my exposure to one over the other.

Sometimes you might not even have to clip that much or change VO's..just speed up the music a bit and cut a note or two out of the song.

Sometimes you might not even have to clip that much or change VO's..just speed up the music a bit and cut a note or two out of the song.

I guess the underlying question is why deliver a product that is not legal and why use it if you are a coach. The amount of time and energy spent to fix it is not small. Most of these mixes are not done by coaches anymore but by pros that are in the business. It does not seem like a good business decision to do this to me. The old adage of “do it right the first time” comes to mind.

Has there been any thought to the use of a timing beep at the start of a routine like is done for dance and gymnastics?
The tone in gymnastics lets them know time left (I forget how many seconds). If they haven't completed their dismount by the time the second one sounds it's a deduction. I don't know that would help cheer. Coaches know when their mix is over. They just hope they don't get called on it.
In Gymnastics, time starts when the athlete touches the apparatus. They get a 10 second warning. Then they get the penalty beep. I've really only seen this done on beam.

Can we enforce a setup on the floor time limit as well? If I have to watch a team step on the floor and huddle up, or an 8 count motion sequence just to move to their opening spots, I might shoot myself.
I'm waiting for the day that timing starts at the "first organized movement" like it says in the rules. All the teams that stand there and then count, 5-6-7-8 and hit their opening pose would be in for a surprise.

I'm waiting for the day that timing starts at the "first organized movement" like it says in the rules. All the teams that stand there and then count, 5-6-7-8 and hit their opening pose would be in for a surprise.

Exactly. It's silly to me. Nobody is that impressed that you just snap, shimmy, clapped and cleaned together before you started.

imrichhowboutu I've always wondered why that didn't count. Back in the early days, teams would do these elaborate entrances and pre-routine chants, etc. I thought the time limit was supposed to eliminate all that mess.

Can we enforce a setup on the floor time limit as well? If I have to watch a team step on the floor and huddle up, or an 8 count motion sequence just to move to their opening spots, I might shoot myself.
I know we love our athletes..but maybe worlds would be shorter if there wasn't a 5 minute pre-routine celebration every time a team stepped out onto the mat..it adds to the excitement, but it also adds to the duration..

Back