High School Let's Talk Socks...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

But whyyy? I sound like a 2 y/o but I'm curious.
I don't like them with busy uniforms. Simple, clean collegiate is works okay.

And, my girls have the same complaint about not being able to back spot with them. They have never practiced with them either. They slide more than a brace.

Two of our athletes wear ankle braces that are so high they won't show. We are trying to decide if we should do crew and just have them wear whatever. One back says it's hard to grip the flyer with the crew socks.
When we started wearing them I thought we would run into that issue. I made the flyers wear them to every practice and not one complaint from a backspot. They had no issues with socks vs no socks. Some of the top teams in the country wear tall socks, so it clearly doesn't hinder them either. The back may have an issue, but my guess is she just doesn't like them and uses that as an excuse.

When we started wearing them I thought we would run into that issue. I made the flyers wear them to every practice and not one complaint from a backspot. They had no issues with socks vs no socks. Some of the top teams in the country wear tall socks, so it clearly doesn't hinder them either. The back may have an issue, but my guess is she just doesn't like them and uses that as an excuse.
What a relief! Did any of the kids resist at first? And @Twinklestars I totally agree that they don't look good with busy uniforms.

As a backspot, it really depends on the quality of the sock. If they're rougher or cheaper fabric, I can usually get a pretty good grip. If they're smoother or fuzzy, no good. I've asked a flyer take her socks off at practice because they were fuzzy and I just couldn't get a grip. But most socks are usually okay. And it helps if you have sweaty hands? Or if flyers put lotion on. So, doesn't matter much to me, since I can usually get a grip.
Aesthetically, I like them with clean collegiate/high school uniforms. And they have to be white! No black socks. If they wore black shoes, then I would like black socks (ie, Top Gun). But white shoes get white socks!

What a relief! Did any of the kids resist at first? And @Twinklestars I totally agree that they don't look good with busy uniforms.
We had a couple that didn't want to, but they all were fine after we got them. They all wear the nike elites as fashion statements, which are basically colored crew socks, so the jump wasn't out of left field.

As a backspot, it really depends on the quality of the sock. If they're rougher or cheaper fabric, I can usually get a pretty good grip. If they're smoother or fuzzy, no good. I've asked a flyer take her socks off at practice because they were fuzzy and I just couldn't get a grip. But most socks are usually okay. And it helps if you have sweaty hands? Or if flyers put lotion on. So, doesn't matter much to me, since I can usually get a grip.
Aesthetically, I like them with clean collegiate/high school uniforms. And they have to be white! No black socks. If they wore black shoes, then I would like black socks (ie, Top Gun). But white shoes get white socks!
There is a team near us that wears black socks and white shoes. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but the socks do go with their uniforms quite well. The shoes are what throw me off!

ETA to fix a grammar issue that was bothering me!

Last edited:
I hate the look of long socks and I hate stunting when my flyer is wearing them, I cannot grab her ankle properly and I'm pretty short for a back spot so it's not like I can grab higher
I hate the look and stunting too. They make everyones legs look stubby. And while I CAN back with them, it's definitely easier to back without them. It's okay if you're significantly taller than your bases and can grab toward the top of the socks but I'm not all that tall so if the bases are closer to my height and I can't grab higher on the leg it's really difficult. I just don't get why they're a thing?¿?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate the look and stunting too. They make everyones legs look stubby. And while I CAN back with them, it's definitely easier to back without them. It's okay if you're significantly taller than your bases and can grab toward the top of the socks but I'm not all that tall so if the bases are closer to my height and I can't grab higher on the leg it's really difficult. I just don't get why they're a thing?¿?

Because they look good! And more sophisticated, IMO. Of course, they can't erase a poor performance from my memory.

Last edited:
I hate the look and stunting too. They make everyones legs look stubby
Exactly why I hate them too. They cut the line of the leg off in such an awkward place and it looks even more weird if you have muscular legs. I want my legs to look like VS Angel mile long legs at all times and high socks give the exact opposite look. I tolerate it for games where people aren't pulling as many body positions, but as soon as anyone jumps or pulls a heel stretch in them I'm dying to rip them off.

Exactly why I hate them too. They cut the line of the leg off in such an awkward place and it looks even more weird if you have muscular legs. I want my legs to look like VS Angel mile long legs at all times and high socks give the exact opposite look. I tolerate it for games where people aren't pulling as many body positions, but as soon as anyone jumps or pulls a heel stretch in them I'm dying to rip them off.
My legs are pretty long but super muscular and it's amazing how those socks make them look like they're an inch long. It's the same reason I don't generally wear short boots, I do own combat boots but I'll only wear them with pants (and I hardly wear them anyway) bc with a skirt/dress with leg exposed my legs look so stubby.

Back