All-Star Limitations On Bow, Make-up, Choreography Too

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 16, 2012
So it seems to me that these new guidelines/rules are heading towards the Pop-Warner or more restricted cheer ways. What makes our sport unique and different are now being policed. What I really want to know is who will be measuring the bows (for 3 in.), the shorts (2 in. inseem), and etc...

This may just be my personal opinion but I feel like all-stars are heading backwards ... any comments or suggestions?

I doubt every person will be measured, but I think it gives a "rule" if someone looks "questionable."

I don't love the rule, but honestly isn't worth that much to me in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt every person will be measured, but I think it gives a "rule" if someone looks "questionable."

I don't love the rule, but honestly isn't worth that much to me in the grand scheme of things.

Right, it's a guideline for gyms and uniform companies to use when designing uniforms. I can't imagine too many deductions given out unless you blatantly violate the rules (ie tube top type uniform). Likewise, if you have a crossover from senior to junior, I doubt your team will get a deduction if she doesn't have time to change from her crop top to full top.

I agree some uniforms are very risque ... but to have to wear a t-shirt over your uniform when not competing, walking to warm-ups, or in warm-ups is over kill ... what about those kids just wearing sports bras (not uniforms) walking around an arena?????

I agree some uniforms are very risque ... but to have to wear a t-shirt over your uniform when not competing, walking to warm-ups, or in warm-ups is over kill ... what about those kids just wearing sports bras (not uniforms) walking around an arena?????

I don't mind them as guidelines, kind of a "hey gyms, this is good cheer behavior," but there's just no way to enforce it. And I'm sure sports bras won't be allowed either.

As a former gym owner my kids where not allowed to wear their skirts unzipped, or UGGs with unis, or run around in sports bras ... etc... but the size of a bow, your in seem, skirt lenght, etc.. it just a lot as a coach/cheerleader/parent to consider

This also may address a security/safety issue. Anyone who can buy a ticket, can watch the competitions including pedafiles. My cp must always wear something over her uniform when her team isn't ready to go back for warm ups.

As a former gym owner my kids where not allowed to wear their skirts unzipped, or UGGs with unis, or run around in sports bras ... etc... but the size of a bow, your in seem, skirt lenght, etc.. it just a lot as a coach/cheerleader/parent to consider

Do you really think that putting some uniform requirements in place means that all-star cheerleading is going backwards? Look at the uniform thread and see how many times people complain about skirts and shorts being too short or small.

This also may address a security/safety issue. Anyone who can buy a ticket, can watch the competitions including pedafiles. My cp must always wear something over her uniform when her team isn't ready to go back for warm ups.
I completely understand and some crops tops/unis are very short ... I can also see how they want our image as cheerleaders not to be damaged ... there is also that the tops needs straps and short lengths, skirt lengths

Do you really think that putting some uniform requirements in place means that all-star cheerleading is going backwards? Look at the uniform thread and see how many times people complain about skirts and shorts being too short or small.

Exactly.

i think bows, make-up, and choreography along with the new rule changes in both All-Star and HS all together combined seems like YES its going backwards ... I think the coaches / gym owners need more certification / education ... but for uniforms as a parent I don't like the crazy short crops on the lil ones but to make cheer cost effective having different uniforms for different teams may cause issues with expences ... some crop tops are OK some NOT ... its all in the eye of the beholder I guess

The whole 10 inch uniform thing is strange to me. People come in all different shapes and sizes. How can you regulate the inches of stomach allowed across the board?

They're not going to measure, just like NCA doesn't measure skirt length even though they have it in their rules. If your crop top stops at your bra and your skirt stops 3 inches below your belly button, you might get hit with a penalty. I'm sure it's just there as a guideline for when ordering. The NCA rules make more sense than this arbitrary 10" rule though.

Female Cheer Tops
• Standard shell, crop, or midriff top
• No “bra top” style or size tops – material must fall at least one inch below the bra line
• No extremely low cut necklines
• No excessively bare or backless style tops
• Must have solid material around the back
• No “tube tops”
• Must be secured by straps or material over at least one shoulder or around the neck

Female Cheer Skirts
• Must fully cover the hips
• Must completely cover briefs when feet are shoulder width apart AND, in the back, fall at least 1.5
inches below boy-short briefs or 2 inches below standard briefs
• No excessively short or tight skirts
• No ultra low rise waistbands (no lower than 2 inches below navel) when worn in conjunction with
a cropped or midriff baring top

They're not going to measure, just like NCA doesn't measure skirt length even though they have it in their rules. If your crop top stops at your bra and your skirt stops 3 inches below your belly button, you might get hit with a penalty. I'm sure it's just there as a guideline for when ordering. The NCA rules make more sense than this arbitrary 10" rule though.

Female Cheer Tops
• Standard shell, crop, or midriff top
• No “bra top” style or size tops – material must fall at least one inch below the bra line
• No extremely low cut necklines
• No excessively bare or backless style tops
• Must have solid material around the back
• No “tube tops”
• Must be secured by straps or material over at least one shoulder or around the neck

Female Cheer Skirts
• Must fully cover the hips
• Must completely cover briefs when feet are shoulder width apart AND, in the back, fall at least 1.5
inches below boy-short briefs or 2 inches below standard briefs
• No excessively short or tight skirts
• No ultra low rise waistbands (no lower than 2 inches below navel) when worn in conjunction with
a cropped or midriff baring top
I think maybe when the list it more like you just did it will make more sense ... and is it just guidelines

I think maybe when the list it more like you just did it will make more sense ... and is it just guidelines

I mean, it is a rule, but it's really not enforceable unless someone clearly violates the rule. At NCA College you'll get hit in the collegiate image section of the scoresheet if you violate the rule, but it has to be pretty blatant for anything to happen. All-star doesn't have a section like that though they could just give a deduction.