OT Living In An Apartment...affording One...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My numbers probably won't help, but here you go! I live in Orange County, Cali, about 5 minutes away from OCC.

Rent - $725
Electric - $118 (unrealistic for you, my apt. is crap. I hate it)
Internet - $60.99

Cost of living is really expensive out here, that's why I'm planning on moving soon. Plus, I want some adventure!

i looked into going to OCC. i love cali

i looked into going to OCC. i love cali

I have tried to convince all you Texans to go to OCC... (you and Ariel) IT IS MY FAVORITE SCHOOL EVER. I wish I could go back to JC and be on their dance team. (I also wish I could dance like that)

Co-sign to everything above, and I would add this: when you're looking for an apartment (roomie or no roomie), don't limit yourself to just Google searches, just Craigslist, etc. Look EVERYWHERE for rentals, and if you're planning to visit an apartment, try and take someone with rental experience. When I've looked before, I'd make up a list of potential addresses and drive past them at night. Anything can look solid in daylight...night can be a whole different story!

Good luck!

If you're still in school (no idea if you are) use rent.com...you have to have a .edu email to register because it's geared for students, but they find rather well priced apartments and can give you coupons for rent.

Just to give you an idea, I'll give you my monthly expenses. I like to see real #'s myself when planning things. I live on my own, no roommates, one-bedroom apt. My monthly take home is approx. $2,000.

Rent: $625.00

YOUR RENT FOR A 1BR IS $625?! I need to move to that part of the country, that's what I paid for my rent in a 3br with 2 other roommates. [Edit - just noticed you live in MA too!] Our heating bills (gas) were also well over $200/mo during the winter (yay old houses). Prices vary wildly across the country, so it might be better if we know where you (the OP, not createmagic) lives if you want some price estimates.

My advice would be to get roommates, it's way cheaper. I live with my boyfriend now, but if I had to move out, I would prefer to live with just one roommate who I know I get along with it. I think it tends to be easier that way, but 2 or more roommates definitely brings down the costs of utilities and price per bedroom.

If you're still in school (no idea if you are) use rent.com...you have to have a .edu email to register because it's geared for students, but they find rather well priced apartments and can give you coupons for rent.

Rent.com isn't limited to those with a .edu - I've used it before. It's annoying that you have to register though to use it. It generally only lists apartment complexes, which in some parts of the country (like near me in Boston) are way more expensive than smaller buildings or two-family homes, triple deckers, etc. That's generally the norm here for apartments.

Check out craigslist for an idea of what rent goes for in your area. Padmapper.com is a really neat site that will show craigslist postings (and data from other sites) on a map and you can filter on them to show listings in your price range, etc.

Back