Local Small Gym Or Bigger Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thanks!

Well, I secretly want to tell them "what are you thinking when you put 5,6,7,8 olds in youth and then put my CP in with a handful of 5-6 year old complete beginners in mini? Do you really think that will feel like worth paying that much money for?" But that's mean and I shouldn't tell them how to run their teams. So I will say something like we feel that the teams aren't working for us this season and the other place is a better fit, for now anyway. Plus the fact that only 3 competitions feels like too little when we're expected to pay 300 bucks for uniforms. That's 100/competition just for uniform. Divide that by 2.5 mins and you'll get the cost per minute as $40. Lol.............

Yes, I did my research and homework and I made the best choice for my daughter. Or rather I let her decide really, but I agree with the decision. My husband also agrees when I told him everything.

Please do not tell them that because remember your daughter doesn't have skills to put her on a level 2 team and age wise she fits better on a mini team (5- 8) They might be insulted because you are disagreeing with their decisions. On our mini team of 18 girls they all have the BWO with the exception of another new 5 year old. Good luck, keep us posted on how she does.

The youth team at the old gym is level 1 also. But I don't want her to be on youth anyway. I want her to be on Mini 1 with 6-8 year olds (not 5-6 year olds only). And that's exactly what the new team is... Yeah I think most of the girls in the new team have their BWO. We might do a few privates. I'll assess the situation tonight. :)

Yep, I will try to say as little as possible, not keep going on and on...

A few of you might be curious as to what happens... but I feel I shouldn't really write about it (at least not in detail), just in case anyone from there or the new place reads this and figures out who we are... eh... HI! :oops:

You can always put it in the parent section! :)

Yes good idea, I will use that as one of the reasons. (the number of competitions)

Well... the thing was they didn't do much tumbling at the practice... so she (and I) couldn't really compare those skills. They did mostly stunting. My CP was really bad at being a flyer in the beginning but 1hr later she was already doing much better. I'm guessing tomorrow they will do more tumbling. Hoping not everyone already has their BWO. Ideal would be about half have it and the other half working on it. Can we be that lucky? :)

Do they have separate tumbling classes? When CP joined her current gym last year, I kept waiting and waiting for the tumbling at practice. Never happened. Eventually I found out that they wanted the kids to sign up for tumbling outside of cheer practice (a concept that was new to me). Luckily, it was only an additional $18 for two months.

Oh... Well another parent said they do tumbling, but not every practice. Yeah they have tumbling classes. Flyer classes too. It's getting a bit much though with all the driving! Could always do a tumbling class at the old place, it's nearer! :cool:

Wow... Blown away by the new gym tonight. I watched the end of practice. CP was in a row of 4 girls doing a little routine of 5678... Clap, jump forward, roundoff, stand clean. I could not believe she did it totally synced with the other girls. She must have paid attention earlier in the practice to learn it... It wasn't a difficult thing really, but I was so proud! :p

She told me they had been doing stunting earlier and she was a flyer and she was super excited to tell me they threw her into a cradle. And before that she had been standing up doing a high V. And standing on one leg.

Starting from next week no parents are allowed to watch the practices!!! Is this normal? It's because the girls need to focus and not wave to their moms apparently. Lol.

I talked to the coaches for the first time, they seem very nice, not as "tough" as I thought, but they are pretty strict with the girls when they are on the floor. I asked them to please tell me if CP needs to work on something. Especially now when I can't watch practice! They said they will. They said she's doing good but they are "throwing a lot at her". No specific mention of tumbling... yet anyway.

She got 2 sets of practice wear which is mandatory. One of the tops is so tiny! It's size child small but it looks like it could be for a doll. She loves these outfits but I can't help being a tiny bit shocked as I'm not used to seeing small children walking around dressed like that... but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Didn't get the chance to talk to the coach at the old gym when I was there for CP's little sister's gymnastics. I told her I needed to talk to her but then she disappeared. Great.

Oh and we have the last competition of the season in Daytona! That's not local to us. Pretty cool... I think.

Thanks for all your support and advice on this thread, it really meant A LOT!

Wow... Blown away by the new gym tonight. I watched the end of practice. CP was in a row of 4 girls doing a little routine of 5678... Clap, jump forward, roundoff, stand clean. I could not believe she did it totally synced with the other girls. She must have paid attention earlier in the practice to learn it... It wasn't a difficult thing really, but I was so proud! :p

Kids are so smart!

She told me they had been doing stunting earlier and she was a flyer and she was super excited to tell me they threw her into a cradle. And before that she had been standing up doing a high V. And standing on one leg.

Glad she's a flyer.

Starting from next week no parents are allowed to watch the practices!!! Is this normal? It's because the girls need to focus and not wave to their moms apparently. Lol.

Completely normal.

I talked to the coaches for the first time, they seem very nice, not as "tough" as I thought, but they are pretty strict with the girls when they are on the floor. I asked them to please tell me if CP needs to work on something. Especially now when I can't watch practice! They said they will. They said she's doing good but they are "throwing a lot at her". No specific mention of tumbling... yet anyway.

I have found when coaches set and strive for high expectations from the beginning, kids will rise to the challenge, regardless of age. Good for them!

She got 2 sets of practice wear which is mandatory. One of the tops is so tiny! It's size child small but it looks like it could be for a doll. She loves these outfits but I can't help being a tiny bit shocked as I'm not used to seeing small children walking around dressed like that... but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

A lot of parents have kids cover up with a t-shirt to the gym and home again. Well, I did when mine was that age. We live in a small town and running into Target or the gas station with practice wear on would be side eyed. Heck, she's 15 and still cover's up. Maybe keep a tshirt in the car for this purpose.

Didn't get the chance to talk to the coach at the old gym when I was there for CP's little sister's gymnastics. I told her I needed to talk to her but then she disappeared. Great.

Oh and we have the last competition of the season in Daytona! That's not local to us. Pretty cool... I think.

Thanks for your comments!

Yes, I'm starting to think that the stricter style of coaching is just what my CP needs! It seems to work well so far.

Good tip, will keep a t-shirt in the car in case we are stopping somewhere on the way.

Thanks for your comments!

Yes, I'm starting to think that the stricter style of coaching is just what my CP needs! It seems to work well so far.

Good tip, will keep a t-shirt in the car in case we are stopping somewhere on the way.

I realize there's a big difference between hot humid all the time FL and small town NC.......Maybe nobody would think a thing about it. But, it was just an idea for your personal peace of mind.

Anytime!!

Yes. Closed practices are common and generally occur when the parent area hasn't read the CTFD parenting method.

We actually asked our team mom to ensure the last choreo day was closed. No one needs to sit there and critique, speculate or second guess the coaches for 6 hours.

I realize there's a big difference between hot humid all the time FL and small town NC.......Maybe nobody would think a thing about it. But, it was just an idea for your personal peace of mind.

Anytime!!

I'm fine about her walking through the parking lot like that and outside our house... but no, not in a gas station or if the car broke down or something. Not even in FL that's normal everyday attire for 6-year-olds! ;)

Yes. Closed practices are common and generally occur when the parent area hasn't read the CTFD parenting method.

We actually asked our team mom to ensure the last choreo day was closed. No one needs to sit there and critique, speculate or second guess the coaches for 6 hours.

This is great, I didn't know about CTFD parenting method! (calm the f**k down) Will try to stick to that now.

This is great, I didn't know about CTFD parenting method! (calm the f**k down) Will try to stick to that now.
There's a great article online somewhere that outlines it. It's been posted in the parent section a few times but I couldn't tell you where

some small gyms will only allow your daughter to get to the most advanced level their gym has a team for and most of the time girls will progress beyond that level and need to move anyway...and no im not saying this is all gyms but ive learned this from personal experience...my own coach told me that i was no longer benefiting from my gym and told me to move...but since your daughter is so young use your own judgement only you know what your daughter likes and will benefit from the most.

Back