Local Small Gym Or Bigger Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok... now for the verdict. Thanks for the shimmy, my first! 1 looks better than 0. :)

CP said she absolutely loved it. She was a flyer again towards the end, first sitting on her butt with her legs out, then standing up quite high. Probably prep level? (I'm still learning these terms.) She LOVED it, the smile on her face was totally beaming. At the old place there is no way she'll be a flyer. Really she should be able to get a chance to fly this year, as she should be the smallest in Mini. Then next year and the year after, maybe not. And then if/when she joins Youth maybe again. So............... if she loves it, how can I say no? She's already learned the main cheer routine. The 1-2-3 arm movements and some different jumps and then ending with a roll. The coaches were pretty tough but she said she liked them. And apparently the main one said she could join if she wants to. I did not get the chance to talk to them as we left early while the other girls were getting their practice outfits. Will contact them and see what the deal is.

Congrats on your daughter success at the other gym and looking forward to hear more promising news about your little munchkin...:cheering:

Congrats on your daughter success at the other gym and looking forward to hear more promising news about your little munchkin...:cheering:

Haha, thanks!

Next thing to do will be telling the old gym she's quitting. I asked my husband if he will do it. He told me to "grow up".

I'm such a chicken and I hate confrontation. But I will have to tell the head coach the truth. I like her and I want to stay on good terms as my younger girl still goes to gymnastics there and she's the coach! And who knows, we might be back there for cheer in the future, you never know.

Haha, thanks!

Next thing to do will be telling the old gym she's quitting. I asked my husband if he will do it. He told me to "grow up".

I'm such a chicken and I hate confrontation. But I will have to tell the head coach the truth. I like her and I want to stay on good terms as my younger girl still goes to gymnastics there and she's the coach! And who knows, we might be back there for cheer in the future, you never know.

I can only speak for how I would handle this situation - seeing that your daughter is so new and young to the sport, I would just explain the situation the way you came on here and explained to Fierceboard... Mention to the coach, you appreciate everything that her gym have done and you hope to continue the relationship by allowing your daughter to continue to take gymnastic classes there. Good Luck!

Last edited:
New gym emailed me, CP is more than welcome to join the team. Yay! They also sent the pricing, it actually works out quite a bit cheaper even though practice is 1hr more a week AND 7 competitions compared to only 3. Now you're all going to say cheaper is not necessarily better... I know I know... but the manager at the old place is greedy in my opinion.

So that's it. Just gotta tell the old place... I'm dreading it. Feel like a "traitor". But at least it's not in the middle of the season, right?!

New gym emailed me, CP is more than welcome to join the team. Yay! They also sent the pricing, it actually works out quite a bit cheaper even though practice is 1hr more a week AND 7 competitions compared to only 3. Now you're all going to say cheaper is not necessarily better... I know I know... but the manager at the old place is greedy in my opinion.

So that's it. Just gotta tell the old place... I'm dreading it. Feel like a "traitor". But at least it's not in the middle of the season, right?!
Wow - that is very interesting that the pricing is cheaper for so many more competitions. That may be a reason you can use for making the switch. 7 competitions versus 3 is a huge difference!
I know she is young, but did your CP feel that her skills are comparable with the other kids on the team - meaning did she feel she was able to keep up and do similar skills?

Congrats on making a decision you feel good about! Now hold onto that because telling your old gym might turn into something it shouldn't and that's drama. I'm praying for your sake and your daughters that it's all good. But just be completely up front and honest. Everything you said here is truth and completely understandable. But it can really sting a small gym that's struggling to grow to lose their current customers to "that gym". So take a deep breath if they give you any crap or respond coldly. That's just a strike against them if they do.
Don't let any hard feelings they may have make you feel bad. You did your research, you weighed your options, you sought out objective advice and you made a choice that fits your family. Good for you. Stand by it because it is probably the right one and if it isn't then it sounds like you're smart enough to figure that out too. Gyms need more new parents that do their homework and due diligence.

Wow - that is very interesting that the pricing is cheaper for so many more competitions. That may be a reason you can use for making the switch. 7 competitions versus 3 is a huge difference!
I know she is young, but did your CP feel that her skills are comparable with the other kids on the team - meaning did she feel she was able to keep up and do similar skills?

Yes good idea, I will use that as one of the reasons. (the number of competitions)

Well... the thing was they didn't do much tumbling at the practice... so she (and I) couldn't really compare those skills. They did mostly stunting. My CP was really bad at being a flyer in the beginning but 1hr later she was already doing much better. I'm guessing tomorrow they will do more tumbling. Hoping not everyone already has their BWO. Ideal would be about half have it and the other half working on it. Can we be that lucky? :)

Congrats on making a decision you feel good about! Now hold onto that because telling your old gym might turn into something it shouldn't and that's drama. I'm praying for your sake and your daughters that it's all good. But just be completely up front and honest. Everything you said here is truth and completely understandable. But it can really sting a small gym that's struggling to grow to lose their current customers to "that gym". So take a deep breath if they give you any crap or respond coldly. That's just a strike against them if they do.
Don't let any hard feelings they may have make you feel bad. You did your research, you weighed your options, you sought out objective advice and you made a choice that fits your family. Good for you. Stand by it because it is probably the right one and if it isn't then it sounds like you're smart enough to figure that out too. Gyms need more new parents that do their homework and due diligence.

Thanks!

Well, I secretly want to tell them "what are you thinking when you put 5,6,7,8 olds in youth and then put my CP in with a handful of 5-6 year old complete beginners in mini? Do you really think that will feel like worth paying that much money for?" But that's mean and I shouldn't tell them how to run their teams. So I will say something like we feel that the teams aren't working for us this season and the other place is a better fit, for now anyway. Plus the fact that only 3 competitions feels like too little when we're expected to pay 300 bucks for uniforms. That's 100/competition just for uniform. Divide that by 2.5 mins and you'll get the cost per minute as $40. Lol.............

Yes, I did my research and homework and I made the best choice for my daughter. Or rather I let her decide really, but I agree with the decision. My husband also agrees when I told him everything.

Thanks!

Well, I secretly want to tell them "what are you thinking when you put 5,6,7,8 olds in youth and then put my CP in with a handful of 5-6 year old complete beginners in mini? Do you really think that will feel like worth paying that much money for?" But that's mean and I shouldn't tell them how to run their teams. So I will say something like we feel that the teams aren't working for us this season and the other place is a better fit, for now anyway. Plus the fact that only 3 competitions feels like too little when we're expected to pay 300 bucks for uniforms. That's 100/competition just for uniform. Divide that by 2.5 mins and you'll get the cost per minute as $40. Lol.............

Yes, I did my research and homework and I made the best choice for my daughter. Or rather I let her decide really, but I agree with the decision. My husband also agrees when I told him everything.

Can I just say good for you!! It not an easy decision but it oays off to do your homework. I really hope you CP has an amazing season and please let us know how it turns out

I have also had to make a decision abouta smaller or bigger program (I dotn use the word gym as most dont own a gym) I was orignally going to go for the bigger team but due to the fact i had surgery which has now caused some shoulder issues the higher level is going to be to much pressure so im going to go to a smaller programe who I spoke to the coach and she is a firm but fair coach and do level 2 and work on tumbling

Thanks!

Listen, you have to do what is best for your child. I would just tell your old gym you feel like this decision is best for your child and what your child wants as well. No hard feelings, you are just going to try it out this season since you are so new to the all star world. Your other child wants to stay there and you are fine with that, too. I would stay away from any other explanation. You will see these people at comps and when you take your gymnast there. I always think saying less is best.

Yep, I will try to say as little as possible, not keep going on and on...

A few of you might be curious as to what happens... but I feel I shouldn't really write about it (at least not in detail), just in case anyone from there or the new place reads this and figures out who we are... eh... HI! :oops:

Yep, I will try to say as little as possible, not keep going on and on...

A few of you might be curious as to what happens... but I feel I shouldn't really write about it (at least not in detail), just in case anyone from there or the new place reads this and figures out who we are... eh... HI! :oops:
Smart mama. You did your part of the researching. It's done. The rest is private (and you don't owe any one of us any info). I agree with less is more. But if the gym presses you just be truthful so they can understand. They should appreciate that and the fact that you're keeping your other child there.

I'm wondering if there is a commute to the new gym?

No, luckily not! The old one was 5 mins away, the new one is 10-15 mins. I happened to see a facebook page for Top Gun in Miami, and parents talking about carpooling from places like Jupiter which is like at least 2 hrs away... crazy.

No, luckily not! The old one was 5 mins away, the new one is 10-15 mins. I happened to see a facebook page for Top Gun in Miami, and parents talking about carpooling from places like Jupiter which is like at least 2 hrs away... crazy.
Oh there are people that drive farther than that to cheer there (and many other big gyms like that), many even move across the country to cheer there.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back