Makeup For Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I tried out for a world's team, we were instructed to look like we were showing up for a college tryout. But that was something we were explicitly told beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although in our years of cheering, AS, it was never written in packet that make-up is required. But, being at 2 gyms, small & large. You can pretty much tell when you are a returnee what the tryout culture is. Our 2nd season of tryout at large gym I told CP she might want to add a lil eyeliner & mascara to shjudge her look. She was trying out for a Sr team. All the girls had full-on makeup & hair & coordinating sports bra's & short/nike pros. My CP who is 16 only wears makeup for cheer comps and very special occasion lol. She is pretty modest and will not wear a sports bra w/o a t-shirt. She tried out with t-shirt & nike pros with a lil eyeliner & mascara.

I would go with age appropriate and comfort level of your CP.

Does it say that in your try out packet? I'm asking because we've always been with programs that give the same paperwork out to every single athlete who walks in the door whether they're a 3 year old Tiny or an 18 year old Senior. Each packet always list a do and don't of try out like do be on time, don't chew gum...that type of stuff. Anyhow, my point is, all three listed make-up as don't for try outs. Where we were at in MO was very conservative and make-up wasn't really a thing even on stage, but I've found the same info to be given at every gym local to us now that we're in the south. So I'm curious if it's something people just do or something gyms specifically ask for?

We are in the South & although it's not stated in the tryout packet most Senior aged girls do wear make up to tryouts. Not comp make up, but eyeliner, mascara & natural lipstick. They like Worlds kids to come to practices like this also. Not required but most do. Your CP is still young, it changes as they get older.

I'm going to disagree, especially since this is a tryout for a senior team. Most gyms, no matter how small, are looking for a well presented cheerleader, and make up is part of that. A senior team is going to want their athletes to look like senior aged kids even though the low age is 10. I would recommend high pony, bow and makeup - more of a natural look than stage ready. Good luck to your CP!

This is good advice. Age appropriate eyeliner, natural makeup that complements her coloring, blush and lipstick I think are important. When she's standing in front of the judges you want them to be able to "picture" her on the team and fitting right in. High Pony with a bow, to me, is a must! Good Luck!!

We've never gotten a do's and don't tryout list. My CP's tryout look has changed as the years have progressed and based on the team she wanted to make we tried to tailor it to the situation. Again, the point is to allow the judges to see your kid in their mind on the team they're aiming for.

This is good advice. Age appropriate eyeliner, natural makeup that complements her coloring, blush and lipstick I think are important. When she's standing in front of the judges you want them to be able to "picture" her on the team and fitting right in. High Pony with a bow, to me, is a must! Good Luck!!
Would her competition lipstick be too bright? It was a bright fuchsia color.
ETA- She also has never worn eyeliner, blush, or other makeup except for cheerleading. Would it be okay to go without?

@diazmomof1 as the majority of experienced parents have already recommended, i second the notion of light makeup and hair done. it doesn't have to be curled and teased but maybe a cute side braid with a high straight pony and bow.

We are big hair and lots of makeup type of gym on comp days but no one does that for tryouts or practice unless a film crew is in there for some reason. Practices are usually light makeup and hair in a bow for senior age teams and any other team that the coach requests it.

Texas-They may not say wear makeup in the tryout packet but you better believe every kidlet from youth on up has natural makeup and comp hair. Depending on the gym they may even jack that hair to Jesus for tryouts just like they would for competition. Like MsTeal said, the coaches need to be able to picture her on the floor with other senior kids.

Would her competition lipstick be too bright? It was a bright fuchsia color.
ETA- She also has never worn eyeliner, blush, or other makeup except for cheerleading. Would it be okay to go without?

I think the lipstick they wear to compete in would be perfect since that's the color the gym prefers! Eyeliner is a parent call.....if you don't want her to don't do it. (That's the beauty of being the parent...you get to decide for your child. LOL) At her age blush to me is important.....especially if she's going with the bright lipstick. You could do a natural eyeshadow that blends with her coloring and mascara.......for the blush just apply a little foundation to both cheeks for the blush to have something to stick to. Apply it in a way that would be acceptable for an everyday school, church look then add a little more. (again.......It will counterbalance the bright lip) There's a makeup thread around here somewhere we already talked about tryout makeup..........I'll see if I can find it.

I had never really even thought of my CP12 wearing make-up to tryouts. Our owner has never mentioned anything like that to us. CP tried out for a senior squad this year and I just sent her in with a tank and biker shorts in a low ponytail. What she wore did not impact her placement.
I would ask someone else that goes to the gym if they think make-up is necessary for tryouts.

Look good, feel good!

For what it's worth, my HS cheer packet doesn't mention make up but when asked about it, I tell the kids they need to look "game day pretty."

Do your hair like you'd do it for a game and do make up like you'd do it to look good under the lights.

It isn't scored, but no one typically shows up bare faced.

Does it say that in your try out packet? I'm asking because we've always been with programs that give the same paperwork out to every single athlete who walks in the door whether they're a 3 year old Tiny or an 18 year old Senior. Each packet always list a do and don't of try out like do be on time, don't chew gum...that type of stuff. Anyhow, my point is, all three listed make-up as don't for try outs. Where we were at in MO was very conservative and make-up wasn't really a thing even on stage, but I've found the same info to be given at every gym local to us now that we're in the south. So I'm curious if it's something people just do or something gyms specifically ask for?
FWIW, when I was cheering, my gyms didn't say you had to or not. I did not wear make up to any of my tryouts. I feel more comfortable without make up so that's what I did. The coaches aren't there to see how well I can fudge up eye liner - they're looking at how sick my level 3 tumbling skills are ;)

I had never really even thought of my CP12 wearing make-up to tryouts. Our owner has never mentioned anything like that to us. CP tried out for a senior squad this year and I just sent her in with a tank and biker shorts in a low ponytail. What she wore did not impact her placement.
I would ask someone else that goes to the gym if they think make-up is necessary for tryouts.
Good choice for your daughter

I totally agree with @onecoolcoachnowmom - "be game day ready". To me, that means that my nine year old does her hair and and makeup for all star evals. It was "high school comp ready" and not "arena ready". The hair wasn't jacked to heaven and the makeup didn't need to be seen by judges a half mile away, but it did show that she made an effort.

disclaimer- It is an added bonus since he also loves this side of the sport and struts her stuff when she knows she looks good.

Back