College Making The Transition To College Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SOOOO TRUE! My daughter decided to go for a D1 college cheer team about a year before college tryouts. THANK GOD she had/has the support of the MOST amazing, talented HONEST coaches. They told her if she wasn't 100% ready they would tell her & not give her a letter of recommendation.
She also busted her behind to make the level 6 team at her gym in spite of her being so young and THOSE bunch of Beasties taught her wicked level 6 stunting skills & upped her work ethic from great to down right insane. A couple of her coaches including her tumbling coach cheered for Louisville so she had their experience as an advantage and she was determined enough to do EVERYTHING they told her to do, down to the extensions in her hair, clinic clothes she wore and working that hard mat like nobodies business. If possible Find someone who cheered for the college your trying out for and ask for their help. There is nothing better than inside knowledge and experience. They worked on getting her tumbling technique perfect rather than crazy hard passes and her back spot stunting skills were solid because she was on a coed level 6 team who's stunts were max difficulty and flying real life regular size ATHLETES who are all over 21. they told me that the reason they felt she is a great fit for Louisville was her work ethic because with hers the coaches can COACH her and will teach her skills they need for their team if she didn't have them at 1st practice. I didn't believe that whole -does she have the "look" they want stuff I was hearing until I saw the athletes at tryouts. And although I HATE admitting it, the "look" is vital. So find out what your school wants their cheerleaders to look like on GAME DAY and dress/makeup/hair accordingly. Most of all DO NOT STOP SMILING and working your crowd. A returning cheerleader told my CP that advice. They will have you stand there for what feels like eternity and you best KEEP on your HAPPY FACE! Because on that sideline someone's always watching you ESPECIALLY the camera guys and tryouts are your 1st test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So true! Sounds crazy but every time I see a parent on the parent page of my older daughter's school (where my cp would like to attend and hopefully cheer) mention they have a cheerleader, I reach out to that parent and ask them questions and for their input. It even turned out that one parent's daughter cheered for the same allstar gym where cp currently cheers and mine was able to meet her daughter at a college clinic this past June. Mine looked tryout ready at the clinic down to the lipstick color they recommend for tryouts, and hopefully made a favorable impression.

So true! Sounds crazy but every time I see a parent on the parent page of my older daughter's school (where my cp would like to attend and hopefully cheer) mention they have a cheerleader, I reach out to that parent and ask them questions and for their input. It even turned out that one parent's daughter cheered for the same allstar gym where cp currently cheers and mine was able to meet her daughter at a college clinic this past June. Mine looked tryout ready at the clinic down to the lipstick color they recommend for tryouts, and hopefully made a favorable impression.

Yup! The advice from someone they trust and is telling them what they've actually done also added to her confidence that no matter what happened at least she'd look great! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back