College Maryland Cutting A&t

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cannot understand UMD losing 1.7 million PER YEAR with Women's BB…..they are NOT doing it right.

I'm not saying they're "doing it right" I'm simply saying basketball is a major sport and every major university has it. Along with conference requirements like what @Andre mentioned a few posts ago, the ACC probably requires all member schools to have Women's BBall. All Conferences have rules like this. Regardless of which style we like better STUNT vs A&T these arguments are kind of pointless (in my opinion) when neither are recognized by the NCAA as a sport.

Did I miss an earlier post where you showed a study of how MD was losing 1.7MIL on Women's' basketball? Regardless if in fact that is the case I think that reveals an even more important issue with relation to Title IX. The way laws are set up that "require" universities to provide equal opportunity for women seems to be more important than millions of dollars lost that could be used towards educational purposes. For the record I'm NOT saying there shouldn't be equal opportunity! I'm simply saying its interesting to me that everyone including the NCAA knows that the only two sports at any school that historically make money are the Football and Men's Basketball programs. Universities and Athletic Departments offer sports every year when know going in those sports are going to cost millions to participate with basically no return on their investment. To me its just an interesting dynamic... I'd never "knowingly" put large amounts of my money into something I know for a fact will not be returned.

I'm not saying they're "doing it right" I'm simply saying basketball is a major sport and every major university has it. Along with conference requirements like what @Andre mentioned a few posts ago, the ACC probably requires all member schools to have Women's BBall. All Conferences have rules like this. Regardless of which style we like better STUNT vs A&T these arguments are kind of pointless (in my opinion) when neither are recognized by the NCAA as a sport.

Did I miss an earlier post where you showed a study of how MD was losing 1.7MIL on Women's' basketball? Regardless if in fact that is the case I think that reveals an even more important issue with relation to Title IX. The way laws are set up that "require" universities to provide equal opportunity for women seems to be more important than millions of dollars lost that could be used towards educational purposes. For the record I'm NOT saying there shouldn't be equal opportunity! I'm simply saying its interesting to me that everyone including the NCAA knows that the only two sports at any school that historically make money are the Football and Men's Basketball programs. Universities and Athletic Departments offer sports every year when know going in those sports are going to cost millions to participate with basically no return on their investment. To me its just an interesting dynamic... I'd never "knowingly" put large amounts of my money into something I know for a fact will not be returned.

I am thankful that University presidents, boards of trustees, and parents of athletes in other sports (besides football and men's basketball) don't share this logic and YES still "knowingly" support both female and male athletes in a wide array of sports. Sometimes an "investment" (at least I'd hope) from youth sports all the way through the collegiate experience is not just about revenue. It is about an opportunity to participate in a healthy environment as a student-athlete. I love college football and both men's and women's basketball, but the list doesn't stop there...swimming, diving, soccer, track and field, gymnastics, baseball, softball, wrestling...just because they do not bring revenue does not mean that a meaningful experience that carrys weight beyond a $ value has not been attained. Your logic suggests that only revenue producing sports are worthy of a budget dedicated to an athletic opportunity. Since you cited the only TWO (both men's sports) you'd knowingly put your money on, do you not think the other male sports or ANY FEMALE sports deserve financial support at the collegiate level? And in staying on topic to the boards, for the females who train long and hard for their skills, for their parent's who work hard to pay the bills and invest in what their child loves to do, for the coach's who strive to produce top notch athletes in both character and skill, for the grandparent that would love to watch their grandchild compete beyond highschool, for the financially burdened parent who has never before had a dream realized that their child could be signed as A D1, 2 or 3 athlete with the potential for an athletic scholarship and a budget dedicated to their safety, athletic and academic well-being there is an opportunity on the horizon. Hopefully, everyone who shares this same dream will support Maryland.

I am thankful that University presidents, boards of trustees, and parents of athletes in other sports (besides football and men's basketball) don't share this logic and YES still "knowingly" support both female and male athletes in a wide array of sports. Sometimes an "investment" (at least I'd hope) from youth sports all the way through the collegiate experience is not just about revenue. It is about an opportunity to participate in a healthy environment as a student-athlete. I love college football and both men's and women's basketball, but the list doesn't stop there...swimming, diving, soccer, track and field, gymnastics, baseball, softball, wrestling...just because they do not bring revenue does not mean that a meaningful experience that carrys weight beyond a $ value has not been attained. Your logic suggests that only revenue producing sports are worthy of a budget dedicated to an athletic opportunity. Since you cited the only TWO (both men's sports) you'd knowingly put your money on, do you not think the other male sports or ANY FEMALE sports deserve financial support at the collegiate level? And in staying on topic to the boards, for the females who train long and hard for their skills, for their parent's who work hard to pay the bills and invest in what their child loves to do, for the coach's who strive to produce top notch athletes in both character and skill, for the grandparent that would love to watch their grandchild compete beyond highschool, for the financially burdened parent who has never before had a dream realized that their child could be signed as A D1, 2 or 3 athlete with the potential for an athletic scholarship and a budget dedicated to their safety, athletic and academic well-being there is an opportunity on the horizon. Hopefully, everyone who shares this same dream will support Maryland.

You clearly didn't read the part of my post that said "For the record I'm NOT saying there shouldn't be equal opportunity!" I was only making the observation that no other sports make money aside from Football and Men's basketball. I also did NOT say I would "ONLY" put my money in Football or Men's basketball. I did say "I'd never "knowingly" put large amounts of my money into something I know for a fact will not be returned." That was a general statement about my personal investments not men's vs women's sports. I do see value in athletic opportunities for both men and women. My thoughts on the subject were more directed at the supposed $1.7MIL that @Future says is lost yearly on women's basketball at the Univ of Maryland.

What I am saying is I think the system is broken where millions of dollars are knowingly lost every year. Its not about men vs women to me its about what could be done with that money to provide a better investment for the future for those athletes BOTH men AND women not just on the playing field but also in reference to their education. Lets be honest regardless of what sport any athlete plays the statistics any of them will be afforded a professional athletic career after college is VERY unlikely. I certainly don't have all the answers nor have I implied that I do.

You obviously took what I said personally, which was never my intent. Again my comments were about what I think is a broken system and I never said I didn't think "other male sports or ANY FEMALE sports deserve financial support at the collegiate level". Please do not put words in my mouth. Thanks!

P.S. I think what Maryland did with their competitive cheer program/A&T (whatever its called now) is awesome. I think it does help further competitive cheer, but unfortunately I think the biggest obstacle they're going to face with needing to raise over $9MIL (I think that's what someone posted on here) is in part b/c they're not a revenue source AND b/c more importantly neither A&T OR STUNT are recognized by the NCAA as a sport. Not just at Maryland but at any school that's chosen to participate in STUNT or A&T.

You clearly didn't read the part of my post that said "For the record I'm NOT saying there shouldn't be equal opportunity!" I was only making the observation that no other sports make money aside from Football and Men's basketball. I also did NOT say I would "ONLY" put my money in Football or Men's basketball. I did say "I'd never "knowingly" put large amounts of my money into something I know for a fact will not be returned." That was a general statement about my personal investments not men's vs women's sports. I do see value in athletic opportunities for both men and women. My thoughts on the subject were more directed at the supposed $1.7MIL that @Future says is lost yearly on women's basketball at the Univ of Maryland.

What I am saying is I think the system is broken where millions of dollars are knowingly lost every year. Its not about men vs women to me its about what could be done with that money to provide a better investment for the future for those athletes BOTH men AND women not just on the playing field but also in reference to their education. Lets be honest regardless of what sport any athlete plays the statistics any of them will be afforded a professional athletic career after college is VERY unlikely. I certainly don't have all the answers nor have I implied that I do.

You obviously took what I said personally, which was never my intent. Again my comments were about what I think is a broken system and I never said I didn't think "other male sports or ANY FEMALE sports deserve financial support at the collegiate level". Please do not put words in my mouth. Thanks!

P.S. I think what Maryland did with their competitive cheer program/A&T (whatever its called now) is awesome. I think it does help further competitive cheer, but unfortunately I think the biggest obstacle they're going to face with needing to raise over $9MIL (I think that's what someone posted on here) is in part b/c they're not a revenue source AND b/c more importantly neither A&T OR STUNT are recognized by the NCAA as a sport. Not just at Maryland but at any school that's chosen to participate in STUNT or A&T.

Thank you for the thump on the head. And just so we are CLEAR...I CLEARLY DID read your first disclaimer regarding equal opportunity. What became UNCLEAR was your final quote: I'd never "knowingly" put large amounts of my money into something I know for a fact will not be returned. This suggests that (YOU) would never support a sport if your investment was not returned. I took the word "investment" to mean monetary gain. I would CLEARLY offer an apology for putting words in your mouth, but perhaps CLEARLY these were the words out of your mouth...so maybe you could CLARIFY what a return investment on the head of a student-athlete is?

I did clarify in my previous response... Ultimately I can't stop you from your choice of interpretation I know what I said and I know what I meant. Feel free to disagree with me, which is 100% fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. I can understand why you'd draw the conclusion you did, when you take one statement out of the entire post yeah of course it looks that way. Anyway like I clarified I think they system is broken and I think there can be a better way. I'm NOT saying all sports that don't make money should be dine away with.

The school was putting money into the A&T program and getting nothing in return. Sure it isn't fair to say hey we are going to cut your program, but saying hey why don't you cut a different program isn't fair either. If it isn't fair to cut A&T then it isn't fair to cut the Women's Basketball team either. If anything the parents and supporters of the other sports will wonder why the school would keep A&T when they are not part of the NCAA.

If they set up somewhere for donations I will glady donate to the cause but I don't see how anyone could be confused as to why this is happening. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

The school was putting money into the A&T program and getting nothing in return. Sure it isn't fair to say hey we are going to cut your program, but saying hey why don't you cut a different program isn't fair either. If it isn't fair to cut A&T then it isn't fair to cut the Women's Basketball team either. If anything the parents and supporters of the other sports will wonder why the school would keep A&T when they are not part of the NCAA.

If they set up somewhere for donations I will glady donate to the cause but I don't see how anyone could be confused as to why this is happening. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Didn't Maryland unilaterally cut 8 teams? It is great that you are looking to donate! It appears that A & T has been coupled with, I believe Track...your donation will actually help both programs.

I have an idea that UMD A&T should do a t-shirt fundraiser since they need the money, and us cheerleaders could always use another cheer-related t-shirt for practice! It would be a great way to get the cause out to the public and I know that a lot of fierceboarders would love to help out the lady terps!

I have an idea that UMD A&T should do a t-shirt fundraiser since they need the money, and us cheerleaders could always use another cheer-related t-shirt for practice! It would be a great way to get the cause out to the public and I know that a lot of fierceboarders would love to help out the lady terps!

That would be a great idea but it is going to take a lot more then t-shirt sales to raise the $9.46 million that the track and A&T team needs. Anything is better then nothing though so it is a good idea.

Back