Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Kellys25

Cheer Parent
Mar 1, 2013
My 9 yo cp has been able to do her bhs for a year and a half. Recently while at practice she fell on her face while doing a standing bhs and is now scared to do it. She's fine doing her r/o multiple bhs, but the standing one is really freaking her out. Her coaches say that it's just a mental block from falling and even though this is her first time falling while doing she can't get past it. Is there anything I can say or do to help her through this? Thanks!

My 9 yo cp has been able to do her bhs for a year and a half. Recently while at practice she fell on her face while doing a standing bhs and is now scared to do it. She's fine doing her r/o multiple bhs, but the standing one is really freaking her out. Her coaches say that it's just a mental block from falling and even though this is her first time falling while doing she can't get past it. Is there anything I can say or do to help her through this? Thanks!
My number 1 suggestion to a parent dealing with this is be supportive and treat it calmly. Meaning treat it like its no big deal. The more pressure a parent puts on their cp to "get over it" can set your cp backwards. In my experience (15+ yrs of tumbling coaching) no one puts more pressure on the cp than the cp themselves. There is no secret cure. Repetition, repetition, repetition of positives will help best.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

As a mom dealing with the after effects of a very long mental block, all I can say is to say NOTHING about it unless she brings it up first. Just let her know that it's fine and it will come back. Reassure her that her coaches are there to make sure she's safe and that you know that it's scary once you've fallen. Then sit back, bite your tongue, and vent away in the parent's forum :)

Lol, I need to find this parent's forum! Thank you ladies. You're very right, she's a perfectionist when it comes to cheer and it frustrates her so much that she's scared to do it, she's usually fearless. From now on I will definitely not bring it up, I usually give her the ol' "you can do this, you got this" pep talk, but will now refrain unless she says something. I appreciate the help!

Lots of reps, even going back to BHS drills if needed to get her confidence up. And as PP's said, don't push her at all. If she feels like she has to have it for a certain competition, or tryouts, etc., all that pressure will make it harder to get over. In my experience, if she's 9 and usually fearless, she'll get over it pretty quick. But let her decide when to bring it up and do it.

Lol, I need to find this parent's forum! Thank you ladies. You're very right, she's a perfectionist when it comes to cheer and it frustrates her so much that she's scared to do it, she's usually fearless. From now on I will definitely not bring it up, I usually give her the ol' "you can do this, you got this" pep talk, but will now refrain unless she says something. I appreciate the help!
Message Sharkdad for access :)

I am on a level four team and have been havering problems for almost 2 and a half years. I don't know if I'm afraid of doing it or my body forgot how to just go for it. Does any one have any helpful suggestions????

Thanks! Yes, she has tryouts coming up soon so I think that makes her a little more nervous. It happened about a month ago, so it's still fairly fresh in her mind. I just feel bad because she's usually rushing me to get her to practice early and now she's definitely not as eager to go. Do you think I should ask her if she wants some privates for some one on one time or just leave it alone?

That's a tough call. If she mentions being frustrated maybe offer privates otherwise I'd let it go.

So I've given her space and didn't mention anything that has to do with tumbling. Then two days ago she asked if she could try her bhs with her dad spotting her. He did and she did it. Then she did it by herself at least 10 times! I was so excited. We gave her lots of positive reinforcement and I was so excited to come back on here and say thank you ladies! Then yesterday she wanted to try again and now she can't do it again :( I didn't pressure her or say anything except, you can try again later if you want. Does this happen? I'm a bit nervous b/c she starts her new tumbling class with her new gym on Saturday and it's a back tuck class so I don't know if she's going to have to show them her standing bhs. It's crazy b/c she can do her r/o bhs, and by the 3rd bhs it's just basically her doing a standing bhs. I just don't get it. What should I do?

As someone who has had a mental block on bhs and all my tumbling I want to say it comes and goes. When I wouldn't tumble at first all I had to do was have 1 spot and I'd be fine. Then this past summer I fell on a running layout and quit tumbling all together. With people putting pressure on me it made it worse. I've struggled with mental block in my 5 years of cheering. This past 6 months has been the worst. After taking tumbling privates again when season was over, I started working on my bhs again. I still won't throw it without a full spot (standing). I don't like my hands on the ground. On day while at tumbling i decided I needed to do my standing back. I will throw that now. I refuse to do running tumbling. Anytime someone talks to me about bhs or running I start to cry. I put so much pressure on myself that i break down. It's stressful. And the only way to get over it is to set your mind to what you want to do when you are comfortable doing it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Thank you all for posting this information - very helpful advice, facing a similar issue with my almost 11 year old. I've seen her tumbling - its beautiful - but she gets this mental block and nothing seems to help her get over it. I am going to try what you say above...but am nervous for her, with try outs quickly approaching for next season. Will keep you posted, hope it works!

I am so sorry Payton. That's sounds very frustrating for you. Thank you for giving me a glimpse into your and my cp's mind. I wish you much luck! I had my cp start counting before she did her standing bhs so she was focused on counting instead of throwing it. She said it worked for her! Then she went to her first tumbling class at her new gym and did 3 standing bhs in a row. She's never done that before. Maybe counting would be something to try. Good luck Heather!

I am so sorry Payton. That's sounds very frustrating for you. Thank you for giving me a glimpse into your and my cp's mind. I wish you much luck! I had my cp start counting before she did her standing bhs so she was focused on counting instead of throwing it. She said it worked for her! Then she went to her first tumbling class at her new gym and did 3 standing bhs in a row. She's never done that before. Maybe counting would be something to try. Good luck Heather!
It helps. I won't do it without.

Back