Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2012
so i need help. i keep on ketting my round off bhs and then lose them. i can throw it with a spotter but not by myself. any tips? thanks:help:

Visualize and use postive mental choreography - that means that everytime before you go, you tell yourself that you can do it and if needed use cues while doing the skills. When I had blocks on my back tumbling, I used to have to say 1 on the hurdle of my round-off, 2 on the bhs, and "flip!" when on my flipping skills. Anytime you start talking or thinking negative thoughts to yourself, it makes it that much harder to do it so only think positive thoughts such as "I can do this", "I'm awesome, I know I got this skill", ect.

Also, maybe go through progressions before taking it to the competitive floor. If you can do a round-off and then do the backhandspring onto a mat or on a trampoline/tumble trak/rod floor, get comfortable doing it there by yourself and then progress to the competition mat.

Visualize and use postive mental choreography - that means that everytime before you go, you tell yourself that you can do it and if needed use cues while doing the skills. When I had blocks on my back tumbling, I used to have to say 1 on the hurdle of my round-off, 2 on the bhs, and "flip!" when on my flipping skills. Anytime you start talking or thinking negative thoughts to yourself, it makes it that much harder to do it so only think positive thoughts such as "I can do this", "I'm awesome, I know I got this skill", ect.

Also, maybe go through progressions before taking it to the competitive floor. If you can do a round-off and then do the backhandspring onto a mat or on a trampoline/tumble trak/rod floor, get comfortable doing it there by yourself and then progress to the competition mat.

Thanks I will try this! :)

I used to have a mental block and what got me through it was already mentioned by DaniV but with a few added things. When I would stand in the corner before throwing a pass, I would have a little phrase of some sort to say or like a voiceover from a favorite teams mix. That got my mind off the tumbling and relaxed me. Then, when I was actually tumbling, I would use the key words like "go" or "push" to remind myself that I had to commit to the skill. It's all about committing to do the skill before you go. I know how awful it is having a block, good luck getting through it!

I used to have a mental block and what got me through it was already mentioned by DaniV but with a few added things. When I would stand in the corner before throwing a pass, I would have a little phrase of some sort to say or like a voiceover from a favorite teams mix. That got my mind off the tumbling and relaxed me. Then, when I was actually tumbling, I would use the key words like "go" or "push" to remind myself that I had to commit to the skill. It's all about committing to do the skill before you go. I know how awful it is having a block, good luck getting through it!

Thanks!! :)

so i need help. i keep on ketting my round off bhs and then lose them. i can throw it with a spotter but not by myself. any tips? thanks:help:
I had the exact same problem about a year ago. Whenever I went to do my backhandspring I kind of froze and ended up hurting myself more than when I actually threw it. So one day I thought to myself and said "I have nothing to fear but fear itself" and my tumbling coach also told me that I shouldn't be afraid of getting hurt because all bruises will heal. After convincing myself that I wasn't going to get hurt or land the wrong way I started throwing them! At first coming out of a mental block they're not going to be perfect, but get back up and make sure you constantly do them. Another thing that helped me get over my mental block was doing round offs and then stopping and doing standing handsprings because it helped me realize that if I could do both separately I can do them together! Good luck.

so agree with DaniV, i had the same problem and i used to not throw it AT ALL and just get pissed off and mad but i started telling myself before i went you can do this and as your doing it keep pushing yourself to just do it. you know you have it its just in your mind. picture yourself when your not in the gym wherever you are just doing it and always remind yourself you can do it, it really does help!

I agree 100% with everything everyone's saying. I myself have had one for the past few years, and won't throw tumbling because of an injury and my fear of getting hurt again...which I am now, but that injury wasn't my fault...but anyways, you know you can do the tumbling, so face your fears and go for it! :)

Back