Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 6, 2014
I am on a medium coed level 5 team and I have no problem with the skills I have but I have recently developed a strange fear of the tumble track and rod floor. I need those tools to further develop my tumbling so any advice?

I am on a medium coed level 5 team and I have no problem with the skills I have but I have recently developed a strange fear of the tumble track and rod floor. I need those tools to further develop my tumbling so any advice?
Maybe you don't need them as much as you think. Lots of athletes can get skills without those items. It comes down to good technique and a good coach.

Try talking to your tumbling instructor though. They may have some ideas

*if a cheerleader retires early, before aging out, do they receive reduced benefits?*

I think CheerDad has good advice- to not give the situation too much weight. When we start to worry about things, those worries can often get bigger and take over. It's important to remember that you have the skill and you being able to do that skill doesn't change based on the surface. Yes, skills feel different on different surfaces but try to build confidence in the skill and hopefully the surface will matter less. Also, consider getting comfortable with the rod floor and tumble track with other skills and maybe that will help with these ones that are giving you a challenge (I think those are the places you mentioned having trouble- didn't quote you so I may not be recalling correctly). I'm a mental toughness trainer and help athletes with things like this so if you're still having trouble, feel free to send me a message and we can chat more.

I think CheerDad has good advice- to not give the situation too much weight. When we start to worry about things, those worries can often get bigger and take over. It's important to remember that you have the skill and you being able to do that skill doesn't change based on the surface. Yes, skills feel different on different surfaces but try to build confidence in the skill and hopefully the surface will matter less. Also, consider getting comfortable with the rod floor and tumble track with other skills and maybe that will help with these ones that are giving you a challenge (I think those are the places you mentioned having trouble- didn't quote you so I may not be recalling correctly). I'm a mental toughness trainer and help athletes with things like this so if you're still having trouble, feel free to send me a message and we can chat more.

My daughter has the same fear. She is tall and also on a level 5. She won't tumble on either rod floor or tumble track. She feels there's not enough room. She uses all Debbie Loves techniques for tumbling blocks. Just a suggestion to read them and use her tools.
They seem to be helping, she was on the tumble track this week.

My daughter has the same fear. She is tall and also on a level 5. She won't tumble on either rod floor or tumble track. She feels there's not enough room. She uses all Debbie Loves techniques for tumbling blocks. Just a suggestion to read them and use her tools.
They seem to be helping, she was on the tumble track this week.
Debbie Love is great! She's also a supporter of our work to help work through mental blocks and fears- I know she's been hugely helpful for cheerleaders!

Back