College Metal Brace At Nationals?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
I have a breg X2 knee brace that I have to wear any time I do a "sportlike activity" for at least the next three years.
Multiple teammates and one coach have said that it can't be worn at nationals.

I have a doctors order to wear it any time I tumble or stunt, and he said that no other knee brace would do, they have to be one made for post-reconstructive surgery knees. Yet, looking at Breg and DonJoy, they're all either resin or metal and are hard.

Can I wear it on the mat at nationals?
Do we have any NCA rule junkies or judges on here?
Help.

I tried looking through the NCA rule book - I thought they had a rule about hard casts, but I couldn't find anything about that (though I didn't look that hard). http://nca.varsity.com/pdfs/college_rule_book.pdf

The metal on that one might cause you issues, I think I've seen people compete with ones that were plastic where yours is metal.

ASCheerMan can probably give you a better answer.

Thank you! It really has me nervous. I need the brace to tumble, and I can't afford a new one without a prescription (which would be hard to get).

I PMed him, thanks for the help guys! Ill post the answer here later incase anyone else ever has a similar problem and searches for this thread.

Most braces are made of carbon frames not metal which is ok for the floor metal could really damage someone if they came down wrong or something and landed on it...I would think metal is a nono :/

The rule is a USASF rule--and vague on purpose--so it's easy to be compliant. For any 'hard or unyielding' cast/brace, an attempt must be made to cover the hard edges. So wrap a little gauze and tape around it and you will be absolutely fine.

I responded to the above question assuming it was an all star team. I can't even remember off the top of my head if there is a rule for College, but if there is, it's no more harsh/strict than the AS rule I relayed.

Thank you everyone that replied!!
Here! I gift!

2zjl2yg.jpg

This may not be helpful but i know in HS you just cover up the metal or hard edges with tape. Idk how that makes it "safer" but it makes it legal lol.

Won't it be under your pants anyways?

Yeah, but if they do piercing checks so I honestly wouldnt be all that surprised if my giant knee brace was called out.
EDIT: Never been to nationals, but state did piercing checks. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt gonna have an issue now so that I didnt have any unwanted surprises at nationals later on.

Yeah, but if they do piercing checks so I honestly wouldnt be all that surprised if my giant knee brace was called out.
EDIT: Never been to nationals, but state did piercing checks. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt gonna have an issue now so that I didnt have any unwanted surprises at nationals later on.

They don't do piercing checks as far as I can remember. But you'd be stupid to risk it and your coach would probably kill you.

But better safe than sorry.

definitely understandable to find out from the beginning! best of luck!

Back