Moving On.....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 3, 2014
How do you know when its time to move on to a new gym? I'd like input on when its time, how you know its time and personal experiences on transitioning when you do decide to switch. How do you make the change when you've been loyal to a gym for years?

How do you know when its time to move on to a new gym? I'd like input on when its time, how you know its time and personal experiences on transitioning when you do decide to switch. How do you make the change when you've been loyal to a gym for years?
Do you have access to the parent section yet?

I believe You will get many more responses there.

@SharkDad

Puts on shades, flips hair, and walks away

I tagged SharkDad bit you can send him a pm as well. He is the keeper of the gate.

Puts on shades, flips hair, and walks away

From an athletes perspective - the short version: when you're not happy there anymore. The long version: I think it's different in every situation. But if your gut instinct is even hinting to leaving then maybe you should figure out why. Are you unhappy with the people? The way things are ran? Are you not being pushed? The loyalty thing is really hard to get past but people who care about you will still be there when you switch gyms. At the end of the day it's your money, your happiness, and your time. Don't worry about other people.

I switched to Gym B after being at Gym A for 8 years. To say we were "loyal" to them was an understatement. For 6 of those years both my mom and dad coached there and my brother also cheered. My whole entire family was involved with Gym A. My grandma made some of the very first uniforms. We were there for so many ups and downs with that gym -wins, loses, deaths, marriages. They were extended family. But there came a time where things were happening that we didn't want to deal with and I wanted to switch. It's scary at first, especially when Gym A and B are in the same building - even share the same parking lot. But it was totally worth it and the people at gym A were understanding. And people who weren't? Well they didn't matter after a couple months.

Advice though if you do switch: be very open with Gym 1 and tell them you've decided to switch to gym 2. Don't let them find out through the grape vine. That will stir up more drama than needed.

Good luck with your decision!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

You know when you buy something and you get it home and decide to bring it back because it didn't fit right and/or it was more than you wanted to spend and/or you realized you didn't really need it? Bottle up that feeling...because it's very similar. Once you get beyond all the personal ties...it's a product you are paying for.

From an athletes perspective - the short version: when you're not happy there anymore. The long version: I think it's different in every situation. But if your gut instinct is even hinting to leaving then maybe you should figure out why. Are you unhappy with the people? The way things are ran? Are you not being pushed? The loyalty thing is really hard to get past but people who care about you will still be there when you switch gyms. At the end of the day it's your money, your happiness, and your time. Don't worry about other people.

I switched to Gym B after being at Gym A for 8 years. To say we were "loyal" to them was an understatement. For 6 of those years both my mom and dad coached there and my brother also cheered. My whole entire family was involved with Gym A. My grandma made some of the very first uniforms. We were there for so many ups and downs with that gym -wins, loses, deaths, marriages. They were extended family. But there came a time where things were happening that we didn't want to deal with and I wanted to switch. It's scary at first, especially when Gym A and B are in the same building - even share the same parking lot. But it was totally worth it and the people at gym A were understanding. And people who weren't? Well they didn't matter after a couple months.

Advice though if you do switch: be very open with Gym 1 and tell them you've decided to switch to gym 2. Don't let them find out through the grape vine. That will stir up more drama than needed.

Good luck with your decision!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I agree wholeheartedly with everything said in this post. We just moved CP from her first and only gym (we were there 4 years) to a rival gym. We went in together and discussed it with the coaches (my CP was awesome in speaking from her heart, I cried). To me, this is the only way to show your intent in moving forward to another gym and your respect to the coaches and program who have so far helped in training your child. I will miss the staff at our old gym and all of my relationships as will my CP but she is thrilled and excited for the new challenge.

Back